Anybody else here suffer(ed) from panic attacks?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
After many years of being largely controllable, my panic attacks / general anxiety has come roaring back unabated, bad enough to cause me to seek treatment. My problem is I'm having trouble getting on a good anti-depressant drug. The SSRI's (Celexa and Zoloft) make me hyper and racy for a few hours and then leave me feeling more susceptible to a panic attack while another one I tried, Remeron, knocked me out and left me so much like a zombie the next day, I had to take the day off from work. I read on the depression forums that sometimes it takes awhile to get over the nasty side effects of the antidepressants before the beneficial aspects kick in. I am thinking I may have to take time off from work to try to get on one of these but boy I'll go thru he double toothpicks in the process.

Just wondered if anybody else has this curse and what was/is your strategy for dealing with them. I believe it is genetic and a chemical imbalance of some sort as my sister has suffered from them too. I keep hoping they'll abate and although some days are better then others (particularly in the middle of the day), this latest bout has been with me since Christmas and I've tried to do the right things like eat relatively healthy and not drink any alcohol.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Not really, but if and whenever it occurs, I just ride the "wave" till I hit the "shores"--as it were. :)

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Has anything in your life changed in the last few months? Perhaps even minor changes which you might not have noticed? Usually these things are a reaction to present-day events which trigger memories of very unpleasant events from your past. Drugs may relieve some of the symptoms but not the cause. Unfortunately, finding the cause in many cases is a time-consuming, hit-or-miss proposition.

A radical change in diet may trigger general feelings of anxiety as well. I tend to think drinking small amounts of alcohol, as opposed to refraining from it completely, might be as beneficial as any drug without the long term effects. Also, what have you been doing as far as exercise? Exercise has been shown to have many beneficial effects for both physical and mental well-being. I credit cycling and walking with literally saving my life following a series of events which led to attempted suicide. I remained depressed for a long time afterwards, but the exercise allowed me to cope without drugs or any other form of treatment. The mental health profession still is in its infancy. The usual "try different drugs until you find something which works" is not what I consider a satisfactory answer. My recommendation-try exercise. A lot of exercise. Cycle or walk at least an hour five or more times a week. Do more if you can. When things were at their worst I was on the bike 15 hours a week, and I walked another 10 hours a week. It sounds like your antidepressants may be at fault, so you might try to find a non-pharmaceutical way to cope with depression. Exercise is one way.

Sleep is a third possibility. Are you getting an adequate amount of rest such that you can get through your day? Or do you feel spent? Sleep deprivation has been shown to cause all kinds of psychoses, including anxiety attacks. At one time when I was about 60 hours without sleep I was actually starting to talk to people who weren't there, at least according to my roommate. Ten hours after that I thought I was in a desert instead of my dorm room. Granted, lack of food probably contributed also (I had lost 20 pounds that first semester in college). 12 hours sleep fixed all that. Lesser amounts of sleep deprivation have caused me feelings of general anxiety.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably not a single event leading up to it but I was very destructive to my health thru this past fall. I was working a lot, drinking fairly heavily, not exercising and a very poor diet. Put on about 15 lbs from the summer low.

It's probably not a good idea for me to drink any alcohol at this time. Although I can forcefully control myself, when I start to drink, I tend to want to continue and that wouldn't be good right now. Exercise has been difficult for me to do as well. I don't always have a panic attack but I am riddled with anxiety a lot. I liken the feeling to one you might get if you are about to get in a fight with the school yard bully and you were pretty sure he was going to clean your clock.

I'm going to continue to seek more professional help and hopefully will get thru this but sure have had some horrible times. As a side benefit I have unintentionally lost the 15 lbs. I put on.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Should they be treating panic attacks with anti-depressants? I'm not a doctor (I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express) but the only person I know who gets these treats them with a small dose of xanex (barbituate).

