Amilite is unbelievable

Kiessling

Flashaholic
runtime, heat and the lack of a low-mode.
and it is rather big for what it does.
:nana: :wave:
bernie

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul_in_Maryland said:
The Amilite illustrates why I've taken a hiatus from buying LED lights and now buy only incandescents: LED lights are improving too swiftly to allow me to be content with what I've just bought!

Well said Paul... LED technology is changing at such a rapid pace. I too for personal reasons will hold back from jumping on the band wagon. I focus on incan's anymore, don't have to worry about color tints, donut holes, no surprises. I own a couple of LED Lux's while they can be bright they are quite limiting for my needs anyway.

Dave

Last edited:

Kalle

Newly Enlightened
@David: Thats it! For this size and only one CR123A you get 34.0 "Throw-Points" and 35.0 "Overall-output-Points" - thats great!
Ok a HDS Ultimate 60 is brighter but it costs several times more...

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok... I will be getting one soon I hope.

-David

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
About time someone made an updated version of the Arc LS, this looks good, might hae to go get myself one...

The price however is a little high, since we can get a fully regulated HDS B42 for a little more when you consider shipping(80+ versus 120+) andyou get four levels of light, same output on high but longer regulation.

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Honestly ... the more I think about it, the more I think it really is too big for what it offers. If it is an "updated ArcLS" ... why doesn't it offer the same form factor? And remember that the ArcLS could have been even smaller ...
The increase in size makes it too big for the keychain, and in the "pocket light" class there are better options.
It is very beautifull and aesthetically pleasing and seemingly a very good quality, but raw brightness isn't everything, at least not for me. And I am not kidding.
Sorry to spoil the fun :p ... but I can't help and must share my thoughts.
bernie

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is smaller than arc Ls. And it has WAY more power, and it comes with a reflector as opposed to the dreadful carlco optics.

-David

onthebeam

Enlightened
attowatt said:
Group buy please...
Can Anyone start a group buy please, so I can buy 2 of these??

:anyone:

Jim

Yes, we have started a group buy. Just go to the group buy section. Be sure to read post number 1.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Here's a size comparison I stoel from rugbymatt ... which shows that the AMilite is bigger than the ArcLS (comparable twisty version):

Amilitesizebyrugbymatt.jpg

Sure, it has more power. But it also has less runtime and more heat. A matter of choice, nothing really new.
The ArcLS used the NX05 optics, and this was years ago. I don't say the ArcLS is a better ligth as it isn't ... it's old tech. But the Arc shows some qualities the Amilite cannot show and clearly demonstrates that there really isn't anything new at work here.
Which doesn't say the Amilite is a bad light at all as I think Quickbeam made it sufficiently clear that it is a good light. I just don't like it when a standard light is treated like a revolutionary step forward.
bernie

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, the amilite is smaller than the arc in the picture.

-David

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I am talking of the ArcLS twisty original version ... imagine the ArcLS without the rubber dome and you have roughly the size of the light I am talking about. Which is smaller than the Amilite.
bernie

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
true... but half the output, and half the throw. Today, the Amilite just plain out-does the Arc.

-David

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have to agree with Cheapo, Amilite has reflector, glass lens, and more current to the LED which is what the Arc LS needed to be perfect (and which many people paid extra to add later).

What Amilite needs to be perfect is ability to hold and run off rechargeables, including the larger protected RCR123's.

paulr

Flashaholic
Thanks for that pic--have I identified the lights correctly? What is the 2nd one?

amilitesizebyrugbymatt0ye.jpg