I need monster throw -Whats the best way? *Got it*

JanCPF

Enlightened
I need a lot of throw from a Lux running on one or two Li-Ions in a E2e or C2 body. Never mind side spill on this light. (Actually I'm contemplating weather I should buy a turbohead for my C2 (running 2xR123) or go the Lux III route, however I like the color temp of Luxeons much more than hotwires). I only need constant light for a few minutes at a time, and total runtime is not an ussue. The throw has to be considerabley better that the new style KL1 (which is already quite good), so I figure I should have an Aleph 3 head with about 1000 mA drive current built by one of the modders, and put it on my E2e body, but would this be the best way to go, and would it throw further than 4th gen KL1? In case of Aleph 3 head, what type of LE should I choose if I want it to run on one or two Li-Ions? Thanks.

Modderators: Please move my post if it should have been in the modified lights forum.

Jan

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I need monster throw - Whats the best way?

The 4th-gen KL1 still loses out to a big Mag with its 52mm reflector. The reason why I mentioned this is because the McGizmo PR-T with 27mm reflector has identical performance to the big Mag and while I did not have my PR-T at that time, I compared the KL1 and the big Mag. With regards to the Mag's 52mm, size is not everything.

The PR-T/Mag will hold a 30ft (roughly) spot at 330 yards. Visible, not that bright, but I'm surprised it can reach out that far to begin with. Both are using Lux3s for max throw. All of these were tested on the same range as my KT1+MN15. The MN15 is a little brighter, but that's because it's a 125-lumen device.

You'll probably want a Downboy 1000 converter (VIn of 7.6-8.4V exceeds Lux3 Vf of 3.5V). Note that the Aleph 3 has a truly huge 38mm reflector, which should provide for even better photonic management and throw than the PR-T.

Go for a UX1L Luxeon 3, the Vf is a bit high but personally I have had no issues with "L" Vf. Especially since you said total runtime is not that big an issue. The more light, the brighter the spot at any given distance.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, I'd think the best way is the Aleph3. Maybe because I have one, it's seeping the attraction into my brain. .

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Aleph3 with a DownBoy converter at 1000mA normally, if you are really pushing it you can go for more, say 1200mA.
This thing is a throw king, but don't forget that the head is quite big when compared to a regular E-Series head ...

Aleph3 on E2e with Standard Aleph Tailcap housing the McE2S 2-Stage module:

Aleph3NAT.jpg

The Aleph3 won't fit on a C-Series light.

On one Li-Ion you might be in direct drive really soon depending on the Vin of your emitter, on 2 Li-Ion it is perfect. If you want the option of 1-3 Li-Ion and 2-4xCR123 the DownBoy is your ticket. On 1xLi-Ion or 1x123 I'd go for the NexGen BadBoy converter or the Wiz2.

For more info on those excessively complicated questions look at the Aleph-FAQ at the top of the McGizmo forum and read it all ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bernhard

JanCPF

Enlightened

Kevin, Your comparison with the KT1 is very valuable information to me. Thanks. A turbo head is not cheap (at least $100) and I've grown so accustomed to LED tint, that I think incans look plain yellow. I know that the Aleph 3 build is even more expensive, but I get that great cool white light, and probably also longer runtime, although that's not important.

Kiessling, Thank you for the nice photo and info. Yes I am aware that the head is quite big, but compared to a turbo head it's still smaller and I won't EDC it anyway, so it's not a big issue. I know of and have also read the Aleph-FAQ. (Great piece og information /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif)

Now where can I get hold of an Aleph 3 head in HA-nat like the one i your picture Bernhard?

Jan

wquiles

Flashaholic

Not cheap, and something you would have somebody build for you, but this would be another option if you want a nice 5W LED driving a TurboHead:
Turbosink28.jpg

Will

cy

Flashaholic

depends upon your budget, size you are willing to carry, LED vs hotwire etc?

akula88

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
wquiles said:
Not cheap, and something you would have somebody build for you, but this would be another option if you want a nice 5W LED driving a TurboHead:
Will

[/ QUOTE ]

Who built your module?

wquiles

Flashaholic

That is the photo of the guy who sold me the metal module/adapter (the piece hodling the emiter LED).

I am actually about to build my own in the next week or so. I have been slowly getting all of the components: the custom Turbo Head module (for me this was the hardest part to find), 5W emiter, and just ordered a downboy and the artic alumina adhesive. It should be a fun project /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This will be my first one, so I am not going to offer making one for you (even if I could find the parts) since I can't guarantee that even mine will work properly, but others here at the CPF's have done these in the past, some with the mightly X3T premium, high lumen 5W led!. If you post in the your interest somebody might either have one for sale or be willing to make you one.

I will let you know in a couple of weeks how mine turned out.

