What did you use your flashlight for today?

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okeydokey, this weekend four of us decided to investigate some WWII Sentry posts and pill-boxes near the sea on some scrubby marshland near our weekend retreat. We were going to do it during the day, but an extended body surfing session followed by supper put paid to that. Also the allure of finding these relics by torchlight/flashlight was irresistible.

So off we set at around ten PM. armed with a Fenixes HL1, LD20, L2T(Q3), TA21 and a Tiablo TL1. Of course, being a Flashaholic, I had several backups and batteries in my jacket pockets. All along with an Ordnance Survey map of the area.

We found the path to the field where the artefacts lay, but it was barred by a locked gate, which we climbed over.

Now here's the thing. These torches were great at illuminating the ground all around us for a considerable distance - 50 - 100 feet of clear navigation all around. But this field was big - most fields are much bigger than that radius after all - and it had hillocks and dykes, which of course we couldn't see over.

About a hundred yards in we found our first cow-pat (dung) and stepped over it. That should have told us something...Cows make pats...where were the cows in this empty field at night.

Then we passed a circular construction made of metal and filled with hay - about seven to eight feet across - it loomed up on us as the extreme distance torchlight illuminated it at first in the gloom. Like your first sight of a floating mine in the fog in one of those WWII movies starring Jack Hawkins or Bernard Lee. A cow feeder of course - still we continued on our dark path.

I suppose subconsciously, I thought the cows were probably asleep in some farmer's sheds - it was past eleven by now after all.Then we saw a lone brick building far away - it looked like a military type and all thoughts of cattle faded as we tramped across the, now I come to think about it, well trodden ground all around us to this architectural oddbod with all due speed.

Old and abandoned, with more holes than roof, a privy at the end and a raised concrete platform on one side, this dwelling stood proud from the mud and dung surrounding it. No idea what it was, probably never will either. There was no vegetation near it, just the bare, hoof marked and churned dry mud...

Took a few pics inside and out before moving on. Just then one of us saw something in the light of his TL1 - a pair of eyes, then another, then several, then more than we could count. There were lots of them - a large bank of orange glowing eyes about seventy feet across the field. About forty pairs of eyes in all, all about four and a half feet off the ground. There was the silence of mutual rumination, for the cattle, literal.

Now we are city folk through and through. True we have been to the country, but as far as we knew, all you had to be careful of was to close the gates after you, and since we didn't open one at all, we were OK?

The cows decided they were interested and started to move towards us with low moaning and mooing and gurgling that in other circumstances would have been a pleasant and almost soporific sound. Trouble is they each weighed 800-1000 kilos and we didn't know our cows from our Bulls! Some of them, most of them had horns on - I didn't know that still happened.

Here you go then, twenty-first century Man, with some high tech illumination devices, mobile phones, etc. confronted with a herd of large, inquisitive and possibly hungry bovines. I know who I'd put my money on!

Retreat seemed to be the order of the day, but they decided to join us for the trip. Walking, we knew, would be better than running. We had all seen Rawhide or even Lion King. So we slowly but hysterically walked as lightly as we could back to the brick shack, now we supposed, a safe haven. Just as we decided to go there, a good two thirds of the cattle started running before us and circled it, coming round the back. You know what, the sound of lots of beef running at close quarters is a little unsettling, but not as loud as you might think.

We reached the shack, cattle in our way was inclined to move out of our path once you shone the torch in its eyes. Score one for torches! It was at this time that I realised none of the 'Cows' had udders. Steers or bullocks then - hopefully not young bulls!

Once inside our refuge we took stock. We had lots of torches, a couple of asthma pumps, mobile phones with little signal, and no idea how to deal with cows in a field at night. I considered the merits of overloading an unprotected Lithium Ion cell and chucking it at them. BTW at this stage the Tiablo TL1 decided to show us that absolute regulation is never a good thing. It went out, completely and without warning! Thank god we had the Fenixes. ( a spare LD20 was issued and gratefully received. I slung a new cell into the TL1 and it fired up again so now I had one torch in each hand. That felt better.

The cattle were obviously perplexed by our uncommon behaviour. They stopped an waited outside, wondering what to do next. It became very still. Thoughts turned to what would happen if they came inside, there being no door! We could always climb up to the green and mouldy rafters? I think not!

All the impetus we needed was when one cow decided to try and come in. I shouted at it in a manly way and gave it the full force of the TA21 and the TL1. Shouting helped me, because it was loud and definitive and also because that was exactly how Clint Eastwood used to deal with an unruly steer. But then he was on a horse and could outrun the bull if they decided to cut up rough! So with shouts of 'AWAY! BACK OFF! DO PLEASE GO AWAY I BESEECH YOU!' which, strangely I shouted with the accent of a Yorkshire farmer, we proceeded back on our extended path slowly and carefully to the gate. It probably took only a few minutes, but felt like we would never get there, so slow and vivid was our progress.

All the time the cattle would run in bursts past us to stop and lower their heads right in front - only to be warded away by the bright lights and the shouts. When the gate was in sight all the cattle suddenly took heel and stampeded! There was no way we could run as fast as they. Luckily they ran away from us and by the time we climbed the gate as one, they were right across the field.

In some ways their behaviour was like playful puppies, the curiosity, the playful running and rearing and challenging. Much like a dog with a stick. But when you're being chased by several tonnes of meat, the playfulness kinda leaves you cold. Especially when the playing might include things like ramming and tossing and trampling, all in the name of fun.