:sick:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had anxiety/panic for about 10 years or so. The SSRI's did not work for me really at all. I tried several and none worked or the side effects were too much too handle. The drug that helped me the most was Xanax (Alprazolam). You have to be careful on the dose especially if driving or using equipment. I used to take .5mg 3 times a day, now I'm down to 1 or sometimes none. I would highly recommend exercise, this is the best option IMO. It will adjust your brain chemistry better than most anything else. Avoid caffeine completely, I am very sensitive to it. Avoid all artificial sweeteners too. If you go off the alcohol do it slowly, I had more trouble with the caffeine in the pop than with the alcohol. A couple more things I can suggest. They may sound bizarre but can help you cope and they don't cost much if anything. Try humming a tune, blow the air out through your nose. You can also try an ice pack on the back of your neck. Bragg amino's helped me alot, can order online or health food section. My attacks were like imminent doom, everything gets real quiet and I swear my heart had stopped beating and I would get lightheaded and want to faint. I could not turn them off. So trust me I know how you are feeling and I know its very disabling. Counseling may help too, try to look for triggers to your anxiety. This is a tough fight and I feel for you GP, don't give up. Also prayer is very helpful as well. The Almighty is the best listener/healer I know. I wish you the best sir. :wave:

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
Hope this helps....
I spent the first thirty years of my life suffering from excessive worry, constant anxiety, irrational fears and panic attacks. When my wife become very ill with a rare disease, I was an absolute basket case. My dad came to town to give me hand while she was in the hospital. He told me that I did not have to suffer through life like I had been and that I should talk to my doctor.
In my case, Zoloft has changed my life. You mentioned that it makes you jittery etc. My suggestion is to make sure your doc has tried different dosage levels etc, until you get it right. There is no doubt in my mind that anxiety is a chemical illness and medication makes a difference. As for diet and excercise...better get those straightened out too. Both can have a negative affect on the body and subsequently the mind. As for excercise, it does not have to be all that much to make a big impact. Take a walk for 10-15 mins at lunch time and again after dinner if you can. Walking increases the chemicals in the brain that keep us sane, trust me it helps.
While I am not a doctor and am not prescribing any treatment for you whatsoever, I do hold an MA in Psychology and have suffered as you do so I have a very good understanding of your circumstance.

Best of luck!

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should they be treating panic attacks with anti-depressants? I'm not a doctor (I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express) but the only person I know who gets these treats them with a small dose of xanex (barbituate).

:sick:
It's funny you should ask that question, I wondered the same thing myself. However the MD's (medical diety) seemed insulted that I would dare to ask the question. So I had to become more proactive in helping myself because Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, etc were what they wanted me to stay on. Serotonin levels in the brain are a VERY touchy matter. You can go Loco on this stuff and I didn't want to take that chance. Xanax has it's risks too but they are much less than SSRI's IMO. :confused:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is personal for me, but I have PTSD from being abused by my brother as a child. I suffer from panic attacks every hour of my life, and depending on my mood it's anywhere from medium to incredible discomfort (very rarely it's mild). I also get very disturbing imagery in my head (intrusive thoughts). Oftentimes I find myself not breathing when this happens (or breathing very infrequently), and I take a deep breath of air to remind myself it's just a panic attack.

My panic attacks come at the worst times. I'm a naturally shy person, and there are times when I get incredibly nervous when approached by certain people. My panic attack kicks in, and trying to anticipate it is like taking on a freight train head on.

Like I said I deal with it by taking in a deep breath of fresh air, hold it for 5-10 seconds to let my lungs absorb the oxygen into my bloodstream, and my brain functions a little better after that. I also tell myself "it's just a false message/intrusive thought, everything's going to be ok, relax". Pleasant thoughts also help to relax.

I used to take Paxil and Klonopin, but after a while I didn't improve much. I then went on Prozac w/Klonopin, and this combo worked the best for me. After a while I stopped taking meds, I didn't feel comfortable with the fact that these medications were the only things that kept me stable. This on top of the fact I could no longer afford medical insurance.

I've led a tragic short life, and this has a lot to do with my anxiety as well. Genetics is a player, but upbringing might also be a factor for you, I don't know. This is definitely the case for me.

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the responses and I'm truly sorry for others who have had discomfort as well. I do understand it's personal for many but I do my best to think of it as a chemical imbalance/deficiency and not a personal weakness (not always easy to do).

