New to the forums. What LED's to get?

• Thread starter Cosmic Superchunk
  • Start date
C

Cosmic Superchunk

New to the forums. What LED\'s to get?

Hi all, I'm new to CandleForums and I have been bitten by the flashlight bug in addition to my 8 year knife addiction.
grin.gif
I can't say that I know alot about LED's but I'm learning thanks to you guys. My only experience with LED lights are with the Photon Microlights and a recently purchased CMG Infinity. My question is, what others do you guys recommend and which ones to stay away from? Thanks in advance.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New to the forums. What LED\'s to get?

Hmmmmm,
Well, you got the small LED purchase done, if you want one smaller, get the Arc AAA (single AAA) light.
After that, it gets interesting!
smile.gif
Luxeon 1.25 watt and Luxeon 5 watt LEDs are the big monsters of LED lights. Arc, Surefire, CMG and others make consumer lights to choose from.
For more general evil in the world of flashlights, MrBulk, Elektrolumens, Inretech, McGizmo, AB, dat2zip, Lambda and others make some interesting flashlight mods. Depends if you want regulated light, small lights, large lights, different colored lights... the list is endless!
List your demands in a light (size, output, what type of batteries and cost) there is something out there for you.

Mrd 74

Enlightened

Get yourself an Arc AAA, it seems to be a requirement here but you won't regret it.

Saaby

Flashaholic

It's gotta be the AAA. If you don't get one now you will later and wish you had sooner.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome to CPF Cosmic Superchunk!

You will need to run your Reactor on Lithium AAs for both respectable output and good runtime, IF it is the 2AA model. Don't even think about Lithium AAs in the Reactor 3 (3AA).

The top of the line LS light is the Arc LSH-P. Also expensive, but worth the price.

The CMG Ultra is a good one: 1 white LED and 1AA. Can use Lithium AA. Very respectable output.

Take your time and read through the posts here, and read the reviews here and on the various reviews websites.

I found Arc Flashlight (Arc LS) via the LED Museum, and this forum via Arc Flashlight website. It took me 2-3 days to wade the the threads on the Arc LS, before I made my decision to get one. I did not understand what all the raving was about, until I got mine: WOW! (That was the old revision 1 circuit and bezel.)

Other good lights are the Lightwave series: 2000, 2100, 3000, 4000, and Illuminator.

2000 and 2100: 4 LEDs, 3AA. different bodies.
3000: 7 LEDs, 3C
4000: 10 LEDs, 3D
Illuminator: 4 LED, 3AA - Headlamp

I have the 4000 and Illuminator. My Arc LS is brighter than the 4000.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have:
Photon II ...really like it.
Photon III...on my keychain everyday. Love it!
Infinity Blue-Green on lithium...my car emergency light (+ a PT Rage)
Infinity Ultra...my wife's favorite light and great for camping
Energizer 2 LED folding lantern...great for camping
ARC AAA...great light! - but sits on my shelf
BadBoy 400 in MagLite w/Kroll switch...great light, but I don't use it much.

PT Attitude...my favorite light of all of the flashlights I own!

The PT is great on NiMH batteries (highly recommended as a battery source)! I use it for 95% of all the times I use any flashlight.

If I could only have 3 flashlights at all, of any kind... I'd have a Photon III (or possibly the ARC AAA) on my keychain, the PT Attitude (no doubt!) and a PT Surge (just got this and really love it!). ...and, I'd run 'em all on NiMH! Except the Photon.
smile.gif

Zephyr

Enlightened

I would echo what most have been uttered already and recommend the ARC AAA. After that, I would recommend purchasing mods from Elektro Lumens, Mr Bulk, Lambda, and other mod gurus on this forum. Their are plenty of options to choose from.

ZEPH

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I add a recommendation for ARC AAA. That or an Infinity Ultra goes where I go on Paracord around my neck every day!

I also add a rec for PT Attitude. Not blinding by any means but nice smooth output of blueish white light!

Ain't cheap by any stretch but: dat2zip Madmax sandwich for a M!n!m*g. With nx05 optics decently wide decently far throw. Mine is rather pinkish. You GOTTA add a tail switch, whether Kroll or Ram. If you have an older somewhat beat up mini like mine, no one would be likely to try and steal it either!!! Can run Alkys, Liths, or NimHs.

Stay away from PT Impact. Screwy throw, and not anywhere NEAR as bright and far throw as I thought it would be.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast

Let us know what you want to use it for (to WOW your friends, long runtime safety light, every day carry on keychain with intermittent use, heavy use on a job site, etc...) also a price range and we can give you our opinion on what we think fits the criteria.

Now a days there are a lot to choose from. For example I EDC a CMG Ultra on my keychain, and use a PT Aurora when I need to use both my hands.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Cosmic Superchunk,

If you spend some time reviewing the information on this forum you will find information on about every kind of LED light around (as well as all of the other types of lights). Check it out.

A lot of the choices depend on what you want to do with the light and how much you want to spend. The standard answer around here is to buy one of each, test them out for awhile, then report back on what you like and dislike.

Tom

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast

SureFire E1e with KL1.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Thanks for the info guys. I'm looking for a pocketable light or one you can wear in a sheath about 4-5 inches. I'm looking for an EDC with a decent output, but one that won't drain out the batteries too quickly. By the way, is there a difference in light output between the Arc AAA and the Arc AAA LE? Also, I browsed through pocketlights.com and saw an odd looking light called the Epoch4. Any opinions on this particular light?

Entropy

Enlightened

4-5 inches - Sounds like MiniMag form factor.

Get a BadBoy 400 from dat2zip, Kroll tailcap switch, and if you desire a flood, the McFlood reflector optics. Put it in a MiniMag and you have an amazing light.

Another option for donor light is the Brinkmann Legend 2AA, which includes a very nice tailswitch from what I've heard.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Thanks for the replies. I've been reading through reviews of the Inova 5XT and I'm thinking of purchasing one. Of course, I am definately getting an Arc AAA, but I like the LE version and it's proving to be hard to find.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

good choice on the aaa, it is basically a requirement

also, look into the arc ls if you haven't, it is a little bit more $$$ than the x5t, but the output is much better, and it's an arc.

pkkrusty

Newly Enlightened

I'm in the market for both a IR headlamp (for assisting in night camcorder operation) and a UV light with an extremely narrow, long-throw beam (for trail marking).

I went to a couple websites of manufacturers, and found that I had a number of choices as to the wavelengths of the IR LEDs I could choose from. (UV too, but that's not as much of an issue) I was wondering which wavelength would work best for the current capabilities of camcorders with IR?