A new photo competition?

SemperFi

Banned
Interesting ...

If only I could take a good picture : :broke:

You can & should try and besides, a "good" picture is judged by those appreciating it and you'll only get to know that it is GOOD when you see the votes on it.... so, my advise is, :poke: don't let it discourage or deter you from participating....

Which is why I stress to emphasize the need to capture AS IS, with what you've got and no cosmetic touch ups applied thereafter. Give it a 2nd thought and DO IT is all that matters for a good fun with the rest here.:party:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can & should try and besides, a "good" picture is judged by those appreciating it and you'll only get to know that it is GOOD when you see the votes on it.... so, my advise is, :poke: don't let it discourage or deter you from participating....

Which is why I stress to emphasize the need to capture AS IS, with what you've got and no cosmetic touch ups applied thereafter. Give it a 2nd thought and DO IT is all that matters for a good fun with the rest here.:party:

Im not afraid , just my digital gear bites hard ..@ They never did make those digital backs for 35mm Cameras ... Like they said they would ... :tinfoil:

I used to do the odd photo comp myself on RFC .. :grin2:

I do like photography , :wave:

Some times : I take a OK picture .

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
A postcard from Sweden. Near Kinnekulle, summer 2009. The specks are swallows hunting insects over the fields. One of my favourites, we'll use it for a wallpaper print (for an entire wall) I think.

P6142018.jpg

DoctaDink

Enlightened
I think basic color changes should be allowed but I agree that manipulation of objects wouldn't be in the spirit of a "photo competition."

It is somewhat murky as to what entails "Manipulation". Many cameras have built in processing (eg: Sharpening, Contrast, Color/B&W, Noise Reduction, etc.). And if one shoots in RAW, then converting the image from RAW provides for a number of options to "manipulate" the image. Regarding post processing, is it manipulation to dodge and burn in the dark room? Using various contrast papers? Vignetting? What if these are done in the computer as opposed to the darkroom? What about double exposures in the camera?or Darkroom, Or multiple "Layers" in the computer?
etc., etc.,...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Which is why I stress to emphasize the need to capture AS IS, with what you've got and no cosmetic touch ups applied thereafter. ...

If that is what is decided, so be it.

Personally, I am enjoying the ability to take a captured image and in post production, enhance that which the camera recorded. I see a difference between enhancing what was recorded as opposed to creating an image that was not present at the time of the shutter release. I consider the software I have to be every bit as valuable and viable as the camera itself and if I am going to try my best to present an image, I would like to use all of the tools at my disposal.

If the intent is to level the playing field then maybe we should go beyond the restrictions on post production and place some controls on the image capture itself? A $200 point and shoot can't fairly compete with a $2000 DSLR with a range of equally expensive lenses?!?!

I took a photography class in college as a fun elective and the professor kept it real simple and focused for us. We all shot B&W film and had to use a slide duplicator to then photograph our B&W negatives for a second generation B&W positive (slide). We submitted and discussed our slides. We all had to buy the slide duplicator as well as film processing kits that allowed us to develop our film anywhere, outside of a dark room. We had black bags and a simple film developing can that we could load in the black bag and then subject it to daylight as we added and removed the various developing chemicals. That really leveled the playing field considerably and kept us from any cropping or dark room touch up. We couldn't do anything about tweaking the exposure on an individual image level, either.

Perhaps this contest could be limited to a specific focal length and all images offered up in gray scale?

Personally, I hope to learn from this competition more than anything else and I would guess I stand the most to learn if everyone is allowed to do the best they can with all that they have to work with. :shrug:

It could be helpful if we are required to explain what we have done, both in terms of equipment used in the capture of the image as well as any post production actions.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I am enjoying the ability to take a captured image and in post production, enhance that which the camera recorded. I see a difference between enhancing what was recorded as opposed to creating an image that was not present at the time of the shutter release. . .

I agree with this....

bretti_kivi

Enlightened
I'd suggest something like this:
- comp runs every two weeks. Deadline is an evening, whichever timezone.
- photos must be taken during comp run time
- Minor editing: levels, sharpness, WB, dust removal: OK. Major editing: clone, object removal, perspective shifts - not OK.
- photoshop work undesired - no "popping"
- points only to be awarded - 10 - 8 - 6 - 4 - 2 - 1 from first to sixth
- for fun and games, approval of your photos by the voting public
- photos should be anonymous
- voting is open for one week on the photos as a (public) poll. At the same time, the next subjects are also polled. Then there's another week to get the shot before it starts from the beginning.
- 800x600 max.

This is something like the way one competition is run I enter into on a regular basis and I find it very nice indeed - it forces me out with the camera.

Whaddya think?

Subjects I could come up with right now: Flower, insect, grey, green, aqua, bridge, building, lines, texture, technology, automobile, alcohol, telephone, cloth, metal... I think you get the point.

Bret

1 what

Enlightened
Hi McGizmo,
I've often "wondered" at/about your fabulous photographs...now I understand. It's like most other things - it sure helps if you know what you're doing.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awarding points? I don't know. How about we let the thread starter come up with his own system / contest haha.

Plus, I'm not that good of a photoshopper but I will say this, when it's done right (and tastefully), no one suspects a thing.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why all the rules? This is a flashilight forum :D

I don't post process much besides what is considered as basic dark room techniques (crop, tweak and adjust levels, color balance, dodge and burn), but at the same time am interested to see what can be done.
It's up to the OP, but why not just chill and have some fun, enjoy the creativity of CPF's diverse membership?

Last edited:

bretti_kivi

Enlightened
those are similar to a competition I enter regularly. Also the discussion of PP above should make it very clear that there is potential for issues.
Why? because
a) there's no favoritism possible in voting
b) you get feedback on the quality of your shots and can begin to see what the public might like
c) you get an incentive to get out and use the camera.

What's the point of being able to rifle through 30k+ pics to find something that suits? Occasionally, the need to have a reason to take time to shoot is quite strong....

Bret