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lexapro has worked for me. Many of the modern AD's also help with anxiety and not just depression. I save the Xanax and Ativan for the bad panic attacks.
I believe I remember that Zoloft was advertised for people with "social" problems and they were referring to panic situations as well as depression.

Best to you Geepondy and I hope you get a handle on your present situation.

buihia

Newly Enlightened
hi geepondy..

sorry to hear about your problem.. i too suffered from panic attacks in the past, and once in a blue moon now.. they just come and knock u into shivers and cold sweats.

i was in depression/anxiety disorder for 2-3 years and was on various type of drugs but finally settled on prozac and xanax.. according to my doctor, xanax has the fastest "kick in" effect within maximum 15 mins after you consume it..

there are a few types of panic attacks, like anticipatory panic attack, etc..

panic attacks can be reduced to the lowest by medicine/professional help, pls seek a professional advice on this.. as not seeking help will deteriorate your situation further..

hope to hear about your progress soon pal :)

Citivolus

Enlightened
geepondy,

I started suffering from panic attacks back in late 2001. I was living in California at the time, and had a long commute to work. Events and scenarios would play out in my head, and I would lose it. I'm certain others can think of what those events were based on given the above date, but here is a bit more detail of what added to the situation. Shortly after certain events in the Eastern USA, we had a natural gas leak and explosion in my apartment building. We were home at the time, and explosion blew our front door in. Other apartments were not so lucky, but at least nobody was seriously injured. Given certain events which had only recently occurred, all kinds of things were going through my head when it happened. The explosion still replays in my head daily, over 6 years later.

It culminated with a fear of enclosed spaces in situations where I was not in control. Riding the subway was no longer possible. Even commuting to work in a car became a nightmare, as I felt trapped when I would get stuck in traffic. I was commuting from the east SF Bay area to San Francisco, which necessitated crossing certain notable bridges and freeway interchanges. This was not a positive environment for my imagination. I needed open spaces and solid ground under my feed, to be outdoors. I had to be in control.

I've never been on medication for it, and only recently started talking to my doctor about it. I've had many miserable years as a result, with my wife not being able to comprehend what I was going through.

My way of dealing with the problem was by moving to a semi-rural region in Australia, where I'm not constantly watching my back and worrying about my personal security. Unfortunately I still have relapses when I get put back into my trigger situations, and I am unable to work in a city centre as a result. I still have a long way to go...

Both of my sisters and my mother are on antidepressants. I've seen how little they do for them and how dependant they have become, so I've tried to avoid it. I wish there were easy answers.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
In reading thru the depression forums, it seems that amongst the horror stories, anti-depressants seem to help more then harm. I wonder if I should give the Celexa another shot. I started out at the minimum dosage (10mg) but it made me very racy and hyper for a few hours and then in a weakened emotional state afterwards that made me more panic attack prone not less. I made it thru one day at work in that state, I would not repeat it. When I cut the pill in half still, the negative sensations were less although I wouldn't say they were halved. Maybe I should cut it in little tiny pieces, say a quarter of a tab (getting hard to do, these are small) and try to start off on that level and really gradually work my way up. I'm really envious of two people I know that got on Celexa like it was eating candy. I have thought about trying Wellbutrin but I read it has a nastier anxiety side effect then the SSRI's.

Yes the Benzo's can be godsends (in my case Klonopin) but I too try to save it for the worst nights as I read how easy it is to get addicted to them. They make for a wonderful sleep aid and I could easily take one every night but thus far I haven't. If I only had the occasional panic attack then I would just use the Klonopin and not seek other alternatives but it's the anxiety and tension that get me. It can and does grip me at anytime (mostly mornings, late afternoons and evenings) without any provocation or thought process on my own and it can be pretty relentless. It would remind you of a feeling you might get if you were about to get in a fight with the school yard bully and you felt pretty certain he was going to clean your clock.

