Ken4 SuperLight beats McCulloch X990

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have presented beam pic comparisons of these lights before. First a SureFire M6/500 at 193 yards.
20951065.jpg

Only to be clobbered by the McCulloch X990
20951069.jpg

But now, the bar has been raised...Introducing the Ken4

20951070.jpg

24 volts, 250 watts, bulb rated at 9,000 lumens in a modified Vector Yellow Banana.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re: Its a bird... no its a plane.... ITS a Ken4 Super

<font color="red">holy god!</font> (i actually screamed that out loud when i saw that beamshot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Zeppert

Enlightened
what the ...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Jeff,

If you bring this Kenshiro wonder into the caves, we won't need our jackets; only sunglasses! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
HOLY HECK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

dang, that thing is really a night-scorcher

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
fence... (inside joke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

that's freaking crazy! de-freaking-tails!

K-T

*Moderator*
Very crazy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Where could one find more information about that Ken4?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Jeff,

I assume that the 9000 lumens is out the fron end? If so, we have 9000/250 or 36 lumens/watt. On the HID's, we get say 2000 lumens from 35 watts? Is this a fair figure? So in this case we get 2000/35 or 57 lumens/watt. I assume there are inefficiencies not accounted for in the ballast. I would be curious to just what some realistic figures would be. It seems that the Ken4 is going to be the winner, hands down in lumens per $!!!! On the other hand, those willing to pay a premium for rugged duty and efficiencies may be better served with a HID. This assumes of course that folks can live with the limited luminous output from the HIDs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can someone provide some number comparisons here? How is the bulb life and battery run time with the Ken4?

- Don

jtice

Flashaholic
OK, lets try this again, I was posting last night when my internet went offline. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

"Holly F**king Crap thats BRIGHT !!!" That was my exact words when I saw those pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

PLEASE more details, its just not right to tease us this way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

24V bulb huh? I dont know a lot about HID systems yet. I take it you dont have to feed 24V to it, becuase of the ballast? What batts are running this thing? And what runtime are you getting?
Tell me i dont have to carry 2 12V car batts on my back to run this thing... cuz I WILL !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hmmmm, actually, it is plugged into the car huh? It would pretty much have to be I guess. Still cooooool though.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
The batteries(21 of them)are the key ingredient to the Ken4 light. They are ultra high capacity NiMh, but differ from most as then can sustain a 12 amp load CA-CHING$$$. Also, the battery pack had to be specially constructed as the normal spot welds tabs melted (it's a prototype, remember ?) The problem with the special battery pack, is that it requires a very special charger and power supply CA-CHING $$$

The bulb is as stated before, 24 volt, 250 watts, and 9,000 lumens... Osram Projector Bulb but the bulb holder/socket and how it attaches to the Vector reflector is "different"

The run time is about 15 minutes.

Lastly, it's much lighter than it's former self (meaning, the battery pack weights less that the SLA that comes with the the Vector)

How much did it cost to make? alot...

Kenshiro

Enlightened
Don,
The 9000 lumen is not the output. It's the bulb spec.
So, accounting for various losses you get from a flashlight, the output lumens is probably about 6000 or so.

The original design was using a 10000 lumen bulb, but because I was driving it with 21 batteries(instead of 20, which would have been the "correct" voltage), it kept blowing up the bulb.
Let me be a bit more specific.
When I turned on the light straight off the charger, then the 10000 lumen bulb would blow, because of the higher voltage. If I waited until that "initial voltage" settled down, it would be OK. But the 9000 lumen bulb was rugged enough to handle even the initial voltage straight off the charger.
The specs for the bulb are:
1) 24V, 10000 lumens, 50 hour life
2) 24V, 9000 lumens, 300 hour life

So, as you can see the 9000 lumen bulb is the more "heavy duty" one.

IMPORTANT:
The Ken 4 was not meant to be a "useful" light.
It's more of a insane exercise into seeing just how much photon power I could squeeze into a truly portable body. For those of you who have seen the banana vector, you know how small that unit is(relatively speaking), when compared to other "spotlights". It has a 4" reflector, and the body itself is only about 8" long.
For this reason, I nicknamed the light "mental ward". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Therefore, the run time is very short. If I made the light much bigger maybe with a seperate battery pack, then you could get a long time time if you wanted.

Theoretical run time is about 17.5 mins, but realistically somewhere between 10 ~ 15 mins.
But then again, most spotlights only give you a 20 min run time anyway.

Of course you could put any 24V bi-pin bulb into the light and it would work. For instance, you can use a 100W, 24V bulb, which is "only" 2900 lumen spec, and you would get about 45 ~ 50 min run time.

The truly versatile performer is the Ken 2.
The Ken 2 is on par with other HIDs such as the McCulloch.
Mr. Ted Bear, please post the Ken 2 pictures as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Both the Ken 2 and Ken 4 are NOT HIDs. They still use "old" halogen technology. But they are the "best" of the halogens available.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ken! My goodness...

I remember when the Ken 2 was still a new mystery in the subject of spotlights. Now there is a Ken 4 you've been working on! Absolutely amazing work. You've totally upgraded this light to it's max!

I'm just wondering....You're using a spotlight that is using only a 4" reflector. Judging by the pictures Mr. Ted Bear put up, the Ken 4 is obviously brighter, but does not have the same beam angle as the X990. If you were to use a spotlight using the more common 6" reflector, would you have a tighter beam, or an out of focus spot?

I remember we had a discussion a while back about modifying spotlights. I wanted to make my own. You told me the hardest part in modifying or creating a spotlight is choosing the right reflector and then positioning it correctly to get a decent spot.

What are your thoughts on the bigger spotlight reflectors? I have an LSI 1 million candlepower spotlight that i'd be willing to let you experiment with, but would expect returned. It is currently my emergency trunk light, but i find that the Tigerlight makes a better portable emergency light.

Kenshiro

Enlightened
LEDagent,

How've you been?

The reason why I chose that particular body/reflector is because it was the smallest body/reflector with the requirements that I needed.
Namely, a glass lens & aluminum reflector.

Anyway, after I made the Ken 2, I liked the body so much that I tried to see if I could fit a 21 NiMH cells into it.
Well, it turns out it worked. Although I had to "carve out" a lot on the inside. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I tried several different reflectors, and of many variables, three really dictate the performance.
1) Shape
2) Size
3) Reflectivity

Reflectivity is not really an option, but rather, you must stick with what you get(you can't get the same reflector with several different reflectivities).

But you can get different size and shapes.

To answer your question, yes, a bigger reflector will PROBABLY give you a tighter beam. So long as the shape of the two reflectors are the same.

Again, the Ken 4 is simply an exercise into seeing if I could make something that bright but still be quite small.

Maybe I'll try something larger next time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif