What is time?

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I'm starting to get this... if we approach the speed of light, our LiIon's will last for thousands of years, and if we bump into a static universe the neighbors can never complain about flashlight beams in their trees no matter what.

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
I'm not familiar with Einsteins feelings about quantum mechanics, but there is undeniably quantum mechanics that have different rules than non quantum mechanics.

Albert Einstein said:
God does not play dice.
I shall never believe that God plays dice with the world.
I had the understanding that Einstein disliked quantum theory because it assumes you can't know everything. For instance;
Werner Heisenberg said:
The more precisely the position is determined, the less precisely the momentum is known in this instant, and vice versa.

Interesting article on said off topic.Uncertainty: Einstein, Heisenberg, Bohr, and the Struggle for the Soul of Science

Back on topic
Albert Einstein said:
The distinction between the past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.

CampLite

Newly Enlightened
Why wouldn't newer scientists try to use Einsteins work to further their own.

This is and always has been the way of scientific discovery.

Einstein's work was ground breaking, but was only one in a series of stepping stones, complete with limitations.

I'm not familiar with Einsteins feelings about quantum mechanics, but there is undeniably quantum mechanics that have different rules than non quantum mechanics.

If Einstein was still alive I am sure that with his brilliance, and the tools of the day he could probably say a thing or two about the forces that exist at the quantum level.

You don't need to throw out Einsteins achievements to move beyond them into further exploration into theoretical physics.

There has to be a unified truth that fits all the rules of nature together perfectly. It is natural for people to try to get closer to an overall understanding that puts it all together.

If you accept Einsteins theory then it must somehow be associated with new discoveries. If you cannot justify it it either means the theory is wrong or incomplete, or that science cannot yet grasp the connections and rules that make it fit.

I would never "throw out" anything that einstein gave to us. He was the genious of the modern era and a personal hero of mine. I do accept his theory, but it is fact that he was at odds with quantum mechanics. His thoguhts were that since the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics is a foundational part of the science it must be incorrect. We have advanced the theories of Einstein and in some ways refined them, I think ultimately Einstein was wrong about QM, however, in my mind that does not mean he was not right on most of his other work. I just love the new science that is being persued and anxious to learn more!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
The next natural question from a human perspective is, what's beyond the physical that began this universe or the multiverse, if the hunch is even valid? If the universe is only physical, then how does matter come from non-matter and how is design complexity and fine tuning, explained? If the universe is only atoms randomly banging off of other atoms, without purpose, then why the apparent purpose and order of it all. How does consciousness spawn from non-consciousness and how does morality come from non-morality? If morality is only physical then morality is also an illusion since physical matter by its very nature is prederterminism. In other words, if I'm simply cosmic dust, then I have no value, no purpose and no moral constraints. To suggest that I possess any of these is to assume that something finite as assigned me value, assigned me purpose or assigned me moral boundaries.

Regarding Carroll's work, what's important here is not just the empty question of whether or not this universe is the final or second to the final "container" of physical matter. For me the question is what's the more likely explanation for the observable and theoretical universe, that it came randomly out of nothing or that some kind of consciousness directed it somehow? This line of thinking is actually more tangible and testable than trying to grasp the possibility of a mulitverse.

We have the book of nature that displays orderly design and physical laws, which are intelligible by conscious, rational minds. Most of us have a sense of life beyond our physical body or what could be called the sense of life beyond death. If not morally handicapped, we also have a sense of absolute right and wrong and if we say that there is no right or wrong but live daily as if there were, we're deluding ourselves. If life is just an illusion of value, if consciousness is only physical, and if we're just non-directed, constructs of cosmic dust then it doesn't really matter if we're here or not, in which case is there any real reason to remain alive?

Fortunately most of us do have a sense of worth or purpose even if not all of us actually seek to recognize a non-physical director of things. Not only are we capable of loving other human beings but we're even capable of loving other living things which is inexplicable by a physical only world. In any case, I hope to have triggered the acknowledgment of our sense of things beyond the physical since physicality is clearly just one element of reality when we dissect things logically.
One thing you're missing is that your perspective is limited by the physical constraints of your brain. Would an ant understand quantum physics? Can a human being ever hope to discern even a glimmer of what is out there in the cosmos? It's sheer arrogance in my opinion to think we're doing anything but stumbling in the dark. Sure, we can certainly find patterns out there if we wish which suggest some sort of higher purpose at work, just as you can find order from random jumbles of almost anything. But in the end, it's simply a contruct of our mind, nothing more, nothing less. I'm sure hypothetical Alpha Centaurians might feel whatever view they have of the universe is as valid as ours. And maybe it is, to them, given the constructs of their brains.

