1 lumen single mode 1xAA with great tint

michaex

Enlightened
Well, except that MDC AA has "memory", if you don't leave it on for 1 sec it will advance mode.

I still like it, even though I would prefer it having no memory ;)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Solitaires run about 1 hour before flickering then "nighty night". What would be sweet would be an LED solitaire that is only as bright as their old incan version.
I don't know if Sorfirn has an C01's left (C01 not C01s) but the Sophia edition were really nice.

The MDC does not have memory on purpose. What it has is an interface that can allow it to relight at the last setting.
See, most lights use how long it was "off" to advance to the next level. Off for say 1.5 seconds or less allows advance to the next setting. MDC uses "on" to do that. On for less than (0.75?) seconds with the MDC allows the setting to remain in order to allow a user to morse code if they need to. So that's why sometimes it seems to have a memory.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solitaires run about 1 hour before flickering then "nighty night". What would be sweet would be an LED solitaire that is only as bright as their old incan version.
I don't know if Sorfirn has an C01's left (C01 not C01s) but the Sophia edition were really nice.

The MDC does not have memory on purpose. What it has is an interface that can allow it to relight at the last setting.
See, most lights use how long it was "off" to advance to the next level. Off for say 1.5 seconds or less allows advance to the next setting. MDC uses "on" to do that. On for less than (0.75?) seconds with the MDC allows the setting to remain in order to allow a user to morse code if they need to. So that's why sometimes it seems to have a memory.
Oh. I meant the incan. It's only a couple lumens of an easy on the eye tint and the bulbs seem to last forever

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, except that MDC AA has "memory", if you don't leave it on for 1 sec it will advance mode.

I still like it, even though I would prefer it having no memory ;)

I've had the M361, the triple-mode that worked based on the same principle. I could deal with an AA-based Malkoff that does the same. 0.3 lumens should last forever plus a day. I don't have an AA-based battery vampire. Except my Malkoff M61LLL mated with the FiveMega 3xAA body (remember these) but it's huge and not very practical. Not EDC material.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You say you already have a solitaire. Besides being AAA, it fits all the requirements. Why can't that work?

My specs were AA. Triple-A is just a side dish.
I think I am OK with the solitaire on that front, though it's cheap junk. After cleaning all the threads, reinstalling the tailspring, it seems to work but that the 47 lumen model has a relatively short runtime. I've tried to stay away from anything AAA-based.
AA is marginally bigger with 3 times the capacity.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
See if Armytek Prime A2 (XP-L) is right for you.
Right now it's on promotion for only $ 25 (50% off)
It has 0.15 lumens and then a level of 2 lumens (or is 2 lumens too much for you?)

which battery does it use? The web site does not list.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
what's the difference between Elzetta G-EDC-A and JetBeam 1MK?

The specs seem to be about the same. Jetbeam is a bit cheaper, what do I get with Elzetta G-line?

chip100t

Enlightened
I have an mdc and it's a PITA that it does not go back to the lowest mode if you only use it for a second but instead switches up to the next highest setting to the last used.

It would be perfect if it did not do this.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
what's the difference between Elzetta G-EDC-A and JetBeam 1MK?

The specs seem to be about the same. Jetbeam is a bit cheaper, what do I get with Elzetta G-line?
I spoke with Elzetta who told me the Elzetta version has some improved areas over the Jet U that they redesigned and had JetBeam build in. He did not specify nor did I ask.

- The Elzetta arrives with a rechargeable AA cell with a micro usb port. The JetBeam does not.
- The Elzetta is really dark gray. The JetBeam is black.
- The clip on the Elzetta holds onto the light better from what I was told.
- The Elzetta comes with the best wrist strap I've ever had the pleasure of using. The JetBeam a flat ribbon type, which isn't bad at all.
- The Elzetta comes with a threaded hole on the tail area for adding a magnet or trit. JetBeam does not.
- The JetBeam comes with a small split ring for adding to a keychain or fasten a wrist strap. The Elzetta does not.

From what I understand JetBeam makes high quality products so it seems either would be a good choice.

First time you activate it the light starts on high but……after that it starts at whatever setting you last left it on.

The 1 MK can use a 3 volt battery. The Elzetta can but they say "please don't, you'll cook the XP-G2". The Jet U is like the EDC-AA in that it is designed to run off 1.5 volts.

Last edited:

E=mAh²

Newly Enlightened
Well if memory serves right, as per malkoff site - the mode switch timeout is 150 milliseconds so technically one second should more than suffice to restart the circuit into firing back in the first (low) mode again.

That said, yea it can get a little frustrating at times the whole on time memory gene implements in his MDC series. Especially when coming from say Mcgizmo hive or something. And for the longest time I couldn't quite figure out what exactly his reasoning is for that and truth be told I'm still not entirely sure but I believe it may have something to do with eliminating the possibility of accidentally bumping up into an unwanted brighter mode or in some of the older mdcs possibly a strobe mode so as to not spoil night vision but more importantly to avoid revealing your location which is essentially firing up a locator beacon when your not exactly wanting to be errr... located.

But again, this is purely speculation, NOT based on any thing factual or written by Gene or otherwise or at least that I know of. However, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out if this information was infact known to the public (forum members) and I'm sure one or more will gladly jump in if so!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
You are correct E=, love the screen name btw.
You can morse code with an MDC. We must remember Gene started out building lights with first responders and cops in mind. Same with Elzetta.

The MDC was conceived as a backup light. The Elzetta G-Line are too. But rather than stick with just their $100+ Alpha they chose to have some lower priced (albeit imported) options, where Gene has stuck with purely in house built products.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
First time you activate it the light starts on high but……after that it starts at whatever setting you last left it on.

which one do you refer to here? Jetbeam or Elzetta or both of them?
I want the light to come on low, unconditionally.

Although, I am thinking maybe they interface they use is superior to that, can't decide.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are correct E=, love the screen name btw.
You can morse code with an MDC. We must remember Gene started out building lights with first responders and cops in mind. Same with Elzetta.
I am going to rule out the MDC for the price reasons, I need a quasy-cheap backup device, I have a dozen "real" Malkoff lights.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does Jetbeam PA12 offer a different interface? Memory? Lumens in lowest mode? Which mode comes on first?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
which one do you refer to here? Jetbeam or Elzetta or both of them?
I want the light to come on low, unconditionally.

Although, I am thinking maybe they interface they use is superior to that, can't decide.
I was referring to the Elzetta
I keep on by the best set to low, another in my den set to medium and a third one by the front door set on high.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Changed my mind. I should instead focus on a 2xAA light as being more efficient. With everything else staying the same. Ideally a head that takes either 2xAA or a 1x123.
Possible?
Moonlight of around 1 to 1.5 lumens. Not a fraction of a lumen.

Last edited: