wwhat ever happened to broadband over powerlines?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i while back i saw about it on the screen savers or someshow just imagine how cool it will be any one with electricty would be able to get bbroadband the prices would drop a lot to .anyone know if any process was made?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The power companies are still working on it. There are many problems including the regulations that restict the power companies.

Power lines are, in general a fairly noisy and inconsistant environment.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
biggest issue is interference to licenced services.
a lot of first gen bpl has been scrapped and if bpl actually survives it will need a lot of work to prevent harmful interference.like not using freqs in use over the air.
and lots of items attached to the grid will jam it up.
like smps in pc's ect.
i predict failure to make it cost effective.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another problem is power transformers. High speed data needs to bypass around them and when you consider all the transformers power has gone through before it gets to your wall outlet, well, that's quite a few transformers.

In North America, a pole mounted 2400 volt step-down transformer in the suburbs may only serve ten houses but yet would still need to have a data bypass system installed in order to allow high speed data to flow to just one customer.

philiphb

Newly Enlightened
They generate LOTS and Lots and Lots of RF (radio frequency) interference. Very bad karma. Must be a better way.:aaa: