Streamlight Propoly 4aa lux problems

Chris201W

Enlightened
I'm new here, though I've been lurking for a month or so. I recently bought a Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon. I really like it, however, I have noticed a couple of potential problems/things I don't like.

First, I was playing around with the light tonight, clicking it on and off a lot in a short period of time, and after a little bit, maybe 15 clicks or so, momentary on wouldn't work, and if i clicked it the whole way, sometimes it would turn on fine, sometimes it would come on for a split second and then turn off. If i clicked it back off it would do the same thing. It works fine now if I turn it on just once, use it, then turn if off. This problem only seems to happen if I'm turning it on and off a lot fairly rapidly. Is this a fairly common problem with clickie switches, or do you think I have a defective light?

Also, I noticed two small artifacts on the edge of the corona which, if connected, would make a line through the center of the hotspot. These are at the same angle as two small gold colored wires in the led itself. I was wondering if anyone else with a 4AA lux notices this.

Haz

Enlightened
Sounds like there is a problem with your switch.

I think the artifacts on the edge of the corona is quite normal, since the two small gold colored wires in the led are projected forward.

I haven't noticed it in mine, when the battery is full, but is more noticeable when the lights gets dimmer.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had EXACTLY the same switch problem. Working it a lot made it less frequent, but momentary on was still an iffy proposition, frequently coming on <1/2 brightness or not at all. Could find no safe way at it to try and understand and fix it, so sent 'er back and got a replacement worthy of the Propoly reputation. Does seem there is a design potential for this, but IMO the end result justified the hassle. My other Propoly has done this a couple of times, but not once the switch moves. In other words, try not to just "touch" the switch through the rubber cap, but tap it hard enough to feel the switch plunger start moving, and you are not likely to promote the glitch. But yours sounds like my first one, and will not likely behave without a replacement.I do see the leads in some of my beams, but it seems like only the 5 mm types, not any Luxeons. I just went and tried one, and yes, I now see little "loops" in the beam, but only on a blank wall. They line right up with the emmiter leads, apparently a reflection from them. Now that will probably bug me! :rant: Really, I could not make them out on carpet or wood paneling, so not a practical source for gripe.

Chris201W

Enlightened
From what you say, it seems like the problem is in the way the switch is designed. I'll keep using the light normally for a while and see if it happens again. If it does a lot, I'll probably send it back. Otherwise, I don't think it's really worth the hassle of sending it back if the new one I get is going to do the same thing.

I tried different ways of pressing the switch. It seems like if I push it real slow until the momentary on is activated, about 1/10 times momentary won't come on and the weird thing will happen when I click the light on. If i do like you said and firmly push it in for momentary, it seems to work fine.

onthebeam

Enlightened
If you do have to send it back, Streamlight is very good about replacement. I had to have mine replaced and like the new one much better than the first. . .

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
As onthebeam says, I think you can be fairly optomistic about a replacement, those of us with "duds" are way in the minority on this one. Sweet talking the retailer can often result in a return shipper being sent, but this is a favor if they will do it. It seems to me the "slow push" you can do with a forward clickie is a real form of torture for the contacts in the switch - kind of teasing it. Hence the prefered practice of giving it a fair "jab" to fire the momentary. I am just guessing that, while they are not as tactically desirable, the reverse clickie prevents the gradual contact, although the same should then be able to occur when blinking it backwards.:thinking: I don't have many forward clickies to compare with (yet!).

Chris201W

Enlightened
Well, I'll see if it gets worse, then decide. After all, in normal use, it functions flawlessly (if I'm somewhat aggressive with the momentary on). It's when I start playing around with it that I have problems.

Also, if I do end up having to send it back, do I send it to the place from which I bought it (brightguy.com) or straight to streamlight?

onthebeam

Enlightened
I sent it right to Streamlight after emailing them at the address they list on their website. I let them know that since my light was new, I didn't want a refurb model and they complied. My first one was a bit green with more beam irregularities than I thought was normal. The second was much brighter, not as green and with less beam irregularities. It's a great light. . .

JohnnyB

Newly Enlightened
The switch failed in mine as well. The Lady at Streamlight was very nice and said there will be no return postage if I sent a copy of my receipt. I told her it was a good LED so I'd like this same one back. She said to note that on the receipt and it wouldn't be a problem. It is packed and waiting for mailing tomorrow.

Good luck with yours.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I chose to exchange with Fox International from whom I bought a pair. They sent me a shipper, so no additional cost to me. Both had good beams, but I sent back the one I liked a bit less and played the "lottery" again. New one may be even better - can't side by side compare of course.