Sydney 2007 - Wednesday April 18th

Glen C

Enlightened
Re: Sydney 2007

I will get down to LCNP in the next few nights and scout around for a spot

Orbit

Enlightened

sorry fellas i'll be in cairns, but i'll shine the ute lights towards you...you should see it in the northerns sky lol.

missionaryman

Enlightened

Thanks Glen,
Orbit - too bad we miss you again.
depending on when MirageMan finishes my machining and when Andrewwynn sends down my Hotdriver I should have two new lights to display using two relatively new set ups:
2C MAG61 (Phillips 5761) using two of the new LiIon C cells
2D MAG64 (WA 1164) using 8 Titanium Powermax AA's in a modamag holder
both of these lights are using relatively newly discovered light engines and batteries. The Titanium Powermax's are an alternative to the CBP1650 and at 1800mah they offer better run times and when tested by Silverfox they were a better battery.
I will be using these in a regulated set up so we can all see how a Hotdriver actually performs.
Both these lights will put out about 40w or 1000 torch lumens.
I'm also planning on bringing 4 different ROP's 3 of which are vintage mods.

Glen C

Enlightened

Missionaryman, I will be bringing a ROP I am just about to build, have all the components except one which is about 2 days away, might be able to pick up a few tips from you.

Orbit, pity we will miss you, you definitely get around and your ute must have good spotties :)

ICUDoc

Enlightened

Hi all
Not sure if i'll make the meet, but I think you better check whether LCNP is accessible after dark- I think it might be closed.
(If it's not, it's close to my place, so it would be good for me!)

Glen C

Enlightened

ICUDoc, you are right the LCNP is shut after dark, I am thinking of the park just north of the entrance or just behind the old steakhouse. Will check it out tonight or tomorrow

PS Luke Stephens, is LCNP ok for you?

Last edited:

Glen C

Enlightened

Went to LCNP and surrounding area tonight, not totally happy with the spots. Found Rotary Park at the corner of Epping Rd and Mowbray Rd, good under cover section but has training there on Wednesday evenings, other sections of the park didn't have as much room, will keep looking for something more suitable

Glen C

Enlightened

Does anyone know anything about the Field of Mars? It was suggested to me as a location and close to LCNP which seems central for many

Orbit

Enlightened

well guys perhaps a meed in june/july will see me make an aperance.
So I watch and wait for the reports of this meet.

missionaryman

Enlightened

so Tuesday morning was pretty foggy out here, I went out at 6am and shined my ROP into the dark sky and it was a full light cannon. tried to take pics but my wife and photographic technology were not blending well that morning...
Hope we get a foggy night.

Glen C

Enlightened

Missionaryman, I don't blame your wife at 6am!!

Have found two locations near LCNP after a few visits and much google earth searching, I will check they work at night. Will try in the next couple of nights

missionaryman

Enlightened

So it looks like I'll have my mag64 up and running by then if the Hotdriver gets here on time which it should.
Now I just need to get my parts for the mag5761 2C here so I can put that one together too.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast

So, is the "Wednesday, the 18th April" still the likely date??

I need to know if this is firm so I can plan for it, being in Adelaide!!

Glen C

Enlightened

Cernobila, 18th April seems to have universal acceptance so I would say that is a definite. I should have a location picked soon.

Missionaryman, looking forward to seeing the ROPs :)

Glen C

Enlightened

Venue: Blackman Park, Lane Cove

Date: Wednesday, April 18th 2007 7 - 7.30pm

After much driving and looking at locations, etc I have found Blackman Park at Lane Cove, just down from LCNP. It is on LLoyd Rees Drive, Lane Cove behind the Lane Cove industrial area so we will not be disturbed by any houses complaining about strange men with searchlights. If you have a look on the attached Google Map you can see a large buffer of bush around the park.

For those coming from Epping or Ryde, it is the next turn right (or south) , after Sam Johnson Drive to the industrial area. The name is Moore Street. It is easy to recognise because of the overhead footbridge next to Moore St. Please be aware that Mars Rd is blocked after Avalon Ave, which is not shown on all maps.

For those coming from the south, go through the tunnell or across the Sydney Harbour Bridge, up the freeway towards Chatswood (when you get to the new Lane Cove tunnel, take the Pacific Hwy exit which the leads to Longueville Rd exit. Longueville Rd turns into Epping Road then about 1.5 km from the exit is Moore Street, again recognisable by the footbridge. It is on your left. It is about 500m after the intersection of Centennial Drive, recognisable by the motorbike dealer and service station (BP?) near the corner.

If you are coming from the inner west I would take the Gladesville Bridge then follow the road as it is Burns Bay Road, then turn left at the main intersection of Penrose and Burns Bay Rd, which is the intersection with the Shell? service station at the top of the hill as you start to enter Lane Cove.

The location is a large park open till 8.30pm. About 50m after the main gate is a picnic shelter on the left, the only one, we will try to meet there or near there if in use. Just before the main gate is a community tennis court centre, last night when I was there I noticed the toilets were open after dark.

If you look at the google sattelite map you will see four trees dividing the park. The photos below were taken in the top 40% of the park (on the right in the map) facing towards the trees (one is lit in the photos). It is a big space.

One remaining question. Sunset is at 5.31pm, What time would suit everyone to arrive?

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

Google map: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=blackman+park+lane+cove+sydney+australia&sll=-33.830493,151.214737&sspn=0.00156,0.002454&layer=&ie=UTF8&t=k&om=1&z=16&ll=-33.812867,151.146791&spn=0.01248,0.026672&iwloc=addr

Photo of park taken in the dark showing the limited light spill from the road/car park:

darkwk5.jpg

Photo from same position with a Boxer for light:

hidgq7.jpg

Last edited: