superhandling all-wheel drive

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is honda's new all-wheel drive system for the '05 acura rl. i hope they add it to more of their line-up. would be nice to have sh-awd as an option. it would be expensive but definitely worth it.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Anti_Candescent said:
Ahhh, everyone still striving to be a Subaru.

[/ QUOTE ]

Subaru didn't invent AWD. Nor were they even the first production car to feature it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Mark

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
Nor did I imply that they did. Many car manufacturers have stated they are offering AWD as a feature to compete with Subaru's line of vehicles. That's all I was getting at. The idea of constant 4 wheel drive is about as old as cars are.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
if awd improves handlind so much wy don't porche, lamborgini
ferarri or corvette have awd on all of their cars ?

actually I know different(or why)

SolarFlare

Enlightened
I'll chip in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have a peugeot 106 GTi I don't think they are available in the US its 2 wheel drive and in the front /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif but its one of the best handling cars in the world, it has stopping power thats unsurpassed because of its weight. People often overlook the fact that if you want a fast car you can be a whole lot faster in a crap car with good brakes, because you can travel that whole lot further at high speed before you slow. A respected car reviewer in the UK said "the 106 goes like a greyhound with mustard on it's bollocks" I own one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and I agree. All wheel drive is a waste unless you are planning on driving on "loose" surfaces. It costs more in fuel, tyres, and drive parts.

SolarFlare

Enlightened
Oh and BTW the driver makes up for more than a car can ever do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ctechlite

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
SolarFlare said:
A respected car reviewer in the UK said "the 106 goes like a greyhound with mustard on it's bollocks" I own one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you do that to your greyhound? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IMO unless you have a specific need, then awd is just another thing to break/repair/maintain.

DBrier

Enlightened
On smooth dry concrete, 2wd will usually beat AWD. AWD is for when things aren't dry and smooth.

I drive a Subaru and get my butt kicked at the autocross, but if it rains /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
markdi said:
if awd improves handlind so much wy don't porche, lamborgini
ferarri or corvette have awd on all of their cars ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lamborghinis usually do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
subaru is supersed by Acura SAWD. Honda has made revolutionary leap in technology. The German has been left far behind. If I can afford it, I would buy it in a flash.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
rear wheel drive cars usually beat awd cars on dry pavement cornering but this sh-awd gives the acura rl .87g on the skid path, same as the bmw m3. very impressive for the acura since it weighs about 500lbs more and rides on smaller tires.
honda really has something here, but its only available on one vehicle.

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
See you in the rear-view.
I will say the ability to shift power laterally 100% is pretty cool.
Picard, what does supersed mean?

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 1983 corvette could pull 1 g cornering - with out awd.

the 1 million dollar mclaren f1 is lacking - falling behind
it only has 2 wheel drive.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I misspelled the word supersed. It should be supersede. It means displace, overthrow. I wanted to say that Honda has overtaken the Germans in engineering field.

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
Porsche has AWD models (Carrera 4, 911 Turbo, Cayenne)
Lambo has had AWD for a long while
Corvette and Ferrari do not simply because of different performance philisophies (more "pure" driving experience, or somethin like that).

Most of those big brand AWD systems are simply marketing gimmicks. They all call theirs something different and catchy so the general clueless poulation will like it. Not to say that they do not perform, they do, but it's not as spectacular as the makers make it sound.
When Honda came out with V-Tec I wanted to slap so many dumb people (mostly kids). They would talk about cars as if they know something, throwing useless terminology around to sound smart. The type of line that killed me the most was when comparing cars; "Yea, but the Honda civic has V-Tec and the BMW 330i doesn't!" Which just proves how effective the marketing machine can be, to make someone believe that a Civic is a superior to a 330i because of a trademark.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
although honda use VTEC name as marketing gimmick, Honda won the formula 1 race for many years consecutively with its VTEC engine. Honda had to have done something right. I am really **** off that BMW cars are so expensive for no reason. BMW charge extra money for features what should be standard on their cars. It thus drive up the cost of the car. BMW vehicles now have mechanical, electrical problems similar to Chrysler while Honda doesn't have such extensive problems. I wonder if BMW is worth it anymore.