Emergency/Disaster Situation Lighting

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
TerraLux 2 AA was the first light I added to my CERT kit, then added the AA version. Soon the Dorcy2D incan contained with the kit was soon replaced by an LED version! That orange Streamlight 2AA/2AAA neutral would be another choice. for the $$$ I couldnt beat the TerraLux.
some RED, GREEN filters could also be helpful.
good point mentioned here about CR123s @$5-8 each being available in stores after the D's C's AA AAA are gone

pblanch

Enlightened
Anyone know if a Xenos E03 would be a good light to finish off the "dead" batteries that other lights cant handle. I haven't run any AA primaries down for a while now (as I mainly use eneloops) and it would be a shame to waste a perfectly good (and expensive) lithium primary (L91) just for this. My PA40W is now my disaster/general purpose light and have a stock of L91's for it but thought maybe would use the "dead" ones in a single AA (that is easily purchasable in Australia) to get a little more out of them. Any thoughts?

pblanch

Enlightened
Ok well as soon as I posted this I thought what would any self respecting CPF'er do. Well I opted the cheap way with a alkaline that I had after rummaging through the cupboards. I only had a pair of AA's so I stuck 1 into my ZL H51 and ran it till only the L1/L2 where able to be activated (man that thing gets hot with 1.5hr on high). So still had the 2 low levels running fine (and suspect would do so for a long time yet). Stuck it in the Xenos E03 and NOTHING not even a spark of life. I am sure it is not considered a battery vampire but just another reason why I will be keeping my H51 in my bag. I would love to hear from anyone who would have some knowledge in regards to the use of the PA40 and the amount of juice left in their "dead" batteries and if it will work in a H51.

I know, I am really close to doing this experiment my self but L91's cost $20AUS here so this would be an experiment that is prohibitively expensive for me here. I wouldn't expect anyone else to do it either but am hoping someone has already tried it as Zebra light is quite a respected brand around the forum and would consider a H51 as a fantastic disaster/emergency light (I certainly do, I am a remote locality medic and is what I carry with me when I go out at night).

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Re: Where to but Quark AA2-T & Zebralight H51F

Dean,

You said you had a SureFire 6P and 9P. Now just pick up a Malkoff M61LL drop-in and you have yourself a great emergency light with a balance of output and runtime.

You can do some homemade mods to adapt it to AA batteries if necessary, and the 17500s are a bonus although I dont expect to use those cells.

Yes, its a paradox but CR123 cells will be on the shelves of stores long after AAs and D cells have disappeared. Think about it. Father goes in in a panic to pick up some batteries. Why would he grab camera batteries? After all, most people think CR123s are only useful in cameras.

Hit up a camera store after an emergency and you'll be surprised to find they have an abundance of CR123 cells. Sure they will be expensive, but unlooted as well. Who will loot a camera shop to take batteries? They will be expensive (Camera shops around here sell them for $15 per CR123 battery.)

Also, the SureFire Saint is a good headlamp. It takes a variety of CR123 configurations as well as 2xAA. Yes it takes both types.

Just some more thoughts.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you're still looking for cost effective lights for other people to hold for you or for coworkers to use, check out the Rayovac Indestructible 2AA 100 lumen flashlight at Home Depot for $15. It is a 2 level light, for long runtimes and decent brightness, is drop tested to 30 feet, is rated IPX4 water resistant (not the best obviously), and uses an updated emitter (looked like Cree XP-E or XP-G). It has rubber on both ends and is made of aluminum and titanium (probably 7000 series aluminum by that description). This would be a great low cost option with many uses and it's very hard to beat that price for what you get.

michman

Newly Enlightened
I think that the H51fw would be the best compromise to meet all of your needs. It will light up a large area, has a fair bit of throw, the tint of the beam would help highlight any blood that is present. It seems to be quite durable, and has (as davidt would attest to) many possible uses beyond that of a standard flashlight.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

For area Lighting, I like the Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme 300-Lumen LED Lantern, use 3D battery, it last for a time and bright too, it got a hook so you can hang it up high.
If you want AA, get the Rayovac Sportsman 65-Lumens LED Mini Lantern.

