Battlestar Galactica

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
Guess I was the only one who didn't like it. I thought it was rather boring. The battlescene at the end of part 2 was nice but that was about it. I thought the writing was lousy the story was lousy and characters were lame. I still watch the original from time to time when it's on despite its cheesiness.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I've seen Sci-Fi's remake of Dune and Children Of Dune on DVD so it's only a matter of time before Battlestar Galactica appears on DVD. Stargate SG-1 has been a success for the Sci-Fi channel so let's see how far they can take the new Galactica series.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
More observations:

I HATED the shaky camera of the space battles. I don't care about realism, I want to be entertained without feeling dizzy.

I missed the epilogue and prologue (i.e. "Fleeing from Cylon Tyranny" at the end of each show).

The music stunk. They need to use the original music score, or a slight variation more often.

Part One was extremely boring and dull. Thank goodness Part II was a significant improvement.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the time the original series was being broadcast, I did not think it was cheesy. Now, yes. Then I remember that the state of Visual Effects back then was a whole bunch less capable than it is today. The original series had 2 things going against it from a production standpoint: the state of F/X, and most importantly Budget. Back then SciFi based TV productions were allocated very low budgets. It wasn't until Star Wars that the attitudes of the studios began to change towards Science Fiction budgeting.

I read up on the concept for the new BG and I was willing to give it a chance. I was not disappointed.

357, you need to remember how mini-series are done. How many mini-series have you seen, where part 1 was not boring or slow?? Part 1 lays background and introduces the characters. This is the traditional method. Even many movies do this.

FlashGordon

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to point out that Stargate SG-1 was created and the groundwork laid down by SHOWTIME (MGM)for the first several seasons. SciFi Channel just took over the airing of the show and left the formula pretty much alone. They claim that the show is a "SciFi Original" series, however. I feel the series was much better on SHOWTIME's budget and 60 minute continuous air time. Now it is shot to be around 45 minutes per episode in "chapter" style with a "hook" prior to commercial breaks.

AlphaTea

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FlashGordon said:
>>>I feel the series was much better on SHOWTIME's budget and 60 minute continuous air time. Now it is shot to be around 45 minutes per episode in "chapter" style with a "hook" prior to commercial breaks.<<<

[/ QUOTE ]
I remember watching SG-1 on Showtime. It was a 45 minute continuous show back then. I thought it was strange at first, but they were thinking ahead, that it might someday go into syndication or make it to network TV. While Sci-Fi Channel is not Network TV, I bet more people see it than Showtime. Sci-Fi is usually included with basic or low end cable packages whereas Showtime is a Premium channel.

FlashGordon

Newly Enlightened
You got me !!, the later stuff was 45 min. on SHOWTIME after they knew it would be in syndication. They also toned down some scenes. I remember some frontal nudity on SHOWTIME's STARGATE.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the original has not aged well, it has become somewhat lame in the story lines and it did kind of spiral downward because of network pressrue and tinkering. I remember how disconnected and "outrageous" the story lines got at the end of the series. The continuity and depth vaporixed as they tried to find market share with one wild plot line after another.

I feel the new version left out too much of the original premise. Kind of a George Orwell revisision. The writing will have to improve or the directing. It was very stiff and uninspired I thought.

I did disassociate from the original and tried to give it a chance but It plodded along too painfully for my tastes. The robots had more emotional dialog than the "live" characters did to me.

Maybe I will check it out again and see if it aged well the past few months. I do tend to tick off my buddy in that I prefer story over effect in Sci-Fi. If it has neat effects he is praising it while I look at the story first and complain if the effects are either obvious or the focal point of the whole effort.

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened
I really liked some of the raw approach both in concept and the "dogfighting" scenes. I guess after playing sims for so many years those things appeal to me. (I actually liked Wing Commander the movie.) Hearing the damning comm chatter while they were about to leave the sub-FTL ships was really intense for me. It was a bit slow, but I found a bit to ponder and enough to watch the whole thing and enjoy it. I really can't wait to get this on DVD myself.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know why Scifi would release the DVD in England first? This just seems kinda strange to me. I'm tempted to bid on the DVDs on Ebay now but I'm afraid that by the time I would get it, it will be available here. I've never used ebay so I'm not even sure that you can bid on items over seas.

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link.:) Had an error when clicking on the "buy DVD" link under "what's new" so I'll have to look for it. I wanted to buy the pilot miniseries as soon as I saw it.

I've actually had the series start date in my PDA for a few weeks now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif I'm really hoping it's good, looking forward to it. It might be one of those few shows I'll get into, unless they make it too trite. (But if the pilot is any indication, it's more likely to be too hardcore if anything.)

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lebkuecher said:
Looks like Jan 14 will be the start of the new series. I was hoping that they would re-run the pilot before starting the series. Did anyone ever buy the Pilot?

Battlestar Galactica link

[/ QUOTE ]

I taped the pilot. I don't like it enough to buy it though.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I've had the date for the new series on my radar screen for almost a month now. Eagerly awaiting... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Siriuslite

Newly Enlightened
I thought the pilot was a little weak but entertaining so I decided to give it a chance. Now I've seen 7 of the new B.G. episodes (don't ask how) and I'm really liking it a lot. I think this show is going to clean Star Trek Enterprises clock when the series gets into the main stream. B.G. is really developing the characters nicely and the story line(s) are really focused. Enterprise seems to be trying desperately to find a reason to exist but can't, other to make it to 5 years for syndication purposes.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be watching. i'm not expecting a serious statement on the nature of humanity or anything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif just want to be entertained without cheesy stuff distracting from it! And I think it will do that.