Amazon Prime increase...I'm still in

markr6

Flashaholic
Amazon Prime membership will increase from $79 to $99 this year. Still pretty good and I'll probably renew my membership.

I originally signed up not even knowing about the streaming video! Yes, really. The 2-day shipping was worth it to me. When I found out is was like Netflix too, I was thrilled. Even then, I figured my value was 90% shipping/10% video. But I ended up really taking advantage of the streaming video, almost to the point of not watching cable TV for several days at a time (but nowhere near a substitute for me).

It's been years since I had Netflix. My wife says Netflix has more/better free movies. Would you agree?

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still in. I joined Prime when it first started, long before they started offering many of the "extras" like streaming video. Now I get $99/yr worth of streaming out of them without even considering the savings and convenience with respect to shipping.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Student Prime, $49, I'm happy.

And if you're doing online viewing, just go ahead and pay for the big three; Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon. Hulu has all the nightly/new shows, Netflix has all the movies, and Amazon fills in the gaps.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
I had to get a pretty heavy duty air compressor shipped overnight last year. The cost of overnight shipping for the very heavy machine would have been at least $200 and up to $500 (based on UPS prices). With Amazon Prime it was $3.99.

I figure that the risk of that kind of emergency coming up again is more than enough reason to make it worth keeping the service.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thankfully I was just renewed before the boost, but since signing up for Prime I have bought nearly anything and everything through Amazon. I am sure I make up for the cost of shipping in just a few months of use.

I haven't really gotten to much use out of the streaming but I just downloaded the Amazon video app onto my iPad and will be sure to check it out. My big issue with these free streaming is that the things you really want to watch never seem to be free. I've got two kids and it doesn't seem like they ever have a good selection of things I'd actually approve of my kids watching. I've joined and dropped Netflix streaming a few times because of their lack of good programs. Hopefully Amazon will have something - although I recently got a Slingbox HD and have enjoyed more being able to stream my home cable and DVR when on the go.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
the very heavy machine would have been at least $200 and up to $500 (based on UPS prices). With Amazon Prime it was $3.99.

Speaking as an Amazon employee who handles your orders: It's amazing what people order when the shipping's free - some highlights from this holiday season: Individual dumbbells. Cat litter. A bag of Lay's potato chips. Potting soil. A bottle of ketchup. And yes, people buy cat food; you might remember that old canard from the dawn of online shopping that "people won't buy cat food online," I can objectively confirm that thanks to Amazon Prime, plenty of people do..

I've got two kids and it doesn't seem like they ever have a good selection of things I'd actually approve of my kids watching.

Lots of younger kid stuff over on Hulu and Netflix, and there's no extra charges there.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
but since signing up for Prime I have bought nearly anything and everything through Amazon.

Same here! For me it's simply laziness, convenience, price, and of course it's always fun opening packages even if it's just some boring household item. And I'm always on Amazon to read reviews anyway; I find them VERY useful and honest except for a few stupid reviews where they buyer messed up. Or they just complain about shipping or something totally unrelated to the product itself.

Yesterday: A squeaky floor repair kit (hope it works!) Today: a $2 spark plug gap tool and $11 box of coffee filters for my Chemex. Total randomness.