Emergency/Disaster Situation Lighting

Dean N

Newly Enlightened
notrefined, thanks. I'll check out beam shapers (I didn't know there were such things) for my hand held light. For the headlamp, I do like the Zebralight H51 for it's size and versatility, but I'll look at the Sidewinder. I'm OK with single battery for that light as I will have a hand held with me that would have more power levels available and longer run time. EDC is something I'm still working on updating (that Peak Logan QTC looks promising)... basically, I'm updating my and my families entire illumination world. Only gripe so far is from my wife who thinks the Fenix E05 is too big for her key ring:shakehead.

ElectronGuru, gotcha.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the area light, I'd suggest just having a diffuser cap for your Quark. That gives you a lightweight 200 lumen lantern for around $5. Fenix makes a good one and may or may not fit your Quark. Mine fits my Fenix L2D, LD20, and my Olight T20. Quarks are another offshoot of Fenix. For the handheld and the headlight, it seems like you've made up your mind and have pretty good choices. For a powerful spotlight, I think you'll find that the brightest l.e.d.s are made for flood and not throw. The best throwing l.e.d. will probably be the R3 binned Cree XP-E. You won't get much higher than 200-300 lumens. If you want bright, go with a 35 watt H.I.D. spotlight. There are some lighter ones with lithium ion batteries, but these will obviously be more expensive.

Dean N

Newly Enlightened
For the handheld and the headlight, it seems like you've made up your mind...
Pretty much, though I haven't pulled the trigger yet. :) I am more sold on the headlamp. There are good arguments for other handheld lights, ones that could dual-purpose as powerful(ish) spotlights, such as 4xAAs or 2-3x123s. I rather need to decide the power supply. AAs have their advantages as do 123s. I'm looking for lights that could accommodate both one way or another, kinda like the Peak Logan that can use the same head/tail on bodies for AAs and 123s, thought the Peaks seem to all be 1x power supply lights.

History Nut

Newly Enlightened
I can only speak from my experience in the Northridge Earthquake but since you are CERT certified, you may face similar circumstances. When an incident of that magnitude occurs and grid 'power' is lost, it is DARK! There is NO light at all except for your own flashlights/lanterns! I had a Streamlight angle-head on my turnouts and that gave me light for the rest of the night. Of course, that was a long time ago now and there are much better lights now. My suggestion is to test each light you want to use in an enclosed room that is really light-tight. That way you have some idea of what it will really do when there isn't any other light. Once you do that test, drop your light on the hard floor! If it quits working, find another model/brand/type. You are going to drop your light at some point and it must be rugged enough to keep working. Another suggestion is to have a few extra small lights in your bag in case you want a bystander to 'hold a light for you'. The bystander won't be focused enough to keep the light pointed where you need it(that is why headlamps are best) and may run off with your light. That is why you NEVER hand off your primary light. I don't know your potential environment but if it may involve floods or hard rain, you may want to check out lights sold in SCUBA shops that are certified for full immersion. I hope these comments are useful.

Dean N

Newly Enlightened
History Nut, definitely thought provoking comments, and you are apparently in my neck of the woods - I'm on the SF Peninsula. I was in LA for the Whittier quake, and just missed the Northridge quake. What the CERT Trainers here emphasized was the loss of all utilities and telecommunications for 7-10 days when the upcoming large earthquake hits, and it will. The only thing I have purchased so far is the Inova 24/7s, so as you suggested I just went down into our basement to check it out. I have no idea what the lumen output is, but on "low" it was area lighting for ~6', and that's about it. Perhaps if my eyes were acclimated to the dark it would have appeared brighter. On "high" it did a fine job of illuminating the area, which is ~50' deep x 20' wide on the one side. It could have easily gone 75' deep. I won't drop it on the floor, though, considering nothing was stated about impact resistance. They would only be employed as area lighting, if at all, but I get what you are saying about testing the light by dropping it... but kinda scary to do. :)

As you mentioned I am also looking at "cost effective" lights of decent quality to pass out to folks, focusing more on run time. Yet another reason to go AAs. Most folks have AAs in their house, so we can get a couple runs out of them. Funny you mention scuba lights. A friend offered one he doesn't use any more.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The go along with the idea of having a bystander 'helping out', why not throw a handfull or two of those 'fauxton' style coin lights. Great for hanging on a nail or somesuch for a small area light or marker, and great for handing out to someone else who really needs a light that you will probably never get back. Just a thought.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to History_Nut --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

Gee, you've been a CPF member here fer' 4 years, and this is only your 3rd Post !

Truly a man of few words.

:)
_

Dean N

Newly Enlightened
Where to but Quark AA2-T & Zebralight H51F

To buy these items, I suppose it is best to go to 4Sevens, the supporting vendor on the Quark, but what about the ZL? Any preferred vendors to support? (For the Logan I am going to Oveready, no question, regardless.)

Also, when ordering from these vendors, anything I should know or "insert" before I click the Pay button? I have looked in the Manufacturers Corner in the CPFMarketPlace, but didn't notice anything. I did find something for BugOutUSA.

