OK... YA'LL's Fault!

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
new bulb is in and took a look with it now that it's dark, and WOW what an improvement!
i think one of the coolest things about these XSAs is how crisp and clean the beam is! even on wide focus you can see a crisp clear line on the outer edge, just mind blowing when you have one of these in your hand. :D and when you tighten it up :eek: WoW that thing shoots forever! i don't think i'd ever want to be on the receiving end of one of these unless it's a life/death situation! even a window reflection hurts! lol

BVH

Flashaholic
Having had the opportunity to use the MaxaClone with its manual focus knob, I can say that I'd prefer manual focus on the MB. The MB focus motor drives the movement way too fast to get the perfect minimum focus. Go too far, go back too far, go forward not enough, go more - too far....repeat, repeat.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
IDK, maybe your's is faster then mine, i have a pretty smooth and casual adjustment. i havent had an issue with getting it where i want it. did you use the gen3? i know they have a faster movement then my gen2

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
"The MB focus motor drives the movement way too fast to get the perfect minimum focus. Go too far, go back too far, go forward not enough, go more - too far....repeat, repeat."

On my Gen III it is proportionate. Push the joystick alot and it moves very quickly. Move it just a tiny bit and it moves very slowly. Etc...

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
"The MB focus motor drives the movement way too fast to get the perfect minimum focus. Go too far, go back too far, go forward not enough, go more - too far....repeat, repeat."

On my Gen III it is proportionate. Push the joystick alot and it moves very quickly. Move it just a tiny bit and it moves very slowly. Etc...

hmmmm thats odd, cause thats how my gen2 behaves as well... a light touch and it moves very very slowly.... push it further and it moves faster... but not all that fast at all... prob takes 4 seconds or more to go from full flood to full spot, rumor has it the newer servo moves from one to the other in less then 2 seconds.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not all Gen II MB does that. I had two, one did that & the other one doesn't. In mine, on the one that's hard to focus,
i realized that it needs to wait for a about two minutes or so after start, after that it can focus slower without overshoot, If I try to focus right after it starts up, it'll overshoots focus point every time.

Another thing I found is that particular MB also doesn't lock into the previously set lamp position even after performed focus lock, it'll start out again at off-focus. Not sure if it's older gen II vs. newer Gen II difference or it's due to some malfunction.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, so far, mine's done what it's set to do... i set it to a med tight beam, & it goes there right @ start up. i can adjust it any way i want right after that. no waiting. from what i understand, mine was built in 2000, so idk if its an older or new gen2. but if i hold the button lightly, it moves V E R Y slow, if i press harder it moves faster, but not super fast. and it always knows where i program it to be. :shrug:

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing I found is that particular MB also doesn't lock into the previously set lamp position even after performed focus lock, it'll start out again at off-focus. Not sure if it's older gen II vs. newer Gen II difference or it's due to some malfunction.

i don't see a "focus lock" option with the Gen II, just "focus on start up" and "max-min" focus limits. and then theres a "lock out" option that once you pick the settings, they are locked in and you can't change them without restoring the lamp to factory default.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
i don't see a "focus lock" option with the Gen II, just "focus on start up".

That's what I mean, lock to previous focus on at next start up. The other one I had could not resume the focus upon start, had to re do the focus every time.

Parker VH

Enlightened
long curly cable and drop in charger are the min standard models. thats what i got. his are shown there without the batt cables attached. (donno if i'd ever feel right placing them lens down on anything tho! lol) thats the only thing i don't like about the MB, no tail stand ability :( PITA to do upward beam shots with them!
The lenses themselves won't touch if placed on a flat surface although I only did this for this picture and I always store them with the supplied IR filters in place for extra protection.
Fritz, did you try and PM me as I guess my inbox was full?

Latest posts