Big Sam

Newly Enlightened

The fact that AA's are so common is as bad as it is good. Some years back a hurricane was headed up the Chesapeake Bay. A few days before it hit my sister went out to buy some batteries. All of the common ones were gone. All sold out. No AA's. No AAA's, and no D's. She did find some C cells. Don't know about 123's. Since she wanted to ride the hurricane out at home, I loaned her lights and batteries enough to last. She had no C cell lights or 123's. The blessing of using common batteries is also the curse. I agree with the guys that say to plan on recharging batteries as much as possible (from cars). Otherwise use batteries that have the longest life like 123's in lights that give ample burn time. Though I have AA lights and recharge with Eneloops (and would bring them for sure), I'm really taken with the 18650 lights like the SC600 for max versatility and burn time. Bring a couple rechargers since you may not have time to only charge two batteries at a time. For more range and the additional back up use of 123's, I have a couple of TK21's (and others of course). Plan for the worst. Bring what you need and something to share. A bring a box of 123's & L91's just in case all your other plans turn to crap. A D cell and an c cell led light would be a good idea too as others have suggested. My 2 cents worth today.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened

As Big Sam says, being prepared BEFORE the event is the key. It isn't any use saying AA's are cursed just because stores were sold out of AA batteries when your sister went out to buy some (when a hurricane was coming) - all that says is that your sister was a bit slower than other people to realize the need. Anyone relying on buying anything that is going to be in high demand in an emergency is running the risk that what they want/need will be sold out (this may include water, food, fuel, batteries etc).

Other circumstances may not give you warning and time to stock up at the last minute (earthquakes, tsunamis, long power outages etc) so it is important to be prepared ALL The time.

pblanch

Enlightened
I have changed the title thread back.

I agree Big Sam and Gregozedobe, that prior planning is the key.

Although I live in Australia where natural disasters are rare event. We still have have them and I am shocked by how many people are unprepared with something as simple as a good flashlight let alone having a backup stash of batteries (or a case of water:shakehead). Many are just so unprepared as the mentality of "oh it will never happen" and "the govt will get it for us" is just plain :confused:. Many (all I've ever spoken too) have never heard of the 72 hours until help would arrive theory.

Just get some long life lithium batteries now (L91 (AA) or the 123's) I have a modest stash of L91's for my lights and also my radio and if nothing happens I can always use them in the other appliances that I own (a couple of years before they expire after I have gotten some new ones). If the powers out you need to know whats going on and you should conserve fuel in the car in case you need to move. They last 10-15 years so stick them in a cool place and forget about them.

Samy

Enlightened

Although I live in Australia where natural disasters are rare event. We still have have them and I am shocked by how many people are unprepared with something as simple as a good flashlight let alone having a backup stash of batteries (or a case of water:shakehead). Many are just so unprepared as the mentality of "oh it will never happen" and "the govt will get it for us" is just plain :confused:. Many (all I've ever spoken too) have never heard of the 72 hours until help would arrive theory.

Just get some long life lithium batteries now (L91 (AA) or the 123's) I have a modest stash of L91's for my lights and also my radio and if nothing happens I can always use them in the other appliances that I own (a couple of years before they expire after I have gotten some new ones). If the powers out you need to know whats going on and you should conserve fuel in the car in case you need to move. They last 10-15 years so stick them in a cool place and forget about them.

You must not live in QLD ;) After what happened 11 month ago, we're gearing up for another big disaster season :)

For my emergency power applications all my flashlights (torches for us aussies), my police/fire scanner, my am/fm radio, a couple of small led lanterns etc all run on AAA or AA Eneloops and all have eneloops in them all the time, and are good for 3-4 years or more on standby. I keep 20-30 spare fully charged AA & AAA eneloops in storage which i rotate when a device exhausts the eneloops it's using.

I have a large 120 am/hr deep cycle caravan/yacht type battery with a fairly large portable solar panel (which still works great when overcast) and it's setup so i can charge my eneloops, mobile phones etc with solar thus not having to rely on a generator and fuel.

I keep a full and a full spare LPG cylinder for gas cooking and a few jerry's of fuel for the cars/bikes and for my dual fuel stove and lanterns.

We don't live in a city and every year the river comes up and isolates us, but usually only for 2-3 days. Since moving here we have had to learn to be self sufficient. Being avid campers also helps out a great deal because we have all the gear stored ready to go.

The only thing holding us back is cold food storage and if this becomes an issue i'll look into it.

cheers

Quiksilver

Enlightened

Natural disasters seem to happen yearly in Australia ... I agree though, Australia is no different from the rest of the developed world as far as reasonably prepared people are an extreme minority even amongst rural folk. How many farmers have a years worth of food in their house? How many farmers even have variety of crop? Usually they're farming for the money which means every square meter of arable land on the property has one plant, and they have heavy equipment to tend it. How many actually have fruit trees or self-sufficient garden?