My point isn't that seeking a greater understanding is bad. It isn't. I'm all for understanding more about the universe so we're better able to exploit that knowledge for the benefit of ourselves, and also other living creatures on the planet ( yes, their planet as well, not just our planet ). Where it gets futile and pointless is taking it past the point where it's of practical value. Do I really care what happened before this iteration of the universe came into existence? Will I really care what happens after? Was it created by something, rather than all by chance? And if so, then who created the something that created the universe? You see my point I hope. These kinds of questions can continue on into infinity. And yet my human mind is barely able to comprehend what might occur over a few generations of human existence. I only know I exist, I am self-aware, I can see the beauty in the here and now without caring what came before or what will come after. My perspective may not be as limited as that of an ant, or a cat, but I fully realize there is more beyond my knowing due to the limits on my mental capacity. When humans evolve, expand their minds by several orders of magnitude, we will know and comprehend more. However, we'll still be but a point of light lost in a vast, incomprehensible, wonderful universe. Maybe the universe itself is simply a mind of sorts, where each star is winking in and out of existence is but a thought. It squashes one's ego to think in those terms.

At the heart of it, I doubt there is any higher purpose to it all. Seeking such usually detracts from the simple enjoyment of the here and now. At this juncture I remember the line Dr. Zaius said when Taylor rode off in the sunset to seek the "truth": Don't look for it, Taylor. You may not like what you find.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Databyter;3300864]Interesting comments patriot. I had a few thoughts about what you said.

Carroll is not one of those who suggest that time does not exist. He falls into the category of analyzing how it works, and tries to answer some of the questions you posed.
Hi Databyter. Say, I wasn't responding to Carroll in this paragraph. I was just addressing some previous comments about the non-existence of time. As you stated, Carroll seems to be ok with it's existence and I have no qualms with his scientific pondering and speculation. Actually, I think it pretty neat.

Einstein's theories in a nutshell show that in fact energy is matter and vica-versa, and that time was a regulating factor in the equation. Matter came from energy after the big bang, but the big bang wasn't the beginning, it was just part of a cycle (according to Carroll). I've always thought it was cyclical myself. It's small minded to conclude that there was nothing before what we can't postulate.
I'm not sure how this ties in directly with what I stated but that's ok, I'll just respond the best that I can. :) Again, I have no problem with Carroll's work perhaps some day we'll have better information or even some evidence that the universe/s spawned from a cyclical action but right now we have little data to go from. I think you may be misunderstanding if you think that I believe there was "nothing before what we can't postulate." My point is that at one time the physical universe came into existence, if it's just a cyclical branch of something larger, say a multiverse, that too began to exist at some point and something had to cause it. As I stated earlier, perhaps the multiverse is part of something even larger, even a gigaverse. Install the amount of tier-ing that you see fit but at last, something doesn't come from nothing and at some point something was responsible for the universe / multiverse / gigaverse and the energy which was set free in it.

You literally are cosmic dust, there was no carbon until many suns burned long enough to create enough of it to form planets and eventually life. So, we are all literally star dust. I don't know why you would think you have no value just because your body is composed of carbon.
Of course we're cosmic dust my friend but you're missing the larger point. If I'm simply cosmic dust, if I'm only cosmic dust, if I'm nothing else but cosmic dust, then who or what assigns value to me. If the world is purely naturalistic then the value or preciousness of life is an illusion. Like dirt, man would have no value intrinsic value by nature or purely physical forces. In other words it takes a conscienceness to give value to something. Yes, I may be valuable to my family and friends now but what if I had none left, am I still valuable? Beyond that the Bill of Rights gives me value but what if I lived in Nigeria, what then assigns me value, the earth perhaps? See where this is going? My point is that we're not simply dust. We're constructed of dust but something else has to be added or things like truth, value & morality can't logically be traced to finality. One could make a pragmatic assertion about it but not a logical argument for it.

The question of God is important, but understanding the natural universe as you yourself has said only brings you closer to whatever is truth to you. Furthermore, who is to say that your idea of God doesn't use these cosmic tools. As far as whats more likely believable, the idea of God making Physics more simple to our small minds by saying, "I just created all this stuff" is only simple if you don't think about where God came from.
Well, I never suggested that discovery of the natural universe brings me closer to "my truth." Truth is truth, not something subjective. Things are either true or they are not. Discovery of the natural universe is fantastic interesting and important. I wasn't trying to say that it wasn't and I don't think that I did. What I did do was ask the question of how discoveries or speculation about the natural world tie into what we believe in our worldview. With regards to a creator using cosmic tools, well of course! I never thought otherwise. This is also a great time to remind that tools have a maker as well.

