Any HDS Twisty News?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
I am also one who is anxiously awaiting the TW. I have pre-ordered and can only hope that I am in the first production run. This looks like a truly high quality light and I really don't mind waiting to make sure it's done right.

After all, there are plenty of less expensive new lights to keep my habit satisfied, and wallet emptied, while I wait. [My wife hates the fact that I found this site!]

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
PaulR,

Expect to see an official announcement for a 18670 and a 2xAA battery tube shortly after the Twisty begins shipping.

Adamlau,

I don't understand your question. What case and extra cells are you referring to? If you are referring to a bundle being offered by one of our dealers, you will probably need to ask the dealer directly.

Turd_Fergeson,

One of the design goals is to allow the user to use either bezel up or bezel down carry positions. With equal ease. We will let everyone know when we have finalized the design.

And you are welcome. We enjoy building great flashlights.

Henry.

Wasn't this same promise made on the 1st round of HDS lights? I don't recall a 2xAA tube ever making it into production.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I guess that's my point. Why should we believe that these tubes are going to make it this time?

As much as I like Henry and love his lights. I'm with you on this one. The track record for HDS for following through with things is pretty smeared. There's a lot of fan boys out there (I'm one I'll admit) but to reach a larger crowd Henry and HDS is going to have to push hard to get the product to market, provide the support for the product and follow through with the accessories for the product.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
One must admit that Henry has a habit of dumping and running.
this has happened with the arc 4, hds edc series and the novatac. every time Henry comes out with a light in the end the "ownership" of the service on that light seems to change. I know that he has recently "taken back" the service of hds lights from Novatac...But the fact that it went away in the first place is a little off putting. Whats to say that Henry will not do the same thing again?

Look I am an owner of several arc 4's 4 or 5 edc's, a novatac. There is no doubt that Henry can design a cool flashlight. It is the way he does business that I worry about.
I really don't like the idea that I may end up out in the cold ...AGAIN.
End users should never have to deal with this kind of stuff.
If you buy a surefire surefire takes care of it. If you buy an ARC AAA ARC takes care of it. (but not older arc Ls's and arc 4 (but I believe they can be returned for a credit or something...
Why all the nonsense?
I like the idea of a HDS twisty. I don't like the looks of the thing IMHO it is pretty ugly. Looks aren't everything but Henry has chosen to detune the light to work at lower levels than most current offerings..I know why I have read the posts...Whatever the runtime vs power issue there are times when runtime just doesn't matter but brightness does.
Anyway the test is detuned ugly and most likely a very heavy light.

I know there are pluses on the other side and the build quality and absolute bombproofing are among them. That is all well and good but it doesn't make it a great all around edc type of light.
As mentioned other battery cases were promised ...How many of you passed over $100 for a 18650 pak? IMHO that is completely outrageous.
Lighthound is selling 17670 / 2 cell paks for $40 or $50, Much more reasonable. But why were these parts with held from the market for so long? To create an artificial shortage...to keep the 18650 at a premium?
Hell I don't know I doesn't matter anyway.
You just need to look at the pattern of how Henry has operated in the past. Personally I will be very cautious when considering a decision to buy Henry's latest offering. Maybe he will have a realistic schedule for selling the accessories so they will find their way into the hands of hds owners weeks or so after the initial sale of the light instead of having to wait a year or two to buy it from sighthound.

I hope this light turns out to be a real winner. I hope Henry makes enough dough to keep the doors open long enough to maintain service of the light for many years to come. I hope the accessory battery tubes come out (BTW IMHO a AA tube makes this light way too long and throws the balance off Just because you may be able to use AA cells doesn't make this a great light IMHO) Heck a 17670 tube is too long making the older HDS lights unwieldy.

The next few weeks will be very telling (how behind schedule is this project already?)
When this light becomes available I suspect that there will be many who are very excited and a few who aren't.
I will be watching and waiting for these to start showing up on the secondary market before making a decision.
Lets hope this is the most amazing HDS light ever made.
Yaesumofo

As much as I like Henry and love his lights. I'm with you on this one. The track record for HDS for following through with things is pretty smeared. There's a lot of fan boys out there (I'm one I'll admit) but to reach a larger crowd Henry and HDS is going to have to push hard to get the product to market, provide the support for the product and follow through with the accessories for the product.

kromeke

Enlightened
Henry didn't run Arc Flashlight LLC. (The first Arc flashlight)

That was Peter's company.

Who is at fault might depend on who you talk to.

IIRC, Peter violated a NDA. Henry pulled out. This is what contracts and lawyers are for.

Don't fault HDS for Arc's shortcomings.

JohnTz

Enlightened
I talked with Henry today. He stated that due to some other delays (again his suppliers) and barring any production and assembly issues, we will have to wait till end of Feb and most likely March before the lights ship. The clip option will be "at least 6 months after that".

I am still waiting patiently. I sold my other led light (surefire) at the end of last year so I can afford the twisty. Now all I have is a min-mag in the meantime :eek:.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Take it for what it's worth guys, but I've always considered HDS a fly-by-night type company. Here for the quick buck, gone before you know it. These light may come out eventually, maybe not, something will happen and HDS will go away and Henry will surface again somewhere else. This is my opinion, so please treat it as such.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the first HDS EDC was in the pipeline way back when, I recall very well numerous release dates being missed. We were all anxious to get the new light, and PO-ed every time a date was missed. I was one of the biggest crybabies.

But the light was eventually released, and it was dang good. And still is. The old light is behind the curve now that emitters have evolved, but there is no denying that Henry knows how to build an awesome light. Compact, feature-packed, good UI, and built so well you could literally throw it against a concrete wall.

The current twisty is not for me, but if something along the lines of the old HDS light with a new emitter hits the market, I'll be there.

paulr

Flashaholic
Take it for what it's worth guys, but I've always considered HDS a fly-by-night type company. Here for the quick buck, gone before you know it. These light may come out eventually, maybe not, something will happen and HDS will go away and Henry will surface again somewhere else. This is my opinion, so please treat it as such.

Erm, HDS's priorities in flashlight design may be not be in the middle of CPF's beaten path, but the he's been making lights for than almost any of the other high-end flashlight companies that we could name. His first headlamp was in 1979 and I think not even Surefire was around then.

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Valpo_Hawkeye,

This week we received many more major parts. We are expecting the last batch next week when we return from SHOT. Sorry, I can only schedule vendors so far and then they do what they need to. If it takes a little longer to get good parts, then I am willing to wait. I anticipate shipping roughly two weeks after the last part shows up. But as I have said before, if I encounter a problem, I'll stop the production line and fix it rather than ship junk.

I expect to have high volume production within a few weeks of the first shipment so I anticipate getting through the back orders very quickly.

We have started assembling subsystems and I have to say that these lights assemble far better than any previous flashlights we have made.

Henry.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
RaLights Henry??? :candle:

Are you planning to drop the HDS name all together?

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this mean the Twisty will have "Ra" markings when it ships, instead of HDS?

Regards,
Tempest

Status
Not open for further replies.