Pelican 7060 LAPD: Preview

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

I don't consider this a review of the Pelican 7060 LAPD light but rather a preview based on a Beta sample and some images, observations and rough comparisons.

The sample I received came with a charging dock and a 110 wall wart to provide the dock with 12VDC in:

7060Kit.jpg

I will leave the specs to the manufacturer's supplied data and since this light is a Beta light and not a production light, it is likely that some changes could be made to what I have here. I am not qualified or at liberty to discuss what little I know or understand about the circuitry of both the battery and the LED driver beyond commenting that there is indeed circuitry in both the battery as well as a constant current driver in the light engine. I don't know what the drive level is to the LED but expect it to be one amp or even in excess of 1 amp. I base this on the relative output of the light in comparison with other lights I have.

The LED module with reflector is a threaded coupling between the Bezel and base of the light:

Head-Assy.jpg

The contacts between the module and base are plated and look quite substantial in construction, to my perception:

Contacts.jpg

There are O-ring seals for these threaded joints and both switches have rubber boots for protection. The switches are of a "three way" function like three way switches in a house with the additional feature of momentary on from either switch if the light is in the off state. Either switch can latch the light into either on or off. This "three way" circuit requires two paths between the two switches and the contact points of these paths can be seen as the two pins in the tail caps which connect to the two outer pads on the battery case:

TailCap-Contacts.jpg

The center contact that mates to the tapered coil spring is the negative pick up from the battery. The battery pack has a longitudinal key that mates with a keyway in the base body. The tail cap is designed in a manner such that it self aligns when seated completely. The battery has side contacts for these two paths with one seen in the picture below:

battery.jpg

The side switch as well as tail cap switch add some length to the light when compared to a light that would only have one of the two switches. In a line up with some other lights below, compare the 7060 to the Pelican M9 in particular:

size-comparison.jpg

I left the light on and unattended and picked it up 40 minutes later. The heat sink was quite warm but I was able to grab the light by the sink and hold tight without any real discomfort. Holding the light by the base body was no issue at all; slightly warm.

Well the 7060 uses a Cree XR-E and it has a very deep specular finish reflector. As many know, the XR-E requires a deep reflector to harness its light output if the intent is to collimate in a concentrated beam. The reflector has a short focal length and is relatively very deep. This is the first production (or beta of a production) light I have handled with a reflector designed specifically for the Cree XR-E and with intent of "throw".

Reflector.jpg

So how well does it throw?

Since the 7060 is targeted at a market that is predominantly incandescent at present, I included a couple incandescent lights I had for some beam comparisons along with two LED lights; my S27-Cx2 and a SureFire Kroma. The beam shot field in daylight:

BeamshotField-Daytime.jpg

For the beam shots, I placed a blue gray T-shirt on the wall bellow the middle bananna tree. The shots were taken from the same location as this day shot and the camera (Nikon D70S) was set on manual with 24mm focal length and shutter speed of 10 seconds with F stop at F9. The T-shirt was 36 feet from the lights.

Kroma-Beam.jpg

SF-C3-P90-Beam.jpg

Pel-M9-Beam.jpg

S27-Cx2-Beam.jpg

7060-Beam.jpg

Four of the beam shots combined in one image:

GroupBeam.jpg

In the combined shot, note the grass in the foreground of each beam. I believe the strength of the spill of the Cree XR-E is evident in the 7060 beam shot. Regardless of exposure setting of the camera, I don't think the camera can catch some artifacts in the 7060 beam that you can detect with your own eyes. With the specular reflectors of both the M9 and 7060, you can see some artifacts but I personally don't consider them a distraction or of a level of significance that would cause a misread of that being illuminated.

I took the group image and saturated it in photo shop to give a better feel of the overall beam including the spill and closer to providing an image of what you can actually see. Even here though, I could see much more detail than these pictures reveal (the lights were more than adequate for illuminating the back yard):

GroupBeam-Saturated.jpg

I also took some relative mesaurements which are reasonable fair to be used in comparison of the lights measured but should not be taken in absolute numbers.

For a lux measure, I used a Lutron light meter and placed the lights on a fixture with a hole through it that was placed approximately 1 meter above the light meter's sensor. A set distance from the front of each light and not the light source itself.

