Self defense flash light laws in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess that article doesn't apply to people with any kind of carry permit. However, I thought in Texas you didn't need a permit to open carry, only to conceal carry.

Oh well, it doesn't matter. Good luck finding a cop who actually cares about a flashlight with pointed ends. It's not really a club. It's a small light with sharp end.

Paladin

Enlightened
You're right, you can carry a club in your car. You can't carry it in general. If you get out of the car and use the "club" light to check a tire or assist someone else, you are technically in violation.

If you'll notice, HB 1815 permits you to carry a club to your car, but it doesn't permit you to take it from your car back to your house. It also doesn't allow you to carry it to your wife's car if you're not the one driving.

Once again, pure BS. HB1815 specifically says from your home to car is legal. Why the off-topic naysaying? The OP wants to keep the light in his car.

And as others have mentioned, in a state that allows handguns, rifles, and shotguns (and clubs and knives) to be in one's vehicle you will have a hard time finding a LEO who would hassle you for using a club to check one's tires which long haul truckers in every state do on a regular basis. If a bonafide self defense issue arises they will be amazed that a firearm was not used.

I keep an axe, shovel, machete, logging chain, knives, flashlights and often as not a firearm, etc. in my vehicle. Even back before the extension of castle doctrine to one's vehicle I have been stopped while "traveling" with a loaded Colt 1911 on the drivers floorboard. On one stop the DPS officer asked to sit in my car because she had considered buying the same model. She experienced the leg room, looked down at the 1911, got out and told me to have a nice day. The vast majority of LEO's are honorable and not interested in making up reasons to hassle motorists.

Paladin

ValhallaPrime

Newly Enlightened
It's Texas, you can probably have a flashlight with a bayonet that shoots batteries...

Spit out my drink on that one!

As a kid, I used to fly down 3 times a year to Houston TX to visit my family.....While my mother and brother would be at work, I would spend the afternoons at pawn shops hunting out used rare CD's and such.

Of course, all the pawn shops had gun cases, and at almost every single shop, when they'd see me checking out the hardware, even the Class 3 stuff, they'd offer for me to handle it, in the store.

I'll never forget...I was about 16 or 17 at the time (late 80's), and there was a fight between two mexican dudes in the front of this pawn shop. The guy had been showing me this a NIB (or damn close) IntraTec Tec-9, Full Auto. He sees the two beating each other, grabs a bat, hands me the Tec 9, and says "watch this for me for a minute, son".

15 minutes later, after the cops had come and one of the 2 was ambulance material, he came back, in thanked me for "keeping an eye on the gun case" (I didn't, but was alone), and let me take the stack of CD's in my hand for $20.

This all is off-topic, but if anyone hasn't experienced full-on TEXAS, yes, a bayonetted flashlight that shot exploding batteries would probably be legal, and definitely be available with pearled handles and a place to hold a beer, in TX.

Dave Keith

Newly Enlightened
As a native Texan and long-time member of the "First Liar Doesn't Have a Chance" club, I'll affirm that the majority of our law enforcement officers, especially out here in the rural areas, are more likely to compare weapons with you than hassle you as long as you show reasonable evidence of living brain cells.

I'm confidant that flashlights, even with agressive bezels, would not be a problem around here.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a flashlight with a bayonet that shoots venting batteries that explode, any Texas cop would want to know where to get one for him/herself so they can replace their flash bang and tear gas grenades and launcher with a more compact, all in one weapon.

CDP930

Newly Enlightened
Like Dave Keith said and I stated before, good luck finding an LEO that would hassle you. And the comment made about comparing weapons well your right...done it before!!

Maybe our weapon laws (or lack there of) would convince some of you non-Texans to move on in...

Regards

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Dave Keith said and I stated before, good luck finding an LEO that would hassle you. And the comment made about comparing weapons well your right...done it before!!

Maybe our weapon laws (or lack there of) would convince some of you non-Texans to move on in...

Regards

Thought about it, however Tennessee isn't that much different.

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
I guess that article doesn't apply to people with any kind of carry permit. However, I thought in Texas you didn't need a permit to open carry, only to conceal carry.

Oh well, it doesn't matter. Good luck finding a cop who actually cares about a flashlight with pointed ends. It's not really a club. It's a small light with sharp end.

