Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought this was referring to some sort of scientific manipulation and related wizardry, not just a traditional "bean" (vegetable meal) "burger" (patty)

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought this was referring to some sort of scientific manipulation and related wizardry, not just a traditional "bean" (vegetable meal) "burger" (patty)

There is some manipulation or wizardry going on with the current iteration of meatless burgers, specifically with a yeast element that is modified to produce hemochromes. This is the substance that produces the visual appearance of meet "bleeding."

nbp

Flashaholic
I have no problem eating meat and love burgers as much as the next guy but I would consider eating more plant based burgers and things like this (assuming they offer a very comparable experience) for the sole reason that they are so much more earth friendly. Look at the statistics in that article Empath posted. I mean, Holy Cow! The impact on the environment from this product compared to raising and processing livestock is fantastically smaller. If even a fraction of the world's hamburgers shifted to items like the Impossible Burger, imagine the positive impact on the earth. I generally don't care that much for Burger King but I may stop in to try one of these.

I have eaten plenty of veggie burgers in the past and I don't mind them, but they were very obviously not meat. I'm curious about something that mimics it so closely.

scout24

Flashaholic
Probably not the thread to mention that Mrs. Scout and I put a 1/4 cow that was raised about 8 miles from us in our freezer last week? :) That said, If I'm ordering a burger when we're out with friends I'll try the veggie burger if it's on the menu since I have an idea of what's really in it. That, to me, is huge compared to who-knows-where-it-came-from beef.

Edit- Latest beef recall story, 160,000 pounds... Scary.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So what happens if you hate said veggie burger tried for the first time while out with friends?

Ten years later: "Man I'll never forget that time he had bitter beer face all evening as he tried to act like he liked that bean burger". lol.

Just make sure you've had a few beers first....

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also forgot to mention that these were $1 more than the regular Whopper too?
Neither taste very good to me but more than that I am always unsatisfied after a BK experience and was equally so with one of these.

So I suppose it was tough to tell much difference?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what happens if you hate said veggie burger tried for the first time while out with friends?

Ten years later: "Man I'll never forget that time he had bitter beer face all evening as he tried to act like he liked that bean burger". lol.

Just make sure you've had a few beers first....
We went a reastaurant called Le Train Blue in Paris many years ago.
In the Grills section they had something called Andouilette, so intrigued, I asked my wife, who is a Chef what it was.
"It's a sort of sausage", she said. So I ordered it.
It is a sausage, but it's made with the lower intestines of a cow.
My plate arrived with an artfully twisted 12 inch sausage on it.
I cut a portion and popped it into my mouth, I have never tasted something so disgusting in my life. Looking at my face, my friends asked what it tasted like, "poop" I replied and spat the thing into my napkin.
One of my friends who is fluent in French asked the waiter what was in the sausage, he replied by making a gesture with his hands as if his guts had just exploded onto the table.
I wanted to hide the thing behind the radiator to cover my embarassment but wasn't allowed. If we'd have had the beagles with us we could have taken it for them.
They would have loved it - for obvoius reasons.
P

One of my favorite meals is a good cheeseburger. I might have seven a year. Fastfood? Hardly ever. Just don't want 18 year olds making minium wage touching my food.

TXcCpWa.jpg

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably not the thread to mention that Mrs. Scout and I put a 1/4 cow that was raised about 8 miles from us in our freezer last week? :)

Edit- Latest beef recall story, 160,000 pounds... Scary.

I've got the State Black Angus Association located less than 5 miles from my house. They have lists of farmers selling beef by the quarter, half and full cow.

I eat ground burger a couple of times a month. Mostly beef, but also include chicken, turkey and pork. Whatever doesn't get pattied gets browned and used for spaghetti sauce.

The meat recalls are from large processing plants with little to no USDA oversight. If processing regulations were changed to require four hour tear downs of the equipment and sterilization with bleach, they'd be few recalls.

Look at the produce recalls of lettuce, strawberries, and other leafy vegetables that occur every year. You've got pickers using the fields as toilets. Atleast with meat, if it's cooked to 180 degrees Fahrenheit, the nasties are killed. Not that you want them there in the first place, but cooking does kill pathogens.

PartyPete

Enlightened
Meatless is OK. Some are good, some are not. I'll take a good meatless burger over no burger at all. [emoji6]

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I had an Impossible Burger at a cafeteria where they did a good job with it and it was really tasty. Then I recently had another one at a bar-restaurant where they're notorious for making everything on the greasy side. The Impossible Burger was soaked with grease and it was nowhere near as good as the first one I tried at a cafeteria.

This same bar-restaurant also serves the traditional garden burger swimming in grease. Yuch.

To nbp's point, yes it's far less resource intensive to produce plant-based meat substitutes And there's virtually zero chance of a meatless burger being contaminated with some of the scarier meat based pathogens like the one that's responsible for mad cow disease.

Last edited:

Lumen83

Enlightened
I had one from a pretty well-regarded restaurant. The flavor was decent, but mostly from the sauce/guac/toppings. The texture was a little odd but not horrible. But, the burger kind of wanted to fall apart/crumble. It was overall okay, but I wouldn't deliberately order it anywhere again. I actually accidentally ordered it. I didn't know what a black bean burger was. It was a mexican burger with chipotle sauce, guac, jalepenos, etc. And, it said black bean burger on the menu. Well, I just figured it was a burger topped with black beans, which would have gone well with all of the other stuff. Didn't realize it was made of black beans entirely instead of meat. Guess I don't get out as much as I used to, and didn't realize that was a thing now.

LRJ88

Enlightened
I had one from a pretty well-regarded restaurant. The flavor was decent, but mostly from the sauce/guac/toppings. The texture was a little odd but not horrible. But, the burger kind of wanted to fall apart/crumble. It was overall okay, but I wouldn't deliberately order it anywhere again. I actually accidentally ordered it. I didn't know what a black bean burger was. It was a mexican burger with chipotle sauce, guac, jalepenos, etc. And, it said black bean burger on the menu. Well, I just figured it was a burger topped with black beans, which would have gone well with all of the other stuff. Didn't realize it was made of black beans entirely instead of meat. Guess I don't get out as much as I used to, and didn't realize that was a thing now.

Black bean topping on a regular burger would be pretty good though, sounds like a black bean burger i could get behind.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Black bean topping on a regular burger would be pretty good though, sounds like a black bean burger i could get behind.

Heck ya. Some kind of mexican taco burger. But, keep the meat.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Impossible burgers...miracle noodles...what real food is going to be invented in the lab next?

If you're giving up burgers, give up burgers.

Of course, some of these impossible burger munchers are now as well ex-smoking, die hard vapers. :rolleyes:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Beyond Meat Inc. (BYND) IPO for today was at $25
== right now it's up 141% at 1:12 p.m. eastern

wish I put a couple bucks into it..