McLux PD vs HDS U60

Minimoog

Enlightened
Both wonderful lights, both seriously bright for the size and both about the same price.

Had me thinking - putting them head to head which would be the winner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif?

Ian

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Soundbox said:
Had me thinking - putting them head to head which would be the winner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif?

[/ QUOTE ]
You'll need to choose a category to "win." Photons out the front? Throw? Beam quality? Tint? runtime? Durability? Style? Waterproofness? And then you'll have to decide how to set them up. They can both be customized to a certain extent.

What almost usually wins for me is the one that is easy to use and easy to carry.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget to add 'features' into the requirements - do you need the programmability the U60 provides, or will the simplicity of a two-stage do? Do you need the option for other battery types the EDC system is supposed to give you, or will a simple CR123 do the job each time?

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I was considering which of these excellent light to purchase,
I would concentrate my research on the switch .
With the PD, you have switch activation by a tail momentary or hold 'push button' or a 'head turn' to activate. So two distinct methods to turn on and off.

The HDS uses a tail switch only activation.

Both are regulated, but the HDS uses a fully electronic switch with its pros and cons, the PD mechanical with high and low level.
The PD high and low level are set at time of assembly and can be adjusted at this time to a customers specs.

I do not think you can compare these two lights and declare a 'winner' as you asked in your post.

For me the HDS is not acceptable as I hate with a passion, push button, tail activated switches. Others love them.

Now the 'electronic switch' is here to stay but is by no means everyones cup of tea. If you like playing with lights and you will be the only user, then you might appreciate all the wonders that can be programed into these switches. But every manufacturer has a different UI and IMHO some of these are just plain confusing. Be on guard for anything that comes with an instruction book. I have two flashlights with electronic switches, one I love and one I hate.

They are fun in the first week but can become a pain if you are a flashlight user as opposed to a flashlight 'hobbyist'.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I think these two lights are a good match up for comparison and the winner will be based on criteria used and the judgment of the person making the comparison. Beyond what is currently available for each in terms of battery packs, I know the PD can accept a Vin, under load, from about 2.6 to 6 volts. I do not know the range on the HDS but suspect similar?!? In their current form, as I understand it, both will accept CR123's as well as R123's. With a spacer, I would expect that both could function on a CR2 as well but with limited runtime.

As a modder, it would be easy to make additional battery tubes for the PD, especially if the piston option were waived and a simple twisty on/ off tube were acceptable. A 3xAA tube for instance would be reasonably simple for the PD but more of a challenge for the HD condidering the need for the additional electrical path and tail located switch requirement.

Now, since I want to be a winner, I suggest the criteria be selection for a light that is packed in a life raft with the possibility of needing it to function in the hands of a non adept, three years from now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don!!! nice to see(hear) you! I have been on tour (musician) had heard you were no longer posting. I am so glad to see you here!! VDG

McGizmo

Flashaholic
[OT]Bad penny, addicted flashaholic, take your pick! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif [/OT]

Back to my "rigged" criteria for a contest for the two lights, I should point out that provided the raft had additional CR123's included or if the HDS was not set up withthe cell installed and circuit in "sleep" mode, the PD would loose some advantages. Additionally, if there were plenty of cells for the light, the HDS might provide a welcome distraction in trying to learn its secrets while one was bobbing on the ocean waiting for rescue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif If the HDS has a SOS function and if the person were to find it, I think I would need to come up with another set of criteria! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
If the HDS has a SOS function and if the person were to find it, I think I would need to come up with another set of criteria! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don,
A few moths ago I was 'learning' how to work my first go around with an electronic switch. I got up in the middle of the night to go for a pee, and promptly sent an S.O.S. when switching on the light. 'She who must be obeyed' was not amused....

Ophiuchus

Newly Enlightened
They both dent severely when dropped on bezel. HDS bezel fit on PD. Both have very thin bezel area. But both manufacturer be around forever to take care of expensive light. Do not drop 200.00 EDC without free extra bezel rings. Best light made. The best.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
I think these two lights are a good match up for comparison and the winner will be based on criteria used and the judgment of the person making the comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah good. Usually it is *me* restating what Don just wrote. Refeshing to mix it up sometimes.

I don't own an HDS, so the winner is easy for me to determine. HOWEVER, it sounds like Henry is coming to our next get-together, and as everybody knows, light manufacturers are required to give away lights to all attendees at these things. So by October I should have a more balanced comparison to offer.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Ophiuchus said:
They both dent severely when dropped on bezel. HDS bezel fit on PD. Both have very thin bezel area. But both manufacturer be around forever to take care of expensive light. Do not drop 200.00 EDC without free extra bezel rings. Best light made. The best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not know for sure if I agree with this statement.
The HDS has a small inner ring that is threaded. If this is dropped, there is a very good chance that the outer part of the bezel will be damaged and the inner ring will NOT unscrew.