Dean

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
Re: Where to but Quark AA2-T & Zebralight H51F

GoingGear, is the dealer I use the most. Be sure to check out their YouTube site for great demonstrations of all their lights...

purelite

Enlightened

Hey this is a great thread. I like how everyone has thought about this like I have.

I am thinking of the G3 set up now , damn you Electron GURU!!!!!! :)

I myself have a cpl 18650s and 18500s and I can see how many would say go this route for certain lights. I have never gone thru anything like Katrina but I did have just 1 full day without power this summer from the hurricane. I made some eye opeing discoveries that day in many areas to include lighting. HOGOs comment about runtime when TSHTF is so true. When you actually use a light it will seemingly be eating batteries like a hungry bear.

I went thru my small cache of 18650s before 1/3 of the day was over!!!

The most useful lights for us that day?

1) A small folding 4xAA Energizer lamp that I got for $5 on clearance. I love this little light. It is outdated using 3 or 5mm leds,is all plastic and probably wouldnt survive drop from 2 feet high. It only has 2 settings High and Low. But it is so useful and handy I pray it never breaks or fails. Energizer doesnt make it anymore and thats a shame. I would buy 10 more!! It will run a Loooooong time on low with 4 AAs and the high is brite enough for many tasks. Plus it folds and slips in a pocket. The fold out piece is opaque and as such has a nice floody output 360 degrees
2)the Coleman 4 D collapsing Cree lantern you can get at Walmart. The beam pattern if that is what to call it is horrible with wierd patterns of light and such which detracts from its usefullness. I am thinking of covering it in scotch tape or something to evenit out!!! BUT, with the 4 D batteries it will run for WEEKS on low. How do I know? My kid uses it for a nigh light on low every nite of the week for 8 plus hours a nite and I swear I dont have to replace the batteries for 2 months!!!!!
It was very handy on the dining room table as a "center" gathering light for everyone and on Mediums was bright enough and adequate for playing cards and such around the table. Would it be good for everything? No. Worked for a regular joe family pretty good though . You gotta love D batteries and more so than AAs in an emergency. Is it a not so great overpriced light? yes but the battery platform and the runtime make it a good compromis. i wont buy another of those and will look for something else for the money for the 2nd one but it gets the job done . Its nice it collapses into itself also for portability also.

Anyway, it is expensive to stock up on batteries but I am trying to save up to buy a stock of Lithiums in varying sizes for the next 10 years storage. I have seen so many Alkies leak and fail. I would stock those also and use them for the cheaper cost but you cant rely on them for long term emergencies.
Its tru as mentioned the weak link is batteries here. gotts stock up on them primaries and rechargeables

was this enough lighting? Nope and I realized i need more lights especially a good headlamp though I feel like a dork wearing one they are very useful when working on things repairing things and such. But in just one day I discovered how woefully unprepared we are . I cant imaging going days or weeks without power and how can you prepare for that? Its overwhelming to think about!!!

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

purelite,

With the right headlamp, you don't have to wear it on your head.

This is how I EDC (almost 24/7) and use my Zebralight headlamp. I am wearing it right now as I type this post.
IMG_5188.jpg

Dean N

Newly Enlightened

Thanks, whitoakjoe, will do.

purelight, I'll look for something "cost effective" like that Energizer lamp you mentioned for our home use, and also some kinda D lantern. I do keep Ds in the house for all my old Mag's.

Last edited:

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened

"all my old mag's"
Sounds like you need to pick up some LED upgrade bulbs for these. If you are looking for a emergency light a C or D Mag with an LED bulb type insert is a great tool. I have put 5 one watt bulbs into old D mags and they are a little on the blue side, look to be twice as bright as the incan and run for days.

Dean N

Newly Enlightened

I did pick up a couple TerraLUX TLE-6EXB MiniStar5 Extreme LEDs to try in a 2D & 3D Mag and was duly impressed. After I bought them I read here about heat issues with larger capacity Mags, though, so I took it out of the 3D. I liked them enough that I bought 4 more for all my other 2-cell Mags, too. I realize these are not the highest quality way to go, but the LED lamps are vastly better than the incandescent lamps. The 2C LED buries the 3D incandescent at teh back of my lot, ~200' back.

I have pondered a Malkoff or Elektro Lumens (still out there??) drop in, but have kinda run out of $$$ for the moment. :)

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED lights are so much better now that I have no idea how it really compares, but I have an old CMG Infinity light with a red led, takes a single AA. I've run it repeatedly in power outages hung from the ceiling, lent it to a friend with his power cut off, again hung from the ceiling... I have no idea how long it runs, I never use a new battery with it but use it to kill old AA batteries, which it does a terrible job of, never seems to kill them.
It's the dimmest light that I have but when night adjusted it's just fine for getting around and making sense of the space.
I would hate to try and deal with any sort of time critical emergency situation with such a light, but for extended power outages, or being stuck in a mine or bomb shelter it would shine. Or for just sitting up late with a friend for that matter.
Long running, dim lights are great.

Don't get me wrong, it does kill batteries but I've never noticed a shortage of AA's for it. There's always been a bunch of other things eating batteries and spitting them back up with enough charge for the red led.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the new neutral led AA Zebralight compares to it on low.

Last edited: