Diamond maglite bulbs self-destructing ?!??!?!?!

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/diamond_magbulbs.htm
My 3 watt must have the new driver. It's been running for 11 minutes now and the head of the light is still cool to the touch and it hasn't dimmed or shut down (or belched smoke) so far. It sure doesn't look as dim as he's saying it should be though if it's the new model - It puts my Propolymer Luxeon to shame.
http://www.led-replacement.com/3_maglite.html
Here's where I got mine. Any body know which oone they're selling (I just got it about three weeks ago)?
18 minutes and no smoke
33 minutes!

Last edited:

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Looks like the problem is the LEDs with the Zetex driver, which are the regulated 1 watters. (please correct me if I'm wrong) The unregulated three watters, ie. the one you have, don't use the Zetex driver and hence, aren't affected by this defect. At least this is my understanding of the problem.

Spectrum

Newly Enlightened
I have two of the side emitter Diamond 1 watts with driver from about a year ago. I assume that would be the Zetex. I have not left them on for extended times, but they don't even get warm after 20 minutes.

Anybody ever seen this? I got a new DB3W Friday, and couldn't wait to try it out. I screwed it into a new 3D Mag, clicked, and .. nothing. I removed and re-installed it several times with the same result. Not a flicker. Just to eliminate some slight misfit with the 3D Mag as the cause, I tried the old 1 watt side emitters with driver. They lit up just fine, as did the original Mag bulb. Then I tried the DB3W in the 2C Mag that had housed the 1W, and it lit, but dimly, as you would expect. Back in the 3D Mag ...nothing. Back in the 2C Mag ...lights up dimly. The vendor has a replacement on the way. Hope this was just a freak.

Any ideas? Could this have been a mis-labeled bulb (1 watt) with some sort of overcurrent protection that prevents it from fring in a 3 cell light?

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
With talk like this, I will just keep building custom LED mags...

I have one of those deluxe "dropins". I like almost as much as a stock Mag solitare...