Light -------------- Lux
Kroma-------------- 1580
S27-Cx2------------ 4510
C3 (P90)------------ 3340
M9 ----------------- 4650
7060 --------------- 10870

Notes about these lights: The C3 has not been used but has been fired up a few times. I did not replace its batteries with fresh from the box. The Kroma has a few minutes of use on its batteries. The S27-Cx2 is a new light of mine that hosts a Seoul P4 driven by a DB917 and powered by 2xCR123. It uses a McR-27S reflector and is basically a titanium version of the 27LT-S in terms of beam and output. (this is a light some of you are familiar with and for the rest of you,
redface.gif
) Both of the Pelican lights are rechargeable and their batteries had been recently charged with a few minutes of runtime after charge.

I have an integrating sphere that is useful for relative measurements in cases where the lights are "presented" to the sphere in a similar fashion. I measured these lights with following results:

Light -------------- Lumens
Kroma-------------- 85
S27-Cx2------------ 136
C3 (P90)------------ 118
M9 ----------------- 88
7060 --------------- 131 *

* The 7060 has a larger diameter reflector than the other lights and it stands off further from the port on the integrating sphere. For this reason, I knew its reading would be lower in relative terms than the others. I removed the bezel from the light and was able to bring the reflector flush with the IS port. In this manner, I measured 191 lumens. Now this is not realistic as there is light loss from the bezel window. To get a feel for this loss, I did a seperate lux reading of the 7060 with it clamped in a fixture and the light meter fixed in position. Without the bezel, I measured 1359 lux and with it, 1185 lux. The bezel window reduced the lux measure by about 13%. If we deduct 13% from the 191 lumens we get 174 lumens which should put it in a relative ball park, I believe.

I will add some personal observations, opinions and questions in later posts in this thread. I want this initial post to be as objective as possible. The lights I used for comparison were selected because they were close at hand and not with any consious intent of bias; one way or the other. Hopefully some of you are familiar with these other lights so you can use them as a bench mark against the 7060. I would like to add that the 7060 surpasses any of the lights I have that are single LED in both lux and flux even though I have a few lights with larger reflector diameters; with one exception. The exception is a light with a 4" reflector in front of a Seoul P4 LED. My point is that the 7060 is a single LED light with impressive output compared to other LED lights I have and have seen.

Last edited:

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Thanks for this great review, Don!

I recently saw an article about this new light in the newspaper; it was highly praised, and I was wondering how well it would live up to the hype. From your review, it looks like the light actually does a pretty good job!

Thank you also for the photoshop'd versions of the pictures. The first beamshot you took of the 7060 made the light look like it was all spot. When you adjusted the levels in photoshop, however, I could clearly see that it has that same phenomenal spillbeam that I've come to know and love with Crees. It's why the A19 Cree XRE has one of the most useable profiles I've seen (and why I'm still searching for someone to sell me one of your limited XR19-PDs!). It looks like the LAPD got a really nice light! I'm intrigued to see what the officers think of it.

Of course, I'll also be very interested to see what the runtime is. It sounds like the Cree is being pushed pretty hard, so I'm wondering whether all this performance comes at a price...

By the way, anyone who puts forth this much time and effort to review a light shouldn't have to do it using batteries that aren't "fresh." I'm going to include a few new CR123s in the next package I send you. =)

Thanks again, Don!

- FITP

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want one. This looks like the new king of the hill. Lots of people are going to be jealous when they see this new light. WOW!
:goodjob:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
FlashInThePan said:
Thanks for this great review, Don!

+1

Man, this looks to be one AWESOME light. Glad to see it holds its own, performance-wise.

I really like the looks of this light - sleek, futuristic, and just plain cool-looking.

Pelican appears to have excelled with this model.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
+2 Thanks for a great review and pictures Don. I definately will look into purchasing one for carrying on duty. The light looks very well made and the switch system is interesting. I'm just curious how well they will stand up to the rigours of a patrol light. I'm
sold.gif

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
FITP,

Thanks on the batteries but I have plenty. I don't use the C3 and didn't want an additional 3 CR123's that had been "opened" since I have a number of orphans already. I didn't want to make too much of a production out of this and I guess it's obvious!
redface.gif

I did think it would be of interest to have some relative size and performance comparisons as well as some under the hood shots.

I think one of the cool things about this light is the Li-Ion pak but there are aspects about it that I would like to know more about. I was recently sent some WiseLED lights to check out and I found that one that I had charged up was dead about a month later. With these protected cells and their onboard circuitry, I guess many go into a sleep mode but are never really "off". I would think it would be great to have a spare battery for one of these 7060's and it could be charged in the light and then removed and kept as a spare. The value here though would depend on the discharge rate of the spare I would think. I have experienced good shelf life with Li-Ion cells for my phones and I hope that is the case here.
icon3.gif

I believe the 7060 is capable of variable output either through a mechanical selection or programed UI but I think this would be unacceptable to its target market. As has been said before, a light is what it is and it often could be different or have other features. For many, the 7060 will likely be larger than they would like. I think the size issue is one that matters during carry but not when in use. The light fits nicely in the hand and has a comfortable feel and mas about it, IMHO. It feels like a fair amount of light forward when you use the rear switch but this is a tactical consideration that I am not familiar with, The side switch is right where my hand would want it. The CG is right at the side switch so the balance feels right to me.