I have a sense of the metaphysical, but I get the sense that you are defending values that are not under attack by this theory.
If you got the sense that I was "defending" rather than just talking, then I'm not sure what to say. I never responded directly or quoted anyone, I was just asking myself a natural progression of questions and writing about them. I could also logically ask why is it that you're in defense against my pondering, right?

I have never understood why people think that science precludes the existance of a spiritual realm. We can have both, and they are in agreement, even if it's hard to see it.
If you responding to me specifically, I think that you've misunderstood my point of view. If that's a general comment, then I couldn't agree with you more. :thumbsup:
I have always thought that science and the metaphysical are the same.
It's neat that "you always thought" this but I must point out that most of the science community would be in disagreement with you. As far as my own thoughts to your statement I may agree or I may not. It all depends on what you mean by science and metaphysical. Yes, they're the same in that they're all derived from the same source, but many also believe that a miracles can occur through the metaphysical, an idea that mainstream science would reject.

and any perception that they are at odds with each other is only due to ones lack of perception in either of the two areas.
Again, it depends on what precisely you mean. If you ask mainstream science, it's not due to a lack of perception. The "at odds" happens because science in its true form is observational. If they can't observe something or its effects then it doesn't exist.

Scientific exploration into the mysteries of life should only re-enforce all of the values that you are defending and illuminating.

Censuring science in the name of morality has been attempted many times throughout history by good and honorable men who in their ignorance were foolish and shortsighted, because censuring the mysteries of creation, as if it could not defend itself with it's own truths, or did not hold value and truth, is unnecessary and immoral in itself (and usually badly botched and counter-productive).
Science cannot replace spirituality or morality, it is only a tool to reach logical conclusions in the natural world. The natural world, as you said, is the book of life.
What you've said is partially true but it's only one side of the coin. The other side of the coin is the fact that many of the scientists who broke the mold, so to speak, and pushed the world into an enlightened age were deists. Bacon, Galilei, Kepler, Copernicus, Newton, Boyle, Faraday, Kelvin and Pasteur are but a small group who all believed in a deity. So, science doesn't have to be at odds with spirituality but in this day and age that's often case whether it makes sense or not. I especially agree with your last paragraph as well.

Last edited:

DoctaDink

Enlightened
Patriot,
I really appreciate you taking the time to express your views on this (in which I am in agreement). You make some lucid and compelling statements.
If you haven't read it, then I believe that you would enjoy the book by Benjamin Wiker and Jonathan Witt: A Meaningful World. ( You can see the contents and first chapter at:
www.Ameaningfulworld.com
Also, podcasts by William Lane Craig are excellent and thought provoking.
Ravi Zacharias and R.C.Sproul, Sr. are also, facinating and scholarly theologian/apologists.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
jtr1962, i hope in my response to you i don't get this thread shut down, but the sheer levels of coincidence to get "us" from space dust by accident are astronomical (pun intended) From our ridiculously stable single star system (a rarity) to the powerful magnetosphere that diverts all the harmful radiation to our uninhabited poles there are more things protecting our fragile system and life as we know it than one could possibly calculate.

As for looking for the truth, well thats a search i no longer go on. I already know the truth. I know the 2 cards in my hand, and I know the river card, the turn and the flop are unknowns, but I already know what the final end truth is, its getting there and seeing everything on the way that makes for a good game.

as far as i understand time, it seems pretty easy, space x time = universal constant (speed of light in a vacuum is the only constant we have). So as space increases, either travelling great distance or traversing dense space (great distance collapsed in by black hole) time will decrease. Theoretically in a black hole of infinite density, time would stop at the event horizon. Also, the faster you travel (more space you cover) the slower time will pass. (All "times" are for the rest of the universe, not relative time to the traveler) Things get really funky when you traverse space at a relative speed faster than the speed of light, in order to balance the equation, you have to travel backwards in time meaning you would arrive at you destination before you left to get there. GPS satellites actually correct for the effects of rapid travel and gravity on their internal clocks. Clocks on earth tick slower than clocks in space because gravity is stronger down here. Relativity in time is certain, as far as making up universes to try to explain this one...still a stretch, sorry carrol.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Some wonderful and thoughtful points, but for all that to be valid, you have to include a scenario where unbeknown to anyone, a mega meteor 100 times the size of earth drifts into our flight path and obliterates every speck of terra firma, and in case any trace remnant survived, the meteor was heading into the sun when it hit us.