Will

cy

Flashaholic

if you are going to use the module kit in your pic. you'll need a collar to make work properly. I lathed out a collar and matched up a spring on the X4T module shown below.

note the turbo head mated to bored out L5 body to accept 18650 li-ion. a C2 body can do the same.

x4t module.JPG

SubtleIrony

Newly Enlightened

Speaking of monster throw, I wonder how the new Lioncub with the Lionhead compares to the Aleph 3... I have an Aleph 3, but want more throw. I read somewhere on the forum that there is a 40something mm prototype Aleph... would be awesome combined with a U binned lux 3.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

SubtleIrony,

To clarify, the light you mention is not an Aleph nor will it be compatable with E series lights.

HD45-cliff.jpg

The light has a 45 mm reflector based on the same parabolic curve (same focal length) as the McR27 and McR38. I have put together a few now and I was disappointed in lux readings at one meter as they were not really that much higher than the 38 with the exception of one with a UY0J that measured 8100 lux at one meter. With a target down range, this reflector is obviously brighter and tighter than the 38 mm.

Upon further consideration and inspection, I have come to the conclusion or realization that some of these larger reflector lights and really many of the lights should be measured at distances greater than a meter as well to get a feel for the amont of divergence of the beam.

If you look straight into a LED reflector, you can see the yellow gold of the phosphor. On the 45 mm light, you need to be about 6 feet away before you see the complete reflector filled with gold. I have understood all along that measuring the lux at a fixed distance could be somewhat misleading due to posible convergence as well as divergence of the beam. Experimenting with this light has really driven that point home to me! The more colimated or parallel a beam is, the less its lux reading will drop over distance.

This light has a completely new design with a new converter, new means of contacts and a new reflector. Until the production parts are in hand and tested, it's premature to discuss it in any real detail. The converter is an efficient buck/ boost of Wayne's design with two levels of constant current output; probably start with 100 and 1000 mA. The battery tube is designed to host 2x123 or 1x18650. There may be an issue with the anode contact of the 18650 and until we can test production parts, the viability of use with the 18650 is uncertain. The LED drops into a pocket in an integral bulknead so the head itself is the heatsink as was the case with the McLux and PR series; no removable light engine here.

This light is not designed for in close work in the dark! It does have outstanding range in the dark as well as intensity to overcome shadows in ambient light. It's interesting to me that this light has the same beam that the 27 mm does but in addition, a significant amount of light that was spill in the 27's beam is collumated and overlays the center beam as well as a reduced diameter of spill. The spill on the 45 is significantly and noticibly brighter than that of the 27. To a lesser extent, the same can be said in comparison to the 38 mm reflector.

If you want more throw than the Aleph 3, this 45HD might fit your needs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Realistically, I hope some of these will be going out in mid June. It could be sooner if Murphy is asleep.

edison

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
If you want more throw than the Aleph 3, this 45HD might fit your needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa! You've got my attention.

The new light you've described and shown in the picture is exactly what I've been wishing for. What is the prototype's body diameter?

JanCPF

Enlightened

That looks very interesting Don. Will the bezel be compatible with either C or E bodies?

Jan

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi guys,
As soon as I have production parts, I will take the time to photograph the components and do the run time tests and obligatory beam shots. This light has no compatability with any other platform. The head has a male threaded extension on the rear with two O-rings which screws into the batery tube and as tightened further, you encounter the low level and further tightening takes you to high level. This light was designed with heavy wall thicknesses and on a KISS principal. The window is retained by an outer O-ring; no threaded bezel ring. The window is a thick .177" abrasioun resistant coated poly carbonate window and likely not optimal in light transmission. On the other hand, the window can take a beating and some external pressure without failing. It's not too difficult to replace, either. For maximum lumens, an AR coated glass window could be used as a substitute.

I won't tout this light as a dive light but with the double O-rings in the head to tube bore, now opening in the tail and the way the window seals in the head, this light should not be prone to water entry, even under pressure.

The battery tube is 1" in OD and the head has a maximum OD just under 2 3/16" in OD.

Tom, in comparing notes in the past, my light meter may be on the low or conservative side. I have measured three of these heads now and seen two come in in the high 5000's and the one measure a bit above 8000 lux at one meter. I would guess that the 45 mm reflector would measure somwehere between 1000 and 2000 more lux than a 38 mm reflector would on the same light source. Since the 45HD head will not accept an Aleph LE, I can't make a simple, apples to apples comparison. My shop won't allow for setting up for a 3 meter measure but in my new digs, I should be able to set up a test range and will do so.

Wayne has another driver that we will be using on the upcoming McLuxIII-PD that is capable of outputing an honest 900+ mA from a single 123 cell and I have made one body that is 1x123 to couple with this HD45 head. I was hoping for an impressive if not silly set of numbers from a single 123 light. I now expect the beam from this one off to be more impressive, down range, than the lux measure might imply. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

cy

Flashaholic

Don, will this 45HD use a star or emitter?

edison

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

cy,

As you can see from the shot below, the HD uses an emitter and in fact, the emitter is well buried down there! Excess thermal epoxy may well help transmit some of the heat into the bulkhead from the plastic housing of the emitter. The emitter will be removable but most likely destructively! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LEDinHead.jpg