I only knew one farmer that was prepared without knowing it. He had milk cows, and hens for eggs. I used to help spear bales for him on the pastures.

The farmer next door to him grew one form of grain, I don't know which. Every centimeter of his property was unprocessed grain, almost right up to the house and barn on the corner of the lot. If something happened, he would be just as unprepared as the city folk in the apartments, if not worse off due to isolation.

pblanch

Enlightened
Hey Samy and Quicksilver, I live in the most isolated city on Earth. Perth (also known as being 10 years behind the rest of the world) Our dam levels are at 28% after a record rain after a drought. The infrastructure is falling to pieces, we sell off all our "natural" gas energy and thus pay through the roof for electricity. The good thing is that we have a temperature winter but the storms occasionally do a lot of damage to houses and infrastructure as no house is designed for tropical cyclones/storms like the good folk in Qld. Bush fires are a big problem here so may need to bug out (to were I don't know) with no warning (even though an early warning system has been recommended by numerous Enquiry's (after loss of life) but still not forthcoming). We are just one step away from FUBA where the Govt will claim Oh we didn't expect this to happen (remember the floods in Brisy) Qld had great leadership at the time lucky you. WA govt is run by crooks (for those O/S google Brian Thomas Burke) and will have nothing but .... we requested federal aid and they still haven't come....its not our fault...let them eat cake hahaha.... you get the idea. Rant over (for now)

My utmost respect for all those whom were unable to leave in the Katrina disaster. I have read everything I could get my hands on with as many aspects of that incident as I can and the cpf forums had some great information that I have myself incorporated into my life.

I have a few weeks worth of food and water and most importantly to this forum light. I will hold out if I can if something happens. I am sure no one wants this thread to turn into a I have this much stuff ect but I think a stockpile of primary batteries is a good idea. The ability to recharge when no electricity should also be considered as well. I have a (discussed a few times on cpf) voltaic amp http://www.voltaicsystems.com/amp.shtml and I love it. The amp's battery fills 2 AA eneloops with no problems and my L91's for backup when the sun isn't shinning. Additionally I use it to recharge all my eneloops as I really like the idea of the suns energy being used to ironically give me light at night. Now to find one of those lights purelite was talking about in a AA format

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
The only thing holding us back is cold food storage and if this becomes an issue i'll look into it.

You can get pretty efficient 12v fridges these days, so you could run one off your 12v Battery which is charged by your solar panel.

We also have a stock of dried and canned foods that we rotate through (so it doesn't get stale) - stuff we normally eat anyway. And a 1,000 litre rainwater tank.

I agree about depending on "the govt" to help you out - in a real emergency you need to be able to think and look after yourself.

We had some bad bushfires go through our city 10 or so years ago, and I was amazed that so many people complained that "no-one" told them to evacuate and they had no warning. We were expecting just what happened, and had packed up and prepared 3 days before the fire came through. There was a fire burning uncontrolled in the forests to our northwest, then the weather people predicted severe heat and strong NW winds. So as any idiot could have forecast, the wind blew the fire into our city. We were very lucky that not many people were killed. Hopefully some will have learnt some valuable lessons from what happened.

Samy

Enlightened
Fires are the biggest issue for me too, i live on a hill so floods will only isolate me but a bushfire will take the house and everything with it. I expect the fire to take the house so i tend to set my gear up for evacuation. There's no use setting the house up for disaster when i don't expect to save it from bushfire. It helps that i've got a 4wd and camper trailer and try to go camping with self-sufficiency in mind.

You have to be realistic about what could happen and try to set your self up as best you can. Bushfire, Flood, Hurricane... you can pick one but you'll probably get them all ;)

cheers

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Bushfires are definitely a concern ... Do you have a body of water near you? May be worth it to get a little inflatable boat or canoe or something to push into the water in a bush fire, as well as good quality face mask to filter smoke/dust.

Dont have to know everything about where to go in a bush fire, but one or two steps ahead would be good especially if your family was separated. Everyone knows where to bug out to. Something like a big cricket oval or body of water.

And be careful with the light. If the power is out for a week or two and you have light, then everyone in the area will see your house. You'll be fighting off the hordes of non-light-endowed who want to get close to your luminous presence. They may try peacefully, coercively or violently.