This scenario must be addressed, since it is not unreasonable, and has implications on who/what humans think they & their world are. If all traces are randomly obliterated by a drifting mega-meteor, it seriously questions value, intelligent design, etc.

Also, I think it is a mistake to assume that ultimately there had to be a start/beginning of a universe or multi-universe, and/or something beyond that. Just because there is documentation of expansion, doesn't necessarily mean that a "thing" started or will end. Those ideas come from our limited perception of reality through the lens of time & events. A human being cannot perceive infinity, or eternity.

PayBack

Enlightened
Not sure it would be a mistake to assume that, seeing as IIRC Einstein himself said if the universe was created, there must be a creator.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Not sure it would be a mistake to assume that, seeing as IIRC Einstein himself said if the universe was created, there must be a creator.

Think about what you just quoted.

If we assume that was actually what Einstein said, rather than what someone thinks they heard him say, then you missed the pivotal "if" in his statement. It also assumes that Einstein was right about anything in an ultimate sense.

In any case, I am suggesting that perhaps the universe was never started/created--from which the issues of time, matter, energy, existence ensue. By definition, a universe exists and extends in infinite dimensions, infinitely. We can only think of something like a universe with finite limits to some degree. I'm suggesting that there is no such thing as time in an ultimate sense...but such notions are beyond the ability of human perception and thinking.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
If I can offer a bit of distraction.

Time is perceived relative to experience. When you are 1 year old, that second year is a doubling of your experience, twice what you've ever seen or done. When you are 10, that very same segment of time (1 year) is only 10% more of your life. The smaller a percentage of your life that next year (or other time unit) gets, the faster time feels to be passing.

Here's a table:

Age 1 the next year is 100.00% of your life
Age 2 the next year is 50.00% of your life
Age 3 the next year is 33.33% of your life
Age 4 the next year is 25.00% of your life
Age 5 the next year is 20.00% of your life
Age 6 the next year is 16.67% of your life
Age 7 the next year is 14.29% of your life
Age 8 the next year is 12.50% of your life
Age 9 the next year is 11.11% of your life
Age 10 the next year is 10.00% of your life
Age 11 the next year is 9.09% of your life
Age 12 the next year is 8.33% of your life
Age 13 the next year is 7.69% of your life
Age 14 the next year is 7.14% of your life
Age 15 the next year is 6.67% of your life
Age 16 the next year is 6.25% of your life
Age 17 the next year is 5.88% of your life
Age 18 the next year is 5.56% of your life
Age 19 the next year is 5.26% of your life
Age 20 the next year is 5.00% of your life
Age 21 the next year is 4.76% of your life
Age 22 the next year is 4.55% of your life
Age 23 the next year is 4.35% of your life
Age 24 the next year is 4.17% of your life
Age 25 the next year is 4.00% of your life
Age 26 the next year is 3.85% of your life
Age 27 the next year is 3.70% of your life
Age 28 the next year is 3.57% of your life
Age 29 the next year is 3.45% of your life
Age 30 the next year is 3.33% of your life
Age 31 the next year is 3.23% of your life
Age 32 the next year is 3.13% of your life
Age 33 the next year is 3.03% of your life
Age 34 the next year is 2.94% of your life
Age 35 the next year is 2.86% of your life
Age 36 the next year is 2.78% of your life
Age 37 the next year is 2.70% of your life
Age 38 the next year is 2.63% of your life
Age 39 the next year is 2.56% of your life
Age 40 the next year is 2.50% of your life
Age 41 the next year is 2.44% of your life
Age 42 the next year is 2.38% of your life
Age 43 the next year is 2.33% of your life
Age 44 the next year is 2.27% of your life
Age 45 the next year is 2.22% of your life
Age 46 the next year is 2.17% of your life
Age 47 the next year is 2.13% of your life
Age 48 the next year is 2.08% of your life
Age 49 the next year is 2.04% of your life
Age 50 the next year is 2.00% of your life
Age 55 the next year is 1.82% of your life
Age 60 the next year is 1.67% of your life
Age 65 the next year is 1.54% of your life
Age 70 the next year is 1.43% of your life
Age 75 the next year is 1.33% of your life
Age 80 the next year is 1.25% of your life
Age 85 the next year is 1.18% of your life
Age 90 the next year is 1.11% of your life
Age 95 the next year is 1.05% of your life
Age 100 the next year is 1.00% of your life​

PayBack

Enlightened
Think about what you just quoted.