Hope this helps....
I spent the first thirty years of my life suffering from excessive worry, constant anxiety, irrational fears and panic attacks. When my wife become very ill with a rare disease, I was an absolute basket case. My dad came to town to give me hand while she was in the hospital. He told me that I did not have to suffer through life like I had been and that I should talk to my doctor.
In my case, Zoloft has changed my life. You mentioned that it makes you jittery etc. My suggestion is to make sure your doc has tried different dosage levels etc, until you get it right. There is no doubt in my mind that anxiety is a chemical illness and medication makes a difference. As for diet and excercise...better get those straightened out too. Both can have a negative affect on the body and subsequently the mind. As for excercise, it does not have to be all that much to make a big impact. Take a walk for 10-15 mins at lunch time and again after dinner if you can. Walking increases the chemicals in the brain that keep us sane, trust me it helps.
While I am not a doctor and am not prescribing any treatment for you whatsoever, I do hold an MA in Psychology and have suffered as you do so I have a very good understanding of your circumstance.

Best of luck!

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
propanalol. check it out.

an adrenalin antagonist, it will completely eliminate that 'bully fear' --

actors have used it for stage fright for decades.

normally safe as milk and side effect free, now available in a 24 hour release form as "Toporal"

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost the other night, but I managed to get the 1040 out the door. Feel a lot better now. My own fault for not starting earlier ;)

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
geepondy,

First let me say I am not a doctor. However, I do have a little knowledge on the subject.

It sounds like you have tried a couple of different drugs with little help. Xanax (Alprazolam), used to be the drug of choice for mild and severe anxiety. It does have side effects and must be removed from your system slowly. The tricyclic anti-depressants used to be effective but I believe they have been replaced with drugs like Zoloft and I don't even know if there still used. Don't give up. The great news is it is treatable. Alcohol and Marjuana do not help. Eat right, exersise, and don't put anything in your system that you don't believe is providing a benifit. See a nutrition specilist and have your system checked to see if your system is lacking in any vitamins or minerals. These can trigger chemical imbalances in your system and are often over looked. In many cases depression and/or anxiety is triggered by a event or events before the symtoms develope. An example would be the loss of a loved one or a job in Feb but the depression does not show up until late March or April or even May. If you have had some past turmoil this may have triggered your condition. Getting past it may help. I am conviniced that you can help control anxiety and depression yourself. My opinion would be the following. Good Luck.

1) You and your doctor must find the right drug. Don't stop until you feel better.
2) Always find something to look forward to.
3) Have your blood and system checked. Vitamin/mineral defecienies, over active thyroid, blood pressure, etc......
4) Exercise if your doctor says you can. this is important
5) Get the proper amount of sleep
6) Remember your not alone--Maybe a support group, also there have been some good books written on Anxiety.
7) For some (not all) Marjuana can trigger panic attacts, not sure about alcohol.
8) Learn (yes learn) to Relax naturally.
9) Avoid Caffene and Chocolate
10) It may or may not help and sounds for lack of a better word stupid, but learn to fight the attack. No you can't fight a chemical imbalance but if your attacks are also surroundings or situational oriented, In time you may find methods that help reduce the severity of the attack. Learn how you feel just before you have the attack. You may learn to change your mood ( mind set ) before the attack is triggered and prevent or lessen some attacks.

You have half the battle won. Some never seek help until they are so severe they become non-functional. I'm sure for you this is just a temporary situation. You can't have Highs in life if there are no Lows.

God Bless

Bill

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is getting to me lately is the near daily constant mood swings. From feeling "shaky", panic attack prone to feeling kind of ok, to feeling too ok, a little hyper and then the depression and of course the anxiety that often grips my body.

Doctor's generally try selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) over tricyclics these days with Prozac being the first and most well known. As I mentioned in my first post, I have tried Celexa and Zoloft and in both cases, small dosages, less then the generally minimum prescribed, have made me feel very speedy, much more of an overdrive then what say caffeine can produce. Everybody's brain is different, a co-worker says Zoloft just puts her to sleep.

I have tried to take care of myself. After drinking both coffee and alcohol heavily, I've had no alcohol and very little caffeine in all of 2008. I lost the 15 lbs. I gained last fall although not entirely on purpose. I have been eating reasonably healthy and have been light on the sweets another weakness of mind. I have been walking quite a bit more lately and that seems to be somewhat therapeutic. If I'm stressed it's hard for me to do more aerobic exercise which I would like to do such as running.

