Arc-AAA beta test and general topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread is continued from the 2nd Arc-AAA thread. <Admin, can that thread be closed and directed here please?> For those just joining, the New Arc-AAA is nearing production. This thread is for the beta testing and general questions. This version of the Arc-AAA is based on the original version first introduced to the CPF back in May of 2001. New features include 80% brighter output and more durable construction.

The New Arc-AAA

AAAcomputer.jpg

- $39.95 Premium / $29.95 Standard
- Revision 4
- Powered by a single AAA cell (lithium, alkaline or NiMH)
- 5 hour runtime to 50% output with alkaline
- Partially Current regulated DC/DC step-up chip converter
- Premium: 5.5 Lumens minimum (~40,000mcd @ 1m)
- Standard: 3 lumens
- New Nichia CS 5mm LED in Premium
- Waterproof to over 100 feet
- Tough Type III Hard Anodize finish
- New SS Rivet in battery compartment improves corrosion resistance
- Laser marked inscription
- Made in USA
- Includes detachable clip and Duracell battery

Website is coming soon and it will accept MC,Visa and Paypal and ship internationally via FedEx. Currently, we are in the public beta test period. Beta testers are encouraged to post the results of their tests here in this thread.

Peter Gransee

cgpeanut

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
So far, my testing has been very positive. I don't have much time at the moment to get into details, however I will say that I like the Arc-AAA Rev4. The tint is much nicer, brighter and has a smoother appearance. It's not perfect and it's not luxeon quality, but compared to all prior versions of the Arc-AAA it's a great improvement. The feel of the light is different, as in the knurling. It doesn't feel as agressive and appears to be more "angled-cut" than on prior versions. So far it's held up nicely to the normal cold/heat/drop type testing. I have not yet did any runtime testing on this yet. To be honest, the majority of my testing has been focused on the twist-off/twist-on action and functionality. To date, it's proven to be very reliable.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have read a lot of comments about knurling regarding this light. I don't own one (yet), but I do own an Ultra-G which has minimal knurling and the rest is smooth HA. I really like the feel of the smooth HA, and was wondering if you were planning to make any with less knurling coverage. It might be easy to do. If I had to choose between two, I would probably choose the one with less knurling. Just a thought... good luck with your cool project.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greg, The positive contact is still soft solder. Just like what has been used for years to make contact between a bulb and the positive contact of a cylinderical battery. In normal use, it will last for years. It can also be resurfaced to shiny newness with a regular soldering iron. Usually at the same time, we swap out the foam retainer and o-ring for new parts. These are provided to owners of Arc-AAAs at no charge.

Greenlight, we have protos with half of the knurling. They just don't look right to me. However, if a sufficient number of people emailed me asking for it, we might make it.

Btw, another question we get a lot is what the drive current to the LED is. With the Rev4, the drive current is the same as before (~45mA), the increase in output is due to a more efficient LED.

Peter

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Peter. My 1 year old AAA-P has given no trouble.
Still, it would be nice if the premium version could have
a gold or other premium positive contact. Even if just
for the placebo effect /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greg

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
>>5 hour runtime to 50% output with alkaline

What is the RT with Lithium AAA's?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bmstrong, about 6 hours with a Lithium AAA. The light will also produce a flatter discharge, maintaining brightness longer.

Peter

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far so good. I'm still amazed at the amount of light this puts out for a single 5mm LED. Drop tests while the Arc-P was frozen yeilded no ill effects. On-off operation is perfect, a bit smoother than previous versions. Beam quality is also a little better than most of the older Arc AAA's I've seen. The knurling is less agressive, but I think I like it better that way. I've tried several brands of Alkaline AAA's, Lithium AAA's and Rayovac NIMH AAA's and they all work fine. The NIMH's produce a little less light output but not much, I don't think you would notice it.

bmstrong,
There is a graph in the other Arc thread.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some comparison shots between the previous Arc AAA standard version and the new Arc-P:

arcaaa4beam1.jpg

arcaaa4beam2.jpg

arcaaa4beam3.jpg

Here is a shot of the new stainless steel negative battery contact (the black stuff is pieces of Duracell label that wore off):
arcaaa4inside.jpg

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, any comparisions against a new Photon Freedom that has the same LED with fresh batteries in the Freedom?

nightshade

Enlightened
Sean,thank you for the beam shots. The Arc-P looks like it may well take care of 70% of my lighting needs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could one of the beta testers take a Lux reading at 1 meter and post the results? Thanks,

Paul

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, thats a good decent difference! I am excited how much more powerful this Light is compared to the old AAA/AA. I will be getting one no doubt about it. The amount of light my current AAA gets out is good enough for most all uses. You rarly need a Surefire Z2 or a Orb Raw to look behind a desk for something, or to look around a tent. Once your eyes adjust, it hurts to use it. Obviously you want to, but hey, it hurts. So I am excited to see something this bright with such a good run time on a single, cheap and easy to find battery(specially on a battery that it doesnt matter if you buy a Kroger brand or Duracell Max).

Cameron

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys...

Peter was nice enough to include me in the Beta Test. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quite frankly, I think he did so primarily because of my penchant for still wearing my official "Arc Field Tester Uniform", complete with matching cap, every weekend when shopping at the mall. (You wouldn`t believe all of the envious stares I get when I do so...and talk about that uniform being a "Chick Magnet"!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anyway....my first impression is that I really hate this light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif This new Arc AAA is so nice...and it is so bright...and it is so well-machined...and it works so flawlessly...that my stash of original Arc AAA`s will now surely suffer a loss in resale value once this new Arc AAA hits the market. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Peter...Peter...Peter! You just couldn`t leave well enough alone, could you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Ah yes...the new Arc AAA, IMHO, is a quantive leap forward in the development of the Arc AAA flashlights. The fit and finish of the new Arc is really well done, and it twists on and off with an ease, and with so far with perfect reliability, that is superior to the original Arc AAA`s. (This difference in "feel and function", if you will, is immediately noticeable once you first try out the new Arc.)

And...is the new Arc AAA ever bright! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif The difference between the old and new is like night and day. I`m not a technical kind of guy, so I don`t have any Lux meters, etc., but the classic "shining-the-beam-against-the-wall" tests show that the new Arc puts out a beam that is just as bright...IF not brighter...than my Arc AA`s. (Yes! It is really a lot brighter than the original Arc AAA`s. Witness Sean`s pictures.)

I have to go now...but I`ll try to post again once I`ve had a chance to further play with this great light. (No...no...I mean terrible light.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kudos to you, Peter, for a job well done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.