If we assume that was actually what Einstein said, rather than what someone thinks they heard him say, then you missed the pivotal "if" in his statement. It also assumes that Einstein was right about anything in an ultimate sense.

In any case, I am suggesting that perhaps the universe was never started/created--from which the issues of time, matter, energy, existence ensue. By definition, a universe exists and extends in infinite dimensions, infinitely. We can only think of something like a universe with finite limits to some degree. I'm suggesting that there is no such thing as time in an ultimate sense...but such notions are beyond the ability of human perception and thinking.

The "if" is only critical when the comment is taken out of context (which is fair enough as I posted it that way). However the context was him giving a reason why there is a creator... not that he was neccessarily talking about "God" or anything sentient. And again, this is all IIRC :p

PayBack

Enlightened

Ah that explains it! I read somewhere that the expansion of the universe means time should be speeding up and I thought maybe we were perceiving that somehow even though we shouldn't be able to.

mightysparrow

Enlightened
Patriot said. "... Even the idea of the multiverse, which isn't even a theory and probably won't even develop into one any time soon, still doesn't preclude the idea that everything that begins to exist has a cause, whether it be a universe or a multiverse.

Primarily, the cosmological argument is comprehensible like this:

1) What ever begins to exist has a cause.
2) The Universe began to exist.
3) Therefore, the Universe ha a cause.

Exchange "Universe" with "Multiverse" and apply the same cosmological argument now. Even if we could move forward in our understanding by 100 years and develop solid, testable methods to support the theory of a multiverse, who's to say that the multiverse isn't in fact just one of many multiverses which spawn out of a giga-verse? All the idea does is push back the cosmological argument one step.

While insanely intriguing, I must point out that the idea of the multiverse is still pure speculation. It does little to answer perspective based larger questions such as, why we exist in the first place or why there is apparent design, order, and fine tuning, whether we call it the universe or the multiverse. The key here is that whether we study the beginning of our own visible universe or speculate at the possible existence of a multiverse, it all still had a beginning and the ultimate question must still be asked, 'how does everything come out of nothing?' Even secular science tells us that it cannot when the ideas are extruded to finality. In other words, it's illogical to ever think that something can come from nothing, just as Carroll's "arrow" dictates that "the egg comes from a chicken which is part of a farm, which is part of a biosphere, etc, etc."

So what's the "something?" That's what every person must ask themselves if they claim to possess a worldview and there are only two possible outcomes. Either everything is and accident (purposeless molecules in motion) or everything is on purpose."
----------------------------------------------------------

Interesting subject, but I disagree with the assumptions in the above post that 1) there has to be a "cause" of everything, 2) that science tells us that something can't come from nothing, and 3) that there is some sort of "design" and fine-tuning in the universe. None of those assumptions are supported by science. In fact, it is entirely possible that the total matter in the universe has always existed.

Another poster also stated that the universe is expanding for now, but will contract again in the future. I disagree, as the current consensus among astro-physicists is that the universe will continue to expand.

Yet another poster suggested that the theory of the epansion and acceleration of items in the universe away from each other is inconsistent with the collisions we see between objects. Nonsense. The big bang that caused the expansion of objects in general does not preclude other forces (such as gravity, nuclear reactions, etc.) from causing objects to collide.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Time is perceived relative to experience. When you are 1 year old, that second year is a doubling of your experience, twice what you've ever seen or done. When you are 10, that very same segment of time (1 year) is only 10% more of your life. The smaller a percentage of your life that next year (or other time unit) gets, the faster time feels to be passing.

Here's a table:
Age 1 the next year is 100.00% of your life
Age 2 the next year is 50.00% of your life
I don't wan't to be too nitpicky since this was just a distraction, but it should start at: Birth - the next year is 100%, as once you have reached your first birthday, you are starting on the next year which will be 50% of your life.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Patriot,
I really appreciate you taking the time to express your views on this (in which I am in agreement). You make some lucid and compelling statements.
If you haven't read it, then I believe that you would enjoy the book by Benjamin Wiker and Jonathan Witt: A Meaningful World. ( You can see the contents and first chapter at:
www.Ameaningfulworld.com
Also, podcasts by William Lane Craig are excellent and thought provoking.
Ravi Zacharias and R.C.Sproul, Sr. are also, facinating and scholarly theologian/apologists.

