Are Twisties All Backwards? **Update** [YES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Are Twisties All Backwards?

~

Hmmm ..... we LIKE what we LIKE ....... it Is serious

and we'll fight till our batteries run down , about it.

(don't pay any attention to Kestrel ... ... he's just got too much time on his hands since the forums slowed down)

~

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Once you get accustomed to it ... it will become second-nature and sub-conscious .
Yep. We dont think about what way to twist when opening a bottle, tube, etc, from any held direction, and rarely got the direction mixed up. When we stop and think about it as a puzzle/task, our brain starts to override our muscle memory, and thats when things get's messed up :)

Tommygun45

Enlightened

No worries all, conceptual aspects such as this topic are purely along the lines of personal tastes; folks really enjoy a good debate. Ford vs. Chevy anyone? :aaa:

LOL, then we can have a spirited discussion about forward-clickies vs. reverse clickies. ;)
forward clickies are better btw ;-)

Dont think we missed that Sir!

I agree with that point most certainly. Ok I give in. I admit I guess it does make sense. Now one last point. The reason this came to issue for me was because I was trudging in my house last night carrying two bags a coffee cup and my keys. I only had one hand to activate the Revo. If its a two handed job, then you can hold the the light in the left hand, and twist the head 'right' with your right hand. But in my case it was in my left hand and I had to turn it left. See what Im getting at? Probably not. Ok, I forfeit.

Long live the Forward Clicky.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

~

Forward ? , Reverse ? , Momentary ? ..... HELL , who makes a SIDEWAYS clickie .... I Need one !

~

Hows THAT for REVOLUTIONARY spirit !

~

Kestrel

Flashaholic

I only had one hand to activate the Revo. If its a two handed job, then you can hold the the light in the left hand, and twist the head 'right' with your right hand. But in my case it was in my left hand and I had to turn it left. See what Im getting at? Probably not. Ok, I forfeit.
Not so fast - why forfeit when you might be right?? :huh:

From the main Surefire Titan T1A Pics & Info thread a couple of years ago:

Also, has anyone wished/thought the light should turn on by rotating in the opposite direction? When I'm turning it on one handed (right hand) I wish it would rotate clockwise instead of counter clockwise.
That was my instinct as well, and I'm not sure as to why. Of the 3-4 people I have handed it to, only one tried to turn it on in the correct way the first time. (My Fenix LD01 head would turn on the same way as this T1A, so I was wondering if it was just me... :thinking:) I think that by holding it in my right hand and grasping it, my thumb is naturally oriented to rotate the bezel by pushing away - i.e. the wrong direction.

If you hold it in your left hand, the thumb seems to rotate it to 'on' completely naturally, doesn't it? :huh:

Left handed designer. :laughing:

Yeah, I was just playing with mine too, and it is more natural to rotate counter clockwise with my left hand.

How many 'lefties' does it take to have a revolution? :devil:

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

I prefer the spelling Twistys

...and No, they are not backwards

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

awenta

Enlightened

~

Forward ? , Reverse ? , Momentary ? ..... HELL , who makes a SIDEWAYS clickie .... I Need one !

~

~

Guess you'll have to carry around an old table lamp. :eek:

On topic, my LX2 twists the right way.

awenta

Enlightened

Try turning it on upside down... Backwards... In the other hand... With your eyes closed. :thumbsup:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

~

Ohh Crap ... I just realized ... a SIDEWAYS clickie ... is a stupid TOGGLE switch , aint it.

(if you mount it to toggle side-to-side ..... not up-and-down)

~

Oh and AWENTA ... do three-way-bulbs work wi' dose old switches ?

Last edited:

Tommygun45

Enlightened

Kestrel, sorry but you inspired me. I think they are flat out backwards and people who are 'used' to them have just been brainwashed into thinking its natural. I work at a small Ivy school in the Northeast and coach baseball. Most of my players are 10x smarter than me and are all very logical individuals. Today at practice I asked 5 of them, individually to turn it on. I said "This light turns on by twisting the head. Turn it on. All 5 of them turned it to the right. I then asked my girlfriend, 4 good friends, and my parents. Everyone so far has turned the head to the right with me saying only that same statement. That's a small sample size (12) but a 100% ratio of people turning it to the right. All of them of course, non flashaholics, just smart normal people.

When I told my girlfriend how most turn to the right she replied, "Well that's because this lights made in China. They do things differently over there." I told her that I thought 4Sevens was at least designed by Americans. I think in the end it's laziness on the part of manufacturing. Sure, I can understand that when you are looking at the emitter the head should turn right because its essentially being screwed into the body. But guess what? No one does that. When you are using a keychain light you are using one hand, and you shouldn't be pointing the light at your face.

Additionally, given that 70-90% of the worlds population is right handed, and keychain lights are overwhelmingly twisty in nature, it is doubly confusing. When you hold a light in your right hand, and want to manipulate the head with two fingers, it is very unnatural to instinctively turn the head to the left. If you took your thumb and pointer finger and were screwing in a screw, or a lightbulb, or a bottle cap, or anything else in the world that we screw in, you screw it to the right.