Now the PD has a inner ring that is also an outer lip at the same time. Hard to explain but owners will know exactly what I mean. If dropped, this ring will take the initial hit and its edge will deform. However this 'ring' can be easily replaced. Clever design that I have personally not seen before.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
On the PD as well as the A-19, I have gone to the new bezel ring because I wanted more "beef" in the front end and even though it makes the light longer, I felt it was justified. If time, financial resources and any demand were to allign, I would even go to a Ti bezel ring. I have made a few for myself and have a custom chrome as well as 24kt gold plated PD in the works that will sport longer Ti bezel rings that have shallow scallops as well. The 20 mm relector was designed with maximum photon management in mind and in conflict with a truly rugged front end on a 1" OD light. The reflector on the HDS is integral to the head so you have a great mass and strength in the head up to the point where the wall thickness is also diminished and allowance for the window and bezel ring are made. If the heads of either light were expanded in diameter to 1 1/8", you could have a light that would take a nose dive in stride but is this a trade off that most would want? Since I usually have a SF beam shaper on the front end of my light, I have a bumper that takes care of nose dives! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Ophiuchus

Newly Enlightened
I did not intend for 'negative' reply...only truth, the PD and HDS light WILL dent in the bezel area if dropped to everyday surface. Examples are ceramic tile, concrete steps, etc. They are not bulletproof lights..... I own both and DO NOT regret the expense. Just making other "newbies" aware of the hazard of light. At such point the light may not be repairable for free, if at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifMcgiz-hoe is just another scammer like MrBulk.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Since I usually have a SF beam shaper on the front end of my light, I have a bumper that takes care of nose dives! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
If installed correctly, that protective cap can also help prevent the transmission of the deadlier forms of Flashlight Disease.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Darell, I already own a PD and plan on getting a second. I've been trying to find a reason to purchase a HDS, for review, for quite awile now. But after reading this:

http://www.hdssystems.com/EdcUltimateUsersGuide.pdf

6 feet? There is no way I'd spend that kind of money on a light that has 6 feet of water resistance. My PD has 120 feet (Thanks MrTedBear!), and the test ran out of time. PD all the way.

(The only thing I'd change, if I could, on the PD? I'd love to get the weight down..

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
I would even go to a Ti bezel ring. I have made a few for myself and have a custom chrome as well as 24kt gold plated PD in the works that will sport longer Ti bezel rings that have shallow scallops as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/awman.gif

bmstrong, I like the heft of my PD. It feels like I have something of substance in my hand compared to other lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS and the Arc4 are quite vunerable to damage--I have dropped mine on my ceramic tile floor in my kitchen. Result? Deformed bezel that is virtually impossible to repair. I have not yet (!!!!) dropped either one of my PDs and sincerely hope not to. Hey, anyone out there got any info on flashlight insurance? Huh??

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Karl

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Concerning the HDS, water management may not be the only reason one buy's it.Knowing Henry i would not doubt that is
conservative, none the less I bought it for it's level's
available, size build quality. I have a few reason's I am planning on buying a Mcgizmo with a aleph II head on a flared 123 or CR2 bodypack. And would love to have a PD 2nd,
(just don't have the $$ for both!)
If that was the only consideration i would buy a pelican or other dive rated light.But I just don't dive or boat much
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

So many good light's out now, my basic 60 has been dropped on the bezel from neck high, run over by a 100lbs road case,
and battered into many other hard surface's with not operational problem's. The Mcgizmo from the one I handled looks to be as tuff if not more so, one reason I want one.

Many good light's these days, and good people like Don and Henry i respect and listen to them
as a "veteran newbie". BTW don, i love the PD! such a cool form, not the all too often tired, borrowed designs so many light maker's generically produce. kudo's! VDG

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The main difference is the switching mechanism and IMHO this feature is the criterium that should rule the decision makling process. All the rest ... if I am allowed to make a dumb statement ... is peanuts compared to this enormous difference.

Similar size, battery options, brightness and build quality (I suppose). I have no idea about the beam shape of the HDS, but it will be tough to match the McR-20 though.
The clip would be another issue to discuss for those who use clips a lot ...

bernie

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
karlthev said:
The HDS and the Arc4 are quite vunerable to damage--I have dropped mine on my ceramic tile floor in my kitchen. Result? Deformed bezel that is virtually impossible to repair. I have not yet (!!!!) dropped either one of my PDs and sincerely hope not to. Hey, anyone out there got any info on flashlight insurance? Huh??

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Karl

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see that. but I must be lucky since I have done the same on cement and concrete from neck/head high, with only minor HA-III damage, and a very small dent. Maybe my use of a li ion cell lighten's it enough to avoid more weight/force to do bad thing's? VDG