Thank you DoctaDink!

Although I haven't read that particular book from Wiker yet, I do know who he is and have listened to him on several podcasts hosted by Greg Koukl. I was just listening to Ravi today at while at lunch...haha, and I'm a regular podcast subscriber and news letter reader to William Craig, Greg Koukl, Jim Wallace, Hank Hanegraaf, Charles Colson and all the great scientists over at Reasons.org.

Interesting subject, but I disagree with the assumptions in the above post that 1) there has to be a "cause" of everything, 2) that science tells us that something can't come from nothing, and 3) that there is some sort of "design" and fine-tuning in the universe. None of those assumptions are supported by science. In fact, it is entirely possible that the total matter in the universe has always existed.

1 and 2 are essentially the same or at least linked since they can be answered the same way.

If you're versed in the something from nothing arguement, most philosiphers of science will agree that something can't come from nothing. Yes, there are a few hold out's from guys like Vic Stenger who always revert to saying that something could come from nothing due to bound up energy offsetting the negative energy of gravity, which causes the expansion of the universe, but this is purely wild haired guessing and is based off of nothing empirical. The majority though, whether secular or theists will grant the basic premise that something can't logically come from nothing.

Regarding "3" I'm afraid that you're behind the curve on this one. Even secular science will concede that for some reason the universe looks as if it's fine tuned, even though they can't explain why. For example one of the leading secular atheists Richard Dawkins will say about life, "yes, it has the appearance of fine tuning but it is not." When pressed about how the mathematical language of DNA could seemingly come from no where, Dawkins admits that we don't no where it came from, but perhaps aliens deposited the technology here. In other words, even he recognizes the mathematical problem of life spawning by purely natural processes given the age of the physical universe compared to the relatively stagnant rate of gene mutation. The denial of precise turning seems completely at odds with what science understand about the universe. Gravity, the proton to neutron ratio, the proton to baryon ration, the nuclear force, and electromagnetic force all have to work harmoniously for anything to work or exist. For physical life to be possible in the universe, manyl attribute must take on specific and consistent values.
  1. Strong nuclear force constant
  2. Weak nuclear force constant
  3. Gravitational force constant
  4. Electromagnetic force constant
  5. Ratio of electromagnetic force constant to gravitational force constant
  6. Ratio of proton to electron mass
  7. Ratio of number of protons to number of electrons
  8. Ratio of proton to electron charge
  9. Expansion rate of the universe
  10. Mass density of the universe
  11. Baryon (proton and neutron) density of the universe
  12. Space energy or dark energy density of the universe
  13. Ratio of space energy density to mass density
  14. Entropy level of the universe
  15. Velocity of light
  16. Age of the universe
  17. Uniformity of radiation
  18. Homogeneity of the universe
  19. Average distance between galaxies
  20. Average distance between galaxy clusters
  21. Average distance between stars
  22. Average size and distribution of galaxy clusters
  23. Numbers, sizes, and locations of cosmic voids
  24. Electromagnetic fine structure constant
  25. Gravitational fine-structure constant
  26. Decay rate of protons
  27. Ground state energy level for helium-4
  28. Carbon-12 to oxygen-16 nuclear energy level ratio
  29. Decay rate for beryllium-8
  30. Ratio of neutron mass to proton mass
  31. Initial excess of nucleons over antinucleons
  32. Polarity of the water molecule
  33. Epoch for hypernova eruptions
  34. Number and type of hypernova eruptions
  35. Epoch for supernova eruptions
  36. Number and types of supernova eruptions
  37. Epoch for white dwarf binaries
  38. Density of white dwarf binaries
  39. Ratio of exotic matter to ordinary matter
  40. Number of effective dimensions in the early universe
  41. Number of effective dimensions in the present universe
  42. Mass values for the active neutrinos
  43. Number of different species of active neutrinos
  44. Number of active neutrinos in the universe
  45. Mass value for the sterile neutrino
  46. Number of sterile neutrinos in the universe
  47. Decay rates of exotic mass particles
  48. Magnitude of the temperature ripples in cosmic background radiation
  49. Size of the relativistic dilation factor
  50. Magnitude of the Heisenberg uncertainty
  51. Quantity of gas deposited into the deep intergalactic medium by the first supernovae
  52. Positive nature of cosmic pressures
  53. Positive nature of cosmic energy densities
  54. Density of quasars
  55. Decay rate of cold dark matter particles
  56. Relative abundances of different exotic mass particles
  57. Degree to which exotic matter self interacts
  58. Epoch at which the first stars (metal-free pop III stars) begin to form
  59. Epoch at which the first stars (metal-free pop III stars cease to form
  60. Number density of metal-free pop III stars
  61. Average mass of metal-free pop III stars
  62. Epoch for the formation of the first galaxies
  63. Epoch for the formation of the first quasars
  64. Amount, rate, and epoch of decay of embedded defects
  65. Ratio of warm exotic matter density to cold exotic matter density
  66. Ratio of hot exotic matter density to cold exotic matter density
  67. Level of quantization of the cosmic spacetime fabric
  68. Flatness of universe's geometry
  69. Average rate of increase in galaxy sizes
  70. Change in average rate of increase in galaxy sizes throughout cosmic history
  71. Constancy of dark energy factors
  72. Epoch for star formation peak
  73. Location of exotic matter relative to ordinary matter
  74. Strength of primordial cosmic magnetic field
  75. Level of primordial magnetohydrodynamic turbulence
  76. Level of charge-parity violation
  77. Number of galaxies in the observable universe
  78. Polarization level of the cosmic background radiation
  79. Date for completion of second reionization event of the universe
  80. Date of subsidence of gamma-ray burst production
  81. Relative density of intermediate mass stars in the early history of the universe
  82. Water's temperature of maximum density
  83. Water's heat of fusion
  84. Water's heat of vaporization
  85. Number density of clumpuscules (dense clouds of cold molecular hydrogen gas) in the universe
  86. Average mass of clumpuscules in the universe
  87. Location of clumpuscules in the universe
  88. Dioxygen's kinetic oxidation rate of organic molecules
  89. Level of paramagnetic behavior in dioxygen
  90. Density of ultra-dwarf galaxies (or supermassive globular clusters) in the middle-aged universe
  91. Degree of space-time warping and twisting by general relativistic factors
  92. Percentage of the initial mass function of the universe made up of intermediate mass stars
  93. Strength of the cosmic primordial magnetic field