Personally, I prefer a larger spot with smoother transition to spill and am willing to sacrifice in lux. IE. I would prefer the reflector with an orange peel surface. For its intended market though, I expect max lux is a primary goal. Perhaps if this light is successful, Pelican would consider a civilian version that had variable output or reduced horse power and a more blunt beam pattern.

byron8

Newly Enlightened
Interesting and good work McGizmo. But not so fast folks. I wouldn't fork out $200 just yet without further review of the constuction plastic, thermal expansion when heated, waterproofness of the slide switch, off on switching reliability. Also, would like to compare apples with apples, in other words compare other lights with similar voltage and with Cree XR-E. It's not really fair to compare this with halogen or other incandescent right. I look for value. Also, is the battery specially designed by Pelican. If that is the case it may be had to get and expensive if there is no competition. Also, would be interesting to know what the life of the LED is considering the high current, voltage, etc. What is Pelican support on their lights. I had lights break and they refused to fix it past the warranty period few years ago. Maybe it is lifetime now, I don't know. Thanks again for the interesting report.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Thanx!
This would mean a drive current well over 1Amp considering the S27-Cx2 is running at almost one amp?

Any idea about runtime? :nana:

bernie

photorob

Enlightened
Holy :drool: lump of Titanium.

I always liked pelicans reflectors. People talk a big game about surefire but Pelican is always pushing the limits in Led reflector R&D.

SaratogaWay

Newly Enlightened
Pelican's lifetime guarantee has been and continues to be 'Unconditional lifetime guarantee'. Sounds to like 'byron8' did not purchase a Pelican light.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks McGizmo for your review. Maybe I missed it, but any chance you could post the dimensions and weight?

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
SaratogaWay said:
Pelican's lifetime guarantee has been and continues to be 'Unconditional lifetime guarantee'. Sounds to like 'byron8' did not purchase a Pelican light.

+2
I've used Pelican lights for years and 2 times I've had warranty problems and both times Pelican replaced the old lights both of which were at least 2 or 3 yrs old.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some possible answers:

--Pelican's warranty is excellent. I've sent back two lights over the years, and one was replaced with the current model (as the one I sent in was discontinued--it needed a new window) and one had a defective rechargeable battery stick, and Pelican replaced the whole light, incl. charger, light and battery.
--Thermal expansion? In what? The nylon body won't expand at all.
--Slide switch? There is no slide switch in this light. They're both push-button.

The big drawback I see is with carry options. I'm guessing LAPD will have leather sheaths for these, probably custom made through Tex Shoemaker or anotehr So. Cal manufacturer.

Based upon the pictures, I'm guessing diameter is close to a SL Stinger, and the 7060 is about 1 inch longer. It may possibly be carried in an open top holder for a SL Stinger.

I'm a bit concerned about the Cree, as they haven't been proven long term.

-dan

pilou

Enlightened
First, many thanks for the mini-review.

There is no doubt this is a farily high output light. But as I look at the beam pattern, my attention is drawn to a very small and very bright hot spot. Sure, there is also a decent amount of sidespill, but when your eyes adapt to such a bright hot spot, I wonder about how much of that spill you really get to see. Having used the light, you can perhaps comment on that, and say whether that is even an issue.

Looking at the front of the light, it seems like there are two concentric reflectors, a small one and an outer large one. Can you confirm that is indeed the case? You can almost see it in your beam shot as well.

It would be interesting to compare it to a proven throw-monster like the Magcharger.

Now the most important question ... do you feel like you can really hurt someone by whacking them on the head with this light? :lolsign: The bezel edge seems pretty sharp. Plastic or not, I bet you can put a nice gash in someone's skin with that.

Now from a hobbyist point of view, this light won't win any beauty contests :laughing:. And if the price is indeed around $200, I really don't know if it is worth it, since a good chunk of the cost was probably to meet certain LAPD requirements about which a hobbyist may not necessary care about. Of course, this is just a prototype and and only first impressions.

Drew

Newly Enlightened
Great Review! This light looks like a winner to me. If the production model is as good as this Beta version and the price is closer to $100 I will have one for sure!