Anything new on the Cool Fall front?

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 007 Sapphire head copper heat sink with a copper MCPCB and XM-L2
2016-04-05.16.26.18s.jpg

The new finish is completed. I will post a pic of it soon.

And new 007 is nearly ready to go. :popcorn:

Cheers
Dave

easilyled

Flashaholic
That heat sink looks like its as sturdy as can be for such a small light data :thumbsup:

I was wondering whether you'll be tempted to use the XPL-Hi in your lights for a similar output but more throw compared with the XM-L2?

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice solid looking heatsink.

I agree with easilyled - the XP-L HI should definitely be on the list of the LEDs to use. Much better tint and none of the chromatic aberration that the XM-L leds suffer terribly from.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the XP-L and XP-L Hi are available.

I agree with you guys that, as the 007 is concerned, they are good if you want more throw or if you are a white wall hunter.

But as you guys know better than most, there is another side to the story. The XM-L2 is better if you want more efficiency or if you want more fill and less light tunnel vision.

The max light coming out of these emitters at over 3A is so powerful that in an indoor or outdoor setting, I find the better fill with the 007 reflector to be more pleasing for everyday use as an EDC.

It is not my goal to take a stand on emitters and beam patterns and efficiency with in reason. And as you guys know I usually do not say anything on this subject. There are so many threads on this stuff. I am usually bombarded with emitter questions and I tend to refer people to those threads. The 007 will have both options available. :tinfoil:

Cheers
Dave

easilyled

Flashaholic
Yes, the XP-L and XP-L Hi are available.

I agree with you guys that, as the 007 is concerned, they are good if you want more throw or if you are a white wall hunter.

But as you guys know better than most, there is another side to the story. The XM-L2 is better if you want more efficiency or if you want more fill and less light tunnel vision.

The max light coming out of these emitters at over 3A is so powerful that in an indoor or outdoor setting, I find the better fill with the 007 reflector to be more pleasing for everyday use as an EDC.

It is not my goal to take a stand on emitters and beam patterns and efficiency with in reason. And as you guys know I usually do not say anything on this subject. There are so many threads on this stuff. I am usually bombarded with emitter questions and I tend to refer people to those threads. The 007 will have both options available. :tinfoil:

Cheers
Dave

Dave, I highlighted the phrase "more efficiency", because according to the spec numbers, on Cree's datasheets, the XP-L is slightly more efficient than the XM-L2 rather than less so.

At least this is what I recall seeing.

lefteye219

Enlightened
I think I need to go back to PA again, Dave has lotsa goodies there :p and Also take a Pizza and bribe him to let me walk out with a SPY :p

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
. . . on Cree's datasheets, the XP-L is slightly more efficient than the XM-L2 rather than less so. At least this is what I recall seeing.

Thanks for prodding me to look closer. The XM-L2 is not more efficient.

I am working on the 007 pictures of the new finish.

:wave:

Cheers
Dave

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main difference is the thermal resistance at the junction point. The XM-L2 is 2.2 and the XP-L is 2.5. Because of this the XP-L loses lumens to the XM-L2 as currents approach the 3A max. I don't think it's a big burden in the Spy as most use will be well within thermal limits with some boosts to fun mode here and there. :D

Mr.Mcgoo

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I have been reading through the forum and see that many posts are old and this one mentioned anything new on the front. I carry my 007 almost everyday and it has to be my favorite light though I will admit I'm more or less a rookie. Is this still a popular item and are is there anything new coming in 2016? Thanks