I finally will see a psych doctor in two weeks if I can hang on that long and I'm hoping he can get a better handle on my situation and maybe have a solution for the harsh side effects of the meds. After four months of this I really do think probably only a chemical solution is going to provide any promise of a more constant relief. I will ask the psych doctor about possible other tests for lack of nutrition but I take some pretty potent vitamins every day. I had hoped maybe some of this had to do with the body rebelling against alcohol withdrawal but like I said it's been four months.

geepondy,

First let me say I am not a doctor. However, I do have a little knowledge on the subject.

It sounds like you have tried a couple of different drugs with little help. Xanax (Alprazolam), used to be the drug of choice for mild and severe anxiety. It does have side effects and must be removed from your system slowly. The tricyclic anti-depressants used to be effective but I believe they have been replaced with drugs like Zoloft and I don't even know if there still used. Don't give up. The great news is it is treatable. Alcohol and Marjuana do not help. Eat right, exersise, and don't put anything in your system that you don't believe is providing a benifit. See a nutrition specilist and have your system checked to see if your system is lacking in any vitamins or minerals. These can trigger chemical imbalances in your system and are often over looked. In many cases depression and/or anxiety is triggered by a event or events before the symtoms develope. An example would be the loss of a loved one or a job in Feb but the depression does not show up until late March or April or even May. If you have had some past turmoil this may have triggered your condition. Getting past it may help. I am conviniced that you can help control anxiety and depression yourself. My opinion would be the following. Good Luck.

1) You and your doctor must find the right drug. Don't stop until you feel better.
2) Always find something to look forward to.
3) Have your blood and system checked. Vitamin/mineral defecienies, over active thyroid, blood pressure, etc......
4) Exercise if your doctor says you can. this is important
5) Get the proper amount of sleep
6) Remember your not alone--Maybe a support group, also there have been some good books written on Anxiety.
7) For some (not all) Marjuana can trigger panic attacts, not sure about alcohol.
8) Learn (yes learn) to Relax naturally.
9) Avoid Caffene and Chocolate
10) It may or may not help and sounds for lack of a better word stupid, but learn to fight the attack. No you can't fight a chemical imbalance but if your attacks are also surroundings or situational oriented, In time you may find methods that help reduce the severity of the attack. Learn how you feel just before you have the attack. You may learn to change your mood ( mind set ) before the attack is triggered and prevent or lessen some attacks.

You have half the battle won. Some never seek help until they are so severe they become non-functional. I'm sure for you this is just a temporary situation. You can't have Highs in life if there are no Lows.

God Bless

Bill

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
A phyc doctor is definitely the way to go. He will be up to date on the latest treatments. I didn't get the impression based on your original post you were not already seeing one. It sounds to me like you have not found the right drug to get your chemicals back in alignment. I have friends who have hurled Zoloft as their miracle cure and friends who have said it made them suicidal. You are right everyone is different. I am confident since you are seeing doctors and doing everything you can, you will find relief. I am a big supporter of exercise, especially with your symtoms. Doctors used to prescribe it a lot more. I had a friend 15 years ago who had problems with his nerves and minor depression. The doctor told him to sweat his butt off for 1 hour 3 times a week. Please don't start running though without the approval of your doctor! If he approves it and you do like to run, I believe it will make a difference. In the warm months I try to run everyday for at least 15 to 20 minutes, and 30 minutes to 1 hour or longer 3 times a week. If I don't, I do not feel good. The important thing is to sweat!

Keep your head up. Again you cannot have highs in life without lows and everybody has both. Try to find things to look forward to and KEEP BUSY. Don't let your mind just sit idle and worry about everything. It does not help. You are just experiencing a bad low right now for some reason. In most cases it is temporary, changes in life style or even a little help from the doctor is not unusual to correct these situations and you are doing both.

I think your doing the right things. Good luck and God Bless

Bill

Latest posts