Emergency/Disaster Situation Lighting

synersol

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the prompt reply DM51. I went ahead and responded to the comments that followed Burgess's post #72. Thanks for pointing it out. I appreciate you leaving the other posts and am glad to be a member of this forum. I will carefully read the advertising policies and will comply to the rules.

synersol

Newly Enlightened
Hello Tjin, thanks for the input and you are correct about the priorities. Luckily the lights meet all of them.

1. Your Own Safety - Notice that the lights electronics are encapsulated and sealed inside a 66ft water pressure seal.
2. Dependable, crush, etc.. - They are. They are currently being used in combat and have been subjected to extreme testing by the US Military and several foreign military's. Following is a brief run through of the tests done by a Flashlight Enthusiast and expert. (Dropped it hundreds of times, placed it in a washing machine for 45 minutes, placed it in a drying machine for over 30 minutes, froze it in a freezer, then froze it in dry ice (down to -109F), then dropped it and waited for it to turn back on, then placed it in boiling water, attached it to the bumper and drove with it bouncing around for 1 km. Finally lost the light. I sent a second one for testing and all the tests were repeated plus tested the magnetic end cap and it stayed when placed on the hood of the car or on the side window panel of the car. Further the light was then taken to the Ocean down to 30 meters for 30 minutes, 20 meters for 30 minutes and 18 meters for 45 minutes with no issues. The user then placed them in a running stream for 3 days and they still functioned properly. At the end decided to run them over on grass and the lights survived. He then ran over them on concrete and he broke the light but then proceeded to use a piece of foil paper and brought two of four LED's back on for days.
3. Bright colors - There are four bright colors in each device. The Yakangler article I mentioned in another post confirms 3/4 of a mile visibility. Bright enough for medics and support to find you but not bright enough to give away a units position from a great distance or wash out your NVG's.
4. Lights should not roll away- That is why there is an optional cross bottomed magnetic end cap. Basically you can do the following, Stand them for expedited landing zones, throw/drop them and they will stay in the throw/drop area because of the cross bottom(it stops it from rolling), you can clip them if desired and you can magnetically attach them for clear roomed indicators to door hinges, switch plates, etc...
5. Use with gloves - that was one of the requirements given by the JSOC unit I developed the lights for. that is the reason for the notch above the switch area. You can easily find it and access all light functions, even blind while wearing standard flight gloves.
6. Batteries - The CR2 is part of the supply chain. In fact it was selected by the military unit who the lights were originally designed for.

Regarding the comment about thinking practical. I agree and that is one of the reasons this light was created. Why carry four or more bags of different colored chemical lights. With these lights you reduce the chemical light stick budget by over 90%, you reduce weight and volume carried by the responder by over 60%, when using lights for triage you reduce patient collection times by over 30% and reduce patient collection errors from 4 errors down to 1 error. You have a single tool that has many varied applications and uses. Some Sheriffs down in South Texas use to send rescue teams after rescue teams when responding to calls in ranches (they get lost). Now they throw the lights along the ranch road and everyone else follows. The "keep it simple and practical" statement is the reason we have so many versions. If you want only IR with two clicks you have that option, if you want simply R/Y/G/B with no flashes you have that option, if you want to have 15 different flash/color settings you can do that also but with a different version.

I look forward to hearing from you soon and thanks for taking the time to contribute.

Tjin

Newly Enlightened
I was not actually talking about a particulair light, but about a SAR light in general. Not a 'combat' light.

1. Waterproof does not equal a ATEX certification. ATEX certification does usually indirectly means waterproof.
3. With bright coloured, i mean the body. Putting down a flashlight on a heap or dibris and finding it back.
5. Heavy duty working gloves are not like combat gloves. i do mean BIG buttons/switches. Most lights are not easily operated with heavy duty working gloves/ fire fighting gloves.
6. In SAR conditions CR2, seams to me like a awfull choice to me.