So when people say "Its just muscle memory, go practice," well, no. It's not just muscle memory, it's bad design. There is no coincidence that Apple Computer is currently the most valuable company in the world, and they are also the company who has revolutionized the idea of making things simple, and intuitive. Intuitive being the keyword.

Obviously no one who picks up and HDS is just going to 'figure it out.' But the whole point of twisties is their simplicity. A well designed twisty would be intuitive, and simple, and would twist to the right when you are pointing it downrange and trying to actually illuminate something.

Not so fast - why forfeit when you might be right?? :huh:

From the main Surefire Titan T1A Pics & Info thread a couple of years ago:

How many 'lefties' does it take to have a revolution? :devil:

shane45_1911

Enlightened

Kestrel, sorry but you inspired me. I think they are flat out backwards and people who are 'used' to them have just been brainwashed into thinking its natural. I work at a small Ivy school in the Northeast and coach baseball. Most of my players are 10x smarter than me and are all very logical individuals. Today at practice I asked 5 of them, individually to turn it on. I said "This light turns on by twisting the head. Turn it on. All 5 of them turned it to the right. I then asked my girlfriend, 4 good friends, and my parents. Everyone so far has turned the head to the right with me saying only that same statement. That's a small sample size (12) but a 100% ratio of people turning it to the right. All of them of course, non flashaholics, just smart normal people.

When I told my girlfriend how most turn to the right she replied, "Well that's because this lights made in China. They do things differently over there." I told her that I thought 4Sevens was at least designed by Americans. I think in the end it's laziness on the part of manufacturing. Sure, I can understand that when you are looking at the emitter the head should turn right because its essentially being screwed into the body. But guess what? No one does that. When you are using a keychain light you are using one hand, and you shouldn't be pointing the light at your face.

Additionally, given that 70-90% of the worlds population is right handed, and keychain lights are overwhelmingly twisty in nature, it is doubly confusing. When you hold a light in your right hand, and want to manipulate the head with two fingers, it is very unnatural to instinctively turn the head to the left. If you took your thumb and pointer finger and were screwing in a screw, or a lightbulb, or a bottle cap, or anything else in the world that we screw in, you screw it to the right.

So when people say "Its just muscle memory, go practice," well, no. It's not just muscle memory, it's bad design. There is no coincidence that Apple Computer is currently the most valuable company in the world, and they are also the company who has revolutionized the idea of making things simple, and intuitive. Intuitive being the keyword.

Obviously no one who picks up and HDS is just going to 'figure it out.' But the whole point of twisties is their simplicity. A well designed twisty would be intuitive, and simple, and would twist to the right when you are pointing it downrange and trying to actually illuminate something.

Or, with the amount of time you have taken to write this post - you could have practiced with your twistie and made it a non-issue. :)

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

~

I think he convinced me !

On these newer lights with rotary magnetic rings , which way do they turn for ON ?

I don't have one . Does the ring rotate to the right ?

~

Tommygun45

Enlightened

Not sure, don't have one, just the HDS Rotary. How about a Surefire U2? How do they work?

~

I think he convinced me !

On these newer lights with rotary magnetic rings , which way do they turn for ON ?

I don't have one . Does the ring rotate to the right ?

~

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

~
This is similar to my complaint with three-way-switches at each entry to a room.

In the dark , you cant tell if you have to flip it up ... or down .

It could have been left in either position.

I think those should be spring-loaded ... and move in & out . That way , no matter the previous position .... you could just TAP it in the middle , and the light would go on. (or off)

Do you understand what I mean ?

~ .... Yeah .. I know it's off topic ..... but I just had to say it. (and Yes.. I do know about the ones that are lighted)

REVOLUTIONARY TOPICS ..... we're on a ROLL !

Last edited:

Tommygun45

Enlightened

~
This is similar to my complaint with three-way-switches at each entry to a room.

In the dark , you cant tell if you have to flip it up ... or down .

It could have been left in either position.

I think those should be spring-loaded ... and move in & out . That way , no matter the previous position .... you could just TAP it in the middle , and the light would go on. (or off)

Do you understand what I mean ?

~ .... Yeah .. I know it's off topic ..... but I just had to say it.

Ya, I hear ya. Its just weird the way some things are designed. I mean we talk about ergonomics all the time with lights. Seems like one of the main features/complaints about them but its typically just the size/weight switch position etc. But with a twisty, I mean the thing is called a twisty, its what it does. I think it should do what it does in the most logical simple way possible. But maybe I am over analyzing it. Or maybe some McGizmo/ Malkoff type will make a twisty that makes sense!

diesel79

Enlightened

To me it still follows the simple righty tighty method. The head of the light is the nut and the body is the bolt. Depending on how its facing it may seem backwards but still follows the same rules. Take a bolt and face the open end away from you and thread a nut on it, same way a twisty works. I don't feel its backwards at all, just the way threads work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.