Any HDS Twisty News?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
All,

The machine shop has finished the bodies and they are going out for anodize. I expect those parts to be delivered just in time for SHOT. There are a couple of other parts that may arrive during or just after SHOT. The new manufacturing process is so much better than the last one that the final steps will go very fast. Can shipments be far behind?

For those old customers who have EDC Ultimate and EDC Basic flashlights, we have received many reports recently that the warranties were not being honored. We don't want to see you, our customers, treated this way. Therefore, effective immediately, HDS Systems will honor those warranties even though we no longer own the EDC product line. Please see the thread "EDC Ultimate and EDC Basic warranties" in the CPF Marketplace under Manufacturers Corner for full details. We apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused you.

Henry.

dulridge

Enlightened
All,
For those old customers who have EDC Ultimate and EDC Basic flashlights, we have received many reports recently that the warranties were not being honored. We don't want to see you, our customers, treated this way. Therefore, effective immediately, HDS Systems will honor those warranties even though we no longer own the EDC product line. Please see the thread "EDC Ultimate and EDC Basic warranties" in the CPF Marketplace under Manufacturers Corner for full details. We apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused you.

The HDS lights are not ones that would normally enter my reckoning, but this paragraph certainly puts them there - many, many cheers to HDS! :twothumbs

gunga

Flashaholic
I wasn't sure about getting an HDS, but after that statement about warranty, I think I may have to get one.

I think Surefires are cool, with basic electronics. I think HDS is cool, with awesome electronics. I'm a techie so guess which one I choose?

Can't wait...

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of all the flashlights I own, I'd bet the EDC 60 is the least likely to ever need a warranty.

I just put a dead CR 123A in the Novatac 120T (that I really like) and it couldn't "get it up." I put that battery in the EDC 60 and it manages to squeeze maybe 5 lumens out of it.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the update, Henry :popcorn: Not too long to go.

Good news about the EDC warranty.

Regards,
Tempest

antiplex

Newly Enlightened
i'm also very excited to see first reviews plus additional pics of the new twisty and consider getting a 70r. just wish there will be an option for a 2xAA or 3xAAA tube since i want to be able to be idependent of battery supplies (by the use of eneloop accus in combination with a solar charger) for a unforseeable time.
i'm sure henry will come up with an outstanding piece with the twisty. thanks! :thumbsup:

Turd_Fergeson

Newly Enlightened
Is there any chance for a pocket clip on the twisty in the near future? I love my EDC Ultimate and carry it everywhere I go, however, only because it has a pocket clip. Without a pocket clip I don't know what to do with this light.

paulr

Flashaholic
Another vote for 2AA. I don't understand why anyone would want 3AAA. I hope some future model can support 1AA.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can the Twisty be purchased on its own, w/o the case and extra cells? Lowering the price in such a manner would garner them at least one more sale from me :twothumbs .

Turd_Fergeson

Newly Enlightened
Henry,

Thanks for the reply and update. I wait anxiously for your pocket clip solution as I will be waiting eagerly to purchase a twisty of my own.

I just ordered an ARC4+ clip for my Ulitimate ( http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2364 )and should get that early next week. I can give some feedback if anyone is interested.

A lens down option would be nice, since I find that mine catches a lot of debris (dust, lint, etc) in my pocket.

Just wanted to say thanks for building such awesome products. My ultimate has been dropped, kicked, submereged, and run for hours on end. I've wore out a lithium rechargeable after probably a hundred reacharges, and my ultimate shows no sign of faltering

Looking at the engineering thought and care in the twisty makes me want one now! Let me know about that pocket clip!

Thanks, and please keep up the excellent work!

Ed

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
PaulR,

Expect to see an official announcement for a 18670 and a 2xAA battery tube shortly after the Twisty begins shipping.

Adamlau,

I don't understand your question. What case and extra cells are you referring to? If you are referring to a bundle being offered by one of our dealers, you will probably need to ask the dealer directly.

Turd_Fergeson,

One of the design goals is to allow the user to use either bezel up or bezel down carry positions. With equal ease. We will let everyone know when we have finalized the design.

And you are welcome. We enjoy building great flashlights.

Henry.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx for the awesome answers! The Twisty sounds like its gonna have loads of accesories for it!:twothumbs I see all these older HDS/Arc/ users with a small collection of legos, its making me jealous!;) I can only hope the Twisty will also become a classic.

Mayo

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I'm in a bit of a torch lull at the moment where absolutely nothing is interesting to me, with the exception of my pre-ordered 70r. I've owned lots of torches but the HDS (and offspring) pretty much renders the rest irrelevant.

Henry, will you ever make a 1xAA twistie? That would cure my torch addiction once and for all!

paulr

Flashaholic
Henry, excellent about the 2aa tube, thanks. I actually understand 3aaa a little betternow. By having three aaa's in a triangular pack you get a short light of similar thickness to the Twisty and therefore it makes sense. It turned me off at first because I think of that formation in terms of cheap Chinese 5mm lights where they didn't want to spend an extra few cents on dc-dc conversion to run on 1aa. But on a good light with a buck-boost converter, 3 aaa nimh cells actually sounds attractive. Total energy in three aaa's is a bit less than two aa's while the cell weight is a little higher, but dc-dc conversion efficiency might be a bit better (because of the higher input voltage) giving comparable runtime, and the total weight (light plus cells) might be about the same, because the 3aaa battery tube would be smaller and weigh less. And battery expenditure isn't such an issue because the cells are rechargeable.

So if you did a 3aaa pack I'd be interested. I'm also reminded of the 4aaa Elektrolumens "Little Friend" from a while back.

I am paranoid towards lithium ion cells and I don't want to deal with yet another charging system (I want to use nimh aa's and aaa's for everything), so I'm not interested in the 18650 pack myself, but that's just me. I know there's demand for it.

rigormootis

Newly Enlightened
PaulR,

Expect to see an official announcement for a 18670 and a 2xAA battery tube shortly after the Twisty begins shipping.

- Henry.

Outstanding news!!! This leaves me with just one more question:

Might you consider offering these with "just" a 2AA tube (e.g., a Twisty-AA)???

I might very well pull the trigger on one of these as-is, but the (1) C123A tube would only collect dust after I got my hands on a 2AA tube.
Thanks.

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
GadgetNerd,

A single AA twisty would need to be designed from the ground up for that configuration. Perhaps a future product.

Rigormootis,

We will consider the Twisty-AA option. But for the moment, the AA tubes will be accessories.

Henry.

Status
Not open for further replies.