The Fenixes performed very well indeed. Not one of them needing a fresh set of batteries for the whole 2 and a half hour walk. But the Tiablo will forever be consigned to the drawer of unused torches from now on.

We never did see the pill boxes, nor did we care. And the next day celebrated surviving our stupidity by having burgers galore for supper, eating cattle is much more to my taste than dancing with them. And I, for one, will never venture into a dark field again with a light heart.

Thank God for streets, buildings and buses - and all the polluting smells and sounds of the city!

Yes I know I'm a Wuss! Wussaholics unite.

Moo!

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
This past Saturday night I went on a night walk with my girlfriend, as we normally do to work off dinner. I took along my newest light, a modified 2 D cell Maglite. It worked out great and I'm *very* happy with my latest addition/creation. :)

jacketch

Newly Enlightened
Went bike riding for 12 miles at 4AM today.

On the handle bars I have 2 SF 6Pled torches and 2 Coleman CR23 MAX lights. On my helmet I have a Petzl Tekinna2 and a Fenix PD30.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Wanted to be absolutely certain I switched off my headlights after parking my sweet ride. Not only did I check the front of the car, but I shined my P10A through the driver's side window to check that the stalk was in the "off" position. (The large indoor garage that I share with other building residents can get quite dark in certain spots. Couldn't see into the window without my light.)

Batou00159

Enlightened
This is da longest story i read on da CPF:D ausome

mooo

p.s

i used my sunway m20c today to see down this really really long pipe which i was indevering to crall down must have been about 2 ft by 2 ft and it smelt really funny:green:

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
4D mags, head removed, threads degreased. Insert first under the front of a piece of furniture you intend to move, seesaw up the end and roll it forward, add more lights as needed. Once the mag body reached the end, have someone insert the second mag in to the front and slide out the first mag so you don't step on it while continuing foward...thats one way to go about moving a piece of furniture with a flat bottom on carpet. Thankfully my dough rollers was nearly the same diameter.

How do you think egyptians rolled stones on sand?:nana:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my newest light to illuminate the bin to put a bag in it, and to wheel it up to the kerb for emptying.

thats it for today, yesterday i used it to light up the inside of the studio at work while i was shooting some products (just so i could see where the lights were)

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been some "suspicious characters" in our neighbourhood last week or so. Cops are making regular rounds, but I have been using my Tri-V to illuminate the back alley, the field at the end of the road etc when walking the dog at night. Neighbours know it's me, but it's good to light the place up , let the idiots know I can see them.
The other night, I shone it across the soccer field & did see some bodies dash away:sick2:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my Fenix LD20 to look for leaks in some copper water pipes that I soldered together in my garage today.

jacketch

Newly Enlightened
I used my Olight T10 to check above the drop ceiling in one of the offices in the plant to see where a leak was coming from so I would know who to get to fix it.

Eddie-M

Newly Enlightened
I found 3 next day air letters stuck in a conveyor belt at UPS. The last shift had missed them. I also strobed unruly employees with the P7 :)

OCD

Enlightened
Damn my luck today! The power went out at my work for about 5 minutes due to a passing storm. Unfortunately, I was in one of our buildings that had some open overhead doors which let in more than enough light to see. :shakehead

Upon returning to my office, which is in the middle of a building with no windows to the outside, I asked my co-workers if the power went out. They said that it did and wanted to know where I was (see, they know about my flashaholism! :D) because it got very dark and that they had to resort to some 2AA, plastic, promotional incan light with old, cheap alkalines to see! :sick2:

Their lack of illumination (and preparedness :fail:) made me feel a little better about missing out on using my lights in a time of need.

tandem

Enlightened
Used mine during a massive power outage in Vancouver this evening (started off with a loud bang heard at our location, 70,000 customers affected, somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of the city area) - power out more than an hour. Our movie watching suddenly interrupted, pulled my Fenix LD10 out of my pocket to round up the emergency kit, disconnect all the computers, LAN and video gear, break out the crank up radio and flashlights for everyone else. Took a spare LED light with fresh batteries two doors down to an elderly neighbour on a hunch that she may not have a good light and sure enough she and her daughter came to the door carrying an incandescent light already starting to yellow and sputter.

Ironically earlier in the day my wife had been good naturedly bugging me about my flashlight fetish when she caught me looking at some cheapo LED lights in a local store. During the outage my good wife was eyeing my LD10 R4 wondering if perhaps I should get one for everyone in the family...

Illum

Flashaholic
5/31/2010. The timer went off for the lights in the public bathroom I was using!!!:candle:

that happens quite often now...public restrooms having infrared sensing to turn the lights on, 5 minutes later your sitting on the porcelin in a dark room with no windows.

Last edited:

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thinking: used a zebralight h50w for giving pets after midnight snack and go to the kitchen for a couple of advils.

fishhead

Newly Enlightened
My cat was sitting by the front door this morning staring up at the walls and ceiling. I went over there and heard a scrabbling sound so I went outside with my Quark 123^2 neutral white to look around. Didn't see any critter but did see a hole under the eaves so I suspect some small rodent is making a home up there. Will have to patch it up this weekend.

(Kitty is an indoor kitty so unless there's also a hole inside the house she won't be able to solve the problem. Saw a coyote trotting down the street one morning last week - not a kitty friendly area!)