Regardless of whether one believes that it happened by deity or via a multiverse, things are indeed fine tuned. What else would you call it when a minimum of at least 90 subcategories of elemental forces have to work in unison where by if any one part of the equalization scale varied by as little as 1/10,000 throughout history the universe couldn't be? The question of fine adjustment really seems to be a non-argument. The argument in light of recent scientific discovery, which testifies to precision, is mainly about where the precision came from, not if it exists or not.

In any case, I am suggesting that perhaps the universe was never started/created--from which the issues of time, matter, energy, existence ensue.

Hi Lux. Great thread btw!

Regarding your statement, Talking about this can be so complicated though that I may have misunderstood you. I just wanted to point out that science states that the universe did have a beginning and that time sprung into existence at this same instant. So much of the World's SuperCollider funding is aimed precisely at understanding the behavior of matter in those first few micro-seconds that cause the universe to exist when it expanded faster than the speed of light, contrary to Einstein's theory's of relativity.

Patriot

Flashaholic
One thing you're missing is that your perspective is limited by the physical constraints of your brain. Would an ant understand quantum physics? It's sheer arrogance in my opinion to think we're doing anything but stumbling in the dark. Sure, we can certainly find patterns out there if we wish which suggest some sort of higher purpose at work, just as you can find order from random jumbles of almost anything. I'm sure hypothetical Alpha Centaurians might feel whatever view they have of the universe is as valid as ours. And maybe it is, to them, given the constructs of their brains.

No, but an ant doesn't posses the capacity to understand Quantum physics.

"Can a human being ever hope to discern even a glimmer of what is out there in the cosmos?" Yes and we see glimmers and attain a rather solid understanding of universal laws on a daily basis. Some things like evidence for a multiverse may be impossible or highly unlikely, but look at what we do know right now and the rate at which astrophysicists are piecing together information. Many documentaries from just 3-4 years ago are practically obsolete.

You can find order from random jumbles of almost anything. You can scatter scrabble letters and easily form accidental words and eventually find simple sentences but you'll never replicate the Bill of Rights that way. Likewise, a monkey banging away on a keyboard for a 13 billion will never accidentally produce the encyclopedia Britannica, even more so if the keyboard supplied contains no vowels. Certain, information can not be reproduced no matter how much time and randomization occurs.