Regarding the QLD floods ...

My family is paying $500 per year through forced taxation to rebuild.

The imbecile dam operators only knew drought for the past decade, so when dams were at 150% capacity they were still in the "save and store water" mindset. Then, when dams reached critical capacity, they had to let a lot out to save the dams, which coincided with monsoon rains. This caused parts of the city to flood.

On top of that, all the stuff that got flooded is on a flood plain. Only idiots build on a flood plain, and only an idiot government forces me to pay for those idiots to rebuild on the flood plain.

While yes, it was good that so few got hurt/killed during the floods, its a series of policy ignorance that has led this.

Last edited:

pblanch

Enlightened
Back to Emergency lighting....I found that a chapstick cap fits nicely over my Preon 1+2 for some low level lighting goodness.

I have a bunch of AAA's that sit around doing nothing. Time for them to earn their keep.

purelite

Enlightened
Thanx for the link to that solar charger Pblanch. That is a slick piece of gear . Price isnt too bad. It looks really well thought out.

Good points about using your lighting also. Light can be seen for miles in some situations. If you are "Mr. Prepared" you are also a prime target for the "Unprepared" desperate others . And your brightly lit campsite or home is a neon sign drawing them in like bugs.

Any one been thinking about how you deal with this threat? How would you safely use your lighting without drawing undo attention to yourself?

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
PoLow profile? Use very long running, dim red lighting. Put up black out curtains and have a specific area that you set up for using brighter light, fire that area up brightest and go outside for an hour in the dark to let your eyes adjust before you check for light spillage. your white lights need to be able to ramp from dim to bright and get in the habit of using the least amount of light necessary. in most situations being low key would be more important than being "undetectable". people will revert to more natural community standards of fairness in emergencies, so either don't bring it out unless you brought enough for the whole class, or be prepared to become the new service provider, realizing that if it doesn't work out well your utility might well become "nationalized".

Denfer

Newly Enlightened

Hi Dean ... I've tried various combinations ... I've worked (govt) through several disasters (Santa Cruz flood-'82, Loma Prieta, Sierra blizzards) ... I have a combination of lights for different uses: D-Cell led lanterns (coast or similar w-100 hr runtimes and low setting capable), maglites (2&3 D) w/malkoff dropins (6-hr runtime, 24 to full drain) + optical-plastic lens + xtreme-cap (knob type w-toolsteel-glassbreaker + $13 aluminum SMO reflector from Kaidomain (S006165) ... I've recently added the 9AA/3D OddModds adaptor in the 3.5/4.6 configuration to allow use of 9 Energizer L91 AA batteries (this allows you to store the light in a trunk or home and forget it for years without leakage or low-power issues, and allows for use of different battery types, it also makes the light very light weight). At work we have been trying out the "Light-For-Life" 270 lumen 'battery-less' flashlights (vehicles and desks) since they will fully recharge from a cigarette lighter, or plug in, in 60-seconds. They are a very interesting option since they use some type of capacitor and can be very quickly charged to full for about an hour runtime. It's also important to consider post-disaster needs if you may encounter an explosive atmosphere (confined spaces)... in that circumstance the light would need to be intrinsically safe (no ignition sources) ... see lightboxes, etc.

I can say that the Malkoff mag dropins easily outperform all of the dropins that we tested (A/B) for throw and light intensity. Interestingly, some of the competing mag bulbs/dropins rated at 800+ lumens, were a dismal second to the Malkoff dropins rated at ~ 270 lumens ... go figure !! I've become a die-hard admirer of the Malkoff dropins because they are solidly built and outperform for emergency use. My advice here is to build your emergency equip step-by-step, don't buy Lamborini's, just try to buy very-good quality that performs well and gives excellent runtime.

Last, but not least, I have found that for home, on the different floor-levels, the DATEXX "Sentina" smart rechargeable wall plug-in lights are absolutely fantastic ... very very long lived (never have had one go bad) ... they provide very sufficient light to see-by/evacuate ... they can be set for motion sensing and power-outage-auto-lighting, and have worked fantastically during winter outages, night-trips to the restroom, and/or earthquakes/disasters. Keep equipment as a long-term goal ... budget over time with a few 'foundation' solid lights ... I like the option for lithiums - no corrosion/leakage, and easily 10+ years storage at close to full power. Your "rechargeables" are of course an excellent way to go.

Best R's
- Den