IANAL

In general, carrying a handgun in Texas is illegal. Concealed or open does not matter. The law basically makes carrying a handgun [edit- corrected from "club" to "handgun"] illegal, then throws in some exceptions. On your own premises, in your own car, if you have a concealed handgun license, etc. If you're inside your own car, you can carry, but only if the gun is concealed.

I don't see anything that would classify the "porcupine" light shown above as a club. Of course, they could claim your Maglite is a club.

In theory, you can carry a long gun in Texas, with some exceptions. Concealed or open doesn't matter. They can harass you by claiming that having it in plain view consisted of "brandishing" it or some such BS.

The Texas penal code is available online if you're sufficiently interested. Of course, the actual interpretation and practice of law is much more complicated than the actual text of the law.

Some of the jurisdictions in Texas have screwball commie lib police chiefs and politicians. The Houston DA some time back decided he would simply ignore some of the laws about concealed carry in the car and have you arrested anyway and make you fight it out in court.

Last edited:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even if you dont get hit with CRIMINAL charges, you can bet your *** you will find yourself at the other end of a CIVIL suit from the attacker or his family.

Further, unless you actually have training related to using the light as a weapon, get some pepper/CS spray instead.

Both me and my wife carry Sabre Red.

Last edited:

CDP930

Newly Enlightened
On that note, I can say that speaking with some other officers that some agencies are still arresting for a having a handgun in their vehicle concealed, even though its legal.

You will always have some agencies that are not on top of current laws, and if the officers employed do not stay current themselves then thats when you run into these kind of problems.

I ride with a Penal Code book in the trunk (the most current of course) and when "business" is slow I will bust it out and just read. Some care about their jobs more than others so just beware

Dave Keith

Newly Enlightened
Well, good sir, I can only say that I hope you are serving a community that is close to me! Over the years I have become close friends with several peace officers and I must say that many have a sense of "calling" regarding their calling. It certainly isn't a job you would do just for the money.

Thank you for your diligence in serving the citizens of Texas!

joe1512

Enlightened
So by the 'club' logic, wouldn't police be negligent in their duties for failing to round up little league baseball team players?

As soon as they step out of the car and head to the game, they are all in violation for carrying a club...

As a life-long Texas, I can't imagine you having any problems at all.

However, people are stupid and unpredictable. You certainly could be arrested for possessing a club, however unlikely. A jury could conceivably find you guilty for the same reason.

Of course, this applies for just about anything. A jack-handle or maglite could elicit the same response theoretically.

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
So by the 'club' logic, wouldn't police be negligent in their duties for failing to round up little league baseball team players?

As soon as they step out of the car and head to the game, they are all in violation for carrying a club...

As a life-long Texas, I can't imagine you having any problems at all.

However, people are stupid and unpredictable. You certainly could be arrested for possessing a club, however unlikely. A jury could conceivably find you guilty for the same reason.

Of course, this applies for just about anything. A jack-handle or maglite could elicit the same response theoretically.

As best as I can tell, the "club" law is a bit like the "burglary tools" laws. There are a lot of common objects with very legitimate usages that can be called clubs or burglary tools and it's up to you to defend yourself in court.

I've heard that baseball bats can get you into trouble. If you're walking around the neighborhood at night carrying a bat with no obvious baseball prospects, you may have trouble. Or if you're standing on the street corner acting like a drug dealer, a baseball bat may get you into trouble, too.

You might be in trouble for carrying a jack handle in similar circumstances as well.

There are probably some cases where an innocent person has been harassed, charged, prosecuted, plea bargained, or even convicted for innocently carrying a baseball bat or tire iron.

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
On that note, I can say that speaking with some other officers that some agencies are still arresting for a having a handgun in their vehicle concealed, even though its legal.

The Houston DA was doing this for a while. You would win in court if you fought it, but it would cost you an arrest, an arrest record, jail time, bail fees, lawyer money, time off work, etc. He knew he was wrong but got away with it until the legislature reworded the law again.

Unfortunately, some of the agencies are all too willing to "arrest him anyway, and let the judge sort it out."

DM51

Flashaholic
The thread has veered too far off-topic with spurious talk of clubs, handguns etc.

It's a bad topic anyway; most such "self-defense" threads end in acrimony and have to be closed.

Furthermore, I'm not certain it belongs here in this forum. "Self-defense flashlight laws in TX?" Is there any specific law concerning defending oneself with a flashlight, rather than another object? I don't know, but I doubt it. If there is no specific law on this, that means the entire thread, including the title, is off-topic. Whatever the case, I'm closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.