A little sorry that I Became A Member Here, but actually not that much really ...

1DaveN

Enlightened
Re: Sorry I Became A Member Here

One thing that would make you happier about runaway flashlight purchases would be to switch your interest to pocket knives. I bought a couple of Benchmades recently, and they cost considerably more than my flashlights :)

The worst part is that the knives are an additional interest, not a replacement. (The sickness started from the same place, though - wanting better quality than I had before).

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast

I blew my wad last year, or so I thought.

After viewing PolarLi's Francis restomod, I decided it was time to look for another project, which I now have. Then a few rather rare lights popped up that I haven't seen offered in years, so they also got purchased.

I can't possibly use all the lights I have, just that I appreciate quality workmanship. All of my purchases are high quality lights, some occasionally seen, others just pop up from time to time. I can't let the once in a life time light go un purchased.

HarleyXJGuy

Newly Enlightened

One thing that would make you happier about runaway flashlight purchases would be to switch your interest to pocket knives. I bought a couple of Benchmades recently, and they cost considerably more than my flashlights :)

The worst part is that the knives are an additional interest, not a replacement. (The sickness started from the same place, though - wanting better quality than I had before).

Coming from Spydercos, SAKs and Multi tools I can already see how this will become an obsession.

Did I say will? I think I meant to say could?

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have noticed there are two classes of flashaholic: the collector and the non-collector. In the case of the former, there is no limit. Surrender, spend, and be happy!

I fit more into the second category. I am a relative newbie, having found CPF and BLF only last Spring. Back then, I was your basic know-nothing, and, for the most part, I still am. Learning about flashlights, batteries, and chargers has been as much fun as actually buying them.

My homework has paid off.

Now, I have a number of decent flashlights, and a few pretty good ones. My purchases have targeted niches, and many of them are filled. The result is that the itch to buy has declined. That's lucky for my PayPal account. I am a lot pickier than I used to be.

Budget has been another limiting factor. I have been constrained to stay with mid-level (and lesser) models. A budget price, however, does not mean an inferior product. I have been very happy with the custom flashlights designed by BLF over the past year. I have the BLF-348, BLF A6, BLF D80, and the BLF Kronos X6/X5, with this latter pair in both aluminum and Cu/SS. Word is that the next BLF project will be a Nichia 219C triple, housed in an X6 host. If that comes to fruition, I will definitely be a buyer.

One surprise for me was to discover how much I like zoomies. Currently, I have the Brinyte B158, with the CPFItailia Cometa already reserved, and the Sunwayman T25C in transit. My single worst flashlight, the GearBest Camo SK-68 clone, is also a zoomie, but, hey, I only paid $1.99 USD for it.

The beams of a zooming flashlight are often laden with artifacts, so they start out with one strike against them. What I love, however, is the wide flood produced by their optics. For close work, and indoor use, I find them to be more useful than flashlights that have a reflector. Since my interest is primarily in the floody beams produced by these flashlights, I am planning to investigate non-zoomies that use an optic instead of a reflector. The Nichia triple mentioned above fits into that category. So does the Olight S1 Copper Rose Gold that I own.

My current focus is on neutral tint and high CRI. I paper-screen on that. In most cases, there is no need for a face-to-face interview with a flashlight that does not have them. As I said before, my itch to spend has been reined in!

This week I deposited funds in PayPal for my next purchase, the ZebraLight H600Fd Mk. III headlamp. When the ZebraLight SC600Fd Mk. III Plus, a 93-95 CRI (Ra) flashlight based on the Cree XHP50 emitter, is released this summer, I plan to be all over it. Those, together with a Nichia triple of some sort, are the only must-haves currently on the horizon for me.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

It will get better, as you reach flashlight critical mass. Or you start skipping meals in order to afford that new light.
Carry on brave soldier!

dmattaponi

Enlightened

I know the feeling...I just bought a 4th Thrunite TN4A...why? I don't know, other than I can't seem to help myself. I also bought two Archer 1Av2 and two T10' for a total 8 lights. I blame this site :)

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast

To no one in particular but everyone in general. If you actually have a buying addiction, seek help. Don't downplay it just because it involves seemingly trivial or novel flashlights.

Ladd

Enlightened

To no one in particular but everyone in general. If you actually have a buying addiction, seek help. Don't downplay it just because it involves seemingly trivial or novel flashlights.

Leroy Jethro Gibbs Rule #28

If you need help just ask.

GaryM

Newly Enlightened

I was at a gun show Saturday. A seller had a table with lights that were low to medium price. Larry lights and other Nebo products. He asked if I was interested in any of his lights. I replied that I had more lights at home than he had on the table. 😂

Caesar Tjalbo

Newly Enlightened

Wait until you get into chargers and batteries/cells.

That's when the fun begins.

Chris
I've used my fine chargers (*) for years only on AAA and AA so It's only reasonable that I'm getting into bigger batteries now.

(*) Nitecore i4 Intelli charger and Opus BT-C3100

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was at a gun show Saturday. A seller had a table with lights that were low to medium price. Larry lights and other Nebo products. He asked if I was interested in any of his lights. I replied that I had more lights at home than he had on the table. 
That's pretty funny lol.

I spend more time researching and discussing lights than I do actually buying lights. I manage to get one or two lights a year but I pick carefully and get lights that will actually serve me a purpose, not just to have sitting around. The only reason I'm sorry I became a member is because I spend almost all of my down time researching lights and I now have a stack of unread gun magazines that dates back to late 2013 lol.

GaryM

Newly Enlightened

The guy seemed surprised. But at least I didn't buy more guns.

NeonPenguin

Newly Enlightened

Like Tac Gunner, I spend more time reading than buying. That said, thanks to several of you guys, I am very happy with what I currently own. My eyes have been opened to NW and VN modded flashlights. Though I only own the former of the 2 I'm working on the latter. Compared to guns, knives and woodworking power tools flashlights are incredibly cheap!! Which just means I can buy more of them...

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

I do a little bushcraft myself. Yup this place can make someone spend extra money. No question about that.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast

I joined last summer and purchased my 1st light online and while it was in the mail to me, I ordered another light. I'm not sure "slippery slope " describes the process. For me it was like walking off a cliff! Here I am, less than a year later, with 11 custom modded lights plus 5 or 6 stock lights. This cliff jump doesn't seem to have a bottom! LOL

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast

I joined last summer and purchased my 1st light online and while it was in the mail to me, I ordered another light. I'm not sure "slippery slope " describes the process. For me it was like walking off a cliff! Here I am, less than a year later, with 11 custom modded lights plus 5 or 6 stock lights. This cliff jump doesn't seem to have a bottom! LOL

Make that winter as it was here in the Southern Hemisphere, flip those numbers ( I have 5 modded Vinh lights and about a dozen stock lights ) and that is me.

The good news is a fall off a cliff never hurt anyone. When you hit the bottom however......