Anything new on the Cool Fall front?

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
due to wanting a good level of water resistance ive never owned a spy; but from my years of lurking here i always found the 005 to be more visually appealing than the 007. cant quite put my finger on it but it seems to have a more retro look to it. hopefully that doesn't get lost now that it will be all out of titanium.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since toiling in the field and sleeping at night these past months, I have had opportunities very few to light up the night. My purchases have been sheds, tractors and farm equipment. I liken myself to Eddie Albert from the TV series of yore, "Green Acres". Nevertheless, over the many years of using SPYs, I have always treasured my three 005s. I have asked for the arrival of the new 005, and now, it seems, we are in the anticipation stage. The upcoming 005 will be my next purchase. I can barely wait....

Karl

Zandar

Enlightened
Wow, It's almost been one full year since I got my TRI-V and I was planning on emailing you this week about your plans for a new light. And then you just happen to post about it today. I'm definitely interested in a retro style 005 light!

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
the more ive been thinking about the new 005 spy, the more I think maybe the inside of the oval would look better polished.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
the more ive been thinking about the new 005 spy, the more I think maybe the inside of the oval would look better polished.

Assuming that's not the default finish, I think it would be fairly easy for you (or any other owner who wanted that) to achieve it themselves. I would just use masking tape around the groove (so that's not polished) and then some metal polish and a duster for the groove itself.

If the stone-washed finish is rough, it might require first rubbing the groove with some very fine steel wool or a very fine sponge sanding pad.

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Misspost.... I've been "dying" for this light since I first purchased my 005s!

Last edited:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had come close to purchase a couple 005's at different times, but never pulled the trigger.
Was really really thinking of getting a Sapphire, now this confuses my decision.

Wonder where the price point will land, compared to the Sapphire?
Guessing with the new driver, output will be similar to the Sapphire as well?

Zandar

Enlightened
I had come close to purchase a couple 005's at different times, but never pulled the trigger.
Was really really thinking of getting a Sapphire, now this confuses my decision.

Wonder where the price point will land, compared to the Sapphire?
Guessing with the new driver, output will be similar to the Sapphire as well?

Launch I'm in the same boat as you. Looking at what Data has said so far the new Ti 005 will be mostly a retro design with the all the improvements on the inside of the light. We're looking at a STUFU mark 4 with upgraded programming, (Haptic Feedback?) and a new emitter. The outside with the apparent exception of a new " standard " no option, Stone wash finish will be the same. So no Vegas or Vault presumably. As for pricing, I'd look at the cost of a base Saphire and add in the Spring Field finish cost. So that would be $1295 plus 400 for a reasonable estimate of $1695. Of course there maybe options that we don't know about yet, so who knows?
I'm not sure about you, but I don't really plan on spending upwards of $4200 this year to get both lights! So you have to ask yourself, which is light is most important to you? The latest tech light or a cool retro one? I'm still on the fence, Zandar