"But in the end, it's simply a contruct of our mind, nothing more, nothing less." You didn't specify the "it" that's a construct of our mind so I can't really respond to this part.

My point isn't that seeking a greater understanding is bad. It isn't. I'm all for understanding more about the universe so we're better able to exploit that knowledge for the benefit of ourselves, and also other living creatures on the planet (yes, their planet as well, not just our planet ). Where it gets futile and pointless is taking it past the point where it's of practical value. Do I really care what happened before this iteration of the universe came into existence? Will I really care what happens after? Was it created by something, rather than all by chance? And if so, then who created the something that created the universe? You see my point I hope. These kinds of questions can continue on into infinity. And yet my human mind is barely able to comprehend what might occur over a few generations of human existence. I only know I exist, I am self-aware, I can see the beauty in the here and now without caring what came before or what will come after. My perspective may not be as limited as that of an ant, or a cat, but I fully realize there is more beyond my knowing due to the limits on my mental capacity. When humans evolve, expand their minds by several orders of magnitude, we will know and comprehend more. However, we'll still be but a point of light lost in a vast, incomprehensible, wonderful universe. Maybe the universe itself is simply a mind of sorts, where each star is winking in and out of existence is but a thought. It squashes one's ego to think in those terms.
I agree with seeking a greater understanding of the physical world and think it's great. As for the benefit of ourselves and other living creatures, it sounds as if you're smuggling in a morality of sorts, which can only exist if there is a creative consciousness. I have no problem if you're suggesting there is a creative consciousness but you have to take a stand on this somewhere. Either there is or there isn't and you elude to a consciousness at the end when you stated that, maybe the universe is a mind of sorts. While I don't agree that the universe is a mind of sorts or that a ball of gasses somehow links itself with other balls of hot gasses to form some type neural network, I think it points out that many intuitively know that it takes a cosmic mind of sorts to make sense of anything we hold to of value; truth, morality, love, etc.

Our minds certainly have limitations and like you stated, it can be overwhelming to think of the infinite, or to attempt to ponder things that are barely or completely intangible. This however, doesn't mean that it's impossible to weigh the evidence and form a strong worldview based off of what we do know.

At the heart of it, I doubt there is any higher purpose to it all. Seeking such usually detracts from the simple enjoyment of the here and now. At this juncture I remember the line Dr. Zaius said when Taylor rode off in the sunset to seek the "truth": Don't look for it, Taylor. You may not like what you find.
You doubt higher purpose based off of what evidence specifically?

I couldn't disagree with you more about your notion of seeking. Seeking doesn't detract, it adds to the enjoyment of the here and now. This is evidenced by the human spirit and how we're continually trying to expand our knowledge. Go tell the scientific community that seeking the answers to the questions of universe is unfulfilling and I think they'll giggle at you. Mankind's very nature is to seek, explore and learn. While I like the movie, Dr, Zaius's comment was from the perspective of a deceiver. In other words, he suggested the continuance of a lie simply because of selfish reasons. He had an agenda to prevent the revelation of the truth because of what it would mean to him personally and positionally. Ultimately, we know that it was best for Taylor to know the truth, even if painful. Prior to that he thought that he was in another world, which turned out to be another "hell" not enjoyment.

Last edited:

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't read the entire thread, but I would like to answer the question as simply as possible. Quite simply, time does not exist. We devise it only as a method to correlate events. The universe exists in a timeless wave state until the very moment you observe it. Everything that has happened, and that is to happen is completely timeless. Although you have free will, everything you are to do has already been included as part of a whole. It's just a matter of you experiencing everything with your capacity to correlate events.

EDIT: Consider this.. When looking at a distant star from your perspective, you are seeing light that took years in relation to other events from your perspective to reach you. But outside your perspective, since that light travels at the speed of light, time does not exist for that light. Those photons have done everything in their course without time whatsoever, and they even have done everything beyond the point at which you observe them. That means, no matter what you choose to do, to look at it, to not look at it, to block the light with your hand, or to give it the finger, it's already completely determined - and there is not a damn thing you can do about it. The course of the light and the entire universe is completely determined, and never even exists outside of a timeless wave state until the very instant it is observed.

EDIT AGAIN: So what does that mean for you? Everything you are to do and experience is already COMPLETE. That includes every feeling and emotion you are yet to experience. Yet, you have free will to do as you please at every single moment! From the perspective of the universe, you've already been born, done everything, and passed on. All that's left is for you to enjoy your seat here on the rollercoaster ride.

Last edited: