Any HDS Twisty News?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I saw in one of the HDS threads a reference to some kind of "advanced" HDS model with more modes (or maybe user-controlled modes). But I couldn't find where these references were coming from--it seemed as if there had been a discussion of this more advanced HDS somewhere other than in CPF, or at least somewhere I couldn't track down.

Has anyone else come across any of this? Is there a more advanced version of HDS in the works?

Also, does anyone know the lumen output of the red LED (in those HDS's that have the red LED instead of the low-white LED output option)? I saw again some ref. that it wouldn't be a 5mm Nichia red LED, but that's all I know.

RainerWahnsinn

Enlightened
Also, does anyone know the lumen output of the red LED (in those HDS's that have the red LED instead of the low-white LED output option)? I saw again some ref. that it wouldn't be a 5mm Nichia red LED, but that's all I know.

May be that gives you an Idea what kind of red LED it is. Hope, that helps.

Rainer

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing I am finding myself wishing is that the middle level of output was something higher. Somewhere in the area of 40-60 lumens. I am finding I just dont find much use for 15-17 lumens . 40-60 lumens is coming to be a very useful amount of light and then having the 100 for short term super brightness is great...
Due to the eye's logarithmic sensitivity, there's little visual difference between 60 lumens and 100.

This is the same trap many manufacturers fall into, and set brightness levels based on a paper number, not on visual appearance. You often end up with several brightness levels so similar it's hard to immediately tell the difference.

Fortunately HDS has resisted this and is setting their brightness levels based on visual response, not based on a number.

I agree a programmable light (HDS U60, Novatac 120P, etc) is great and allows individual fine-tuning. However for three fixed levels I think we'll find what HDS selected for the Twisty will work very well.

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
A couple of our vendors have experienced delays in delivering parts. The end of year is very busy for them and when you add roughly 3 weeks of the holidays in a two month period, delays just get longer. The tardy vendors are now saying they will deliver in the middle of January. It will take us about two weeks after the parts deliveries to begin shipping flashlights. We appreciate your patience while we get the first light out the door. Quality is our primary concern.

Henry.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of our vendors have experienced delays in delivering parts. The end of year is very busy for them and when you add roughly 3 weeks of the holidays in a two month period, delays just get longer. The tardy vendors are now saying they will deliver in the middle of January. It will take us about two weeks after the parts deliveries to begin shipping flashlights. We appreciate your patience while we get the first light out the door. Quality is our primary concern.

Henry.

Thanks for the update Henry. I personally don't mind the wait since it will allow me to pay off some of my Christmas bills first. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

luminata

Enlightened
UGH!!! Thats like another 6 weeks out total

Well, no promises were made and for good reason. Completely out of HDS control.

I might pull back on the pre-order myself and see what happens in the flashlight world for the beginning of '08 since it seems as if there may be a number of remarkable new entries into the flashlight world coming in January and my funds are limited for this sort of thing.

Last edited:

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
While this information isn't putting me in my happy place, it's completely understandable. Though I don't know Henry personally, his products and dealings have always been way above board. I don't mind waiting (even though I have the mentality of a 6-year old when it comes to waiting for new toys) in order to get a quality product.

Additionally, I wouldn't dream of withdrawing my pre-order because, despite potential new offerings from other manufacturers, I don't believe any of them could meet the unique properties of this light. IMO, this will likely be the ultimate survival light. Small enough to always be with you, simple and reliable interface and (presumably) as tough as they come.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
We appreciate your patience while we get the first light out the door. Quality is our primary concern.

Henry.

Bravo. I've been waiting since August and I'm happy continuing doing so to get a better product. This isn't jewelry and won't be treated like it. Thanks for the update!

jacklovell

Newly Enlightened
What a Christmas... I have just lost my HDS EDC Ultimate.
I am thinking of replacing it with the anticipated Twisty but I still have a 2x123 battery extension tube that I bought for the Ultimate.
Does anyone think that this might fit the Twisty?

Jack

Hans

Enlightened
I am thinking of replacing it with the anticipated Twisty but I still have a 2x123 battery extension tube that I bought for the Ultimate.

It won't fit, at least not far as I know. I remember Henry mentioned somewhere that he changed the treads on the new lights to make them even more robust.

A shame about your light ... are you sure it won't turn up somewhere? I thought I had lost one of my HDS a couple of months ago. I found it a few weeks later in my brother's car. That car is like a black hole, only that sometimes it tends to spit out things it has swallowed ... :D

Hans

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
What a Christmas... I have just lost my HDS EDC Ultimate.

Jack

Sorry but, no. If you read about the Twisty, there is specific mention of a different and much stronger thread type. There is a rumor of eventual new battery tube options being sold. Maybe, someone will buy your 2 X 123 tube from you for a good price?

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
I emailed batttery station on the 5th about my 100TW preorder. They said;

"I just received new info from HDS. The 100TW's are expected within a week or two. The 70 lumen models, however, have been delayed a little longer for circuit board tweeking."

Glad I ordered the 100!
Oh bu**er. I just ordered a 70R (red). This was because I've got plenty of other lights with lots of lumens (e.g. Fenix T1) and realised that I rarely use the max output in normal situations. For camping, the red option is ideal.
Still, when it arrives, at least I know the circuit board will have received special attention {:-}

txmatt

Enlightened
I know we're still waiting for the release of the lights, but when might we expect the optional 2xAA battery tube. For some reason I recall mention of the AA tube being something that might not be available for some time after the light became available, but maybe that was just an assumption/interpretation I made. Anyone know? The AA compatibility is really the most appealing part of the Twisty to me, so I'll likely hold off until those tubes are available.

rigormootis

Newly Enlightened
I know we're still waiting for the release of the lights, but when might we expect the optional 2xAA battery tube. For some reason I recall mention of the AA tube being something that might not be available for some time after the light became available, but maybe that was just an assumption/interpretation I made. Anyone know? The AA compatibility is really the most appealing part of the Twisty to me, so I'll likely hold off until those tubes are available.

+1 to all of that!!!

Last edited:

Hans

Enlightened
What kind of LED does the 100-TW use? The specs here http://www.hdslights.com/Twisty.html say the LED is NOT ultra-reliable on the 100, but is reliable on the 70...

Henry doesn't say which LEDs he uses. No doubt some people will be able to tell once the lights are out. But it doesn't really matter. I still remember the discussions when the "old" HDS came out with people arguing for weeks about the binning of the LuxIII he used. It also didn't matter - all his lights performed to specifications, and that's the main point.

As to the reliability: Henry has always been very, very cautious in what he says about his lights. When he claims the LED in one of his lights is ultra-reliable that means just that. In other words, it's ultra-reliable even by his own, very high standards, and he intends these lights to be extremely rugged. The LED that isn't ultra-reliable, well, I reckon that's going to be a "normal" Cree or whatever LED he uses.

Hans

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a feeling that these lights are going to surprise quite a few people when they are shipped. They have all the makings of a classic! They are now showing up in my dreams.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
I would like to get one. Sure hope I can save up enough for one right when they come out..

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henry mentioned that he hopes to receive the parts from the machine shop in mid-January. I wonder if they've come in yet? If they have, and all goes well, it's only 2-3 more weeks! :twothumbs

txmatt

Enlightened
Waiting eagerly as well. Don't "need" this light yet, but am going camping in late April and would love to snag one with 2xAA tube before that trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.