Anything out ther brighter at a distance than our flashlight?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I can't believe I just read through all 7 pages of that thread! I sure was an interesting read, especially since it seems like this tech actually works.

Saabluster, are you saying that you would use this collar device instead of the pre-collimator that you currently use (assuming you could devise some way for it to work with the smaller domed LEDs)? So instead of using some of the wasted light to make the light source appear larger before the main lens (as the pre-collimator does, if I understand correctly), you would simply have the original light source with more surface brightness?

So you would have a warmer and more intense (albeit smaller) hotspot coming out the front? This seems like a very good development, even if it isn't yet completely compatible with the LEDs that most of our lights currently use.

Well there is not time to incorporate this into the DEFT at this time. We are about to stop producing the DEFT. I will certainly pursue this for any pertinent future products however. The possibilities make me salivate just thinking about it.:drool:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well there is not time to incorporate this into the DEFT at this time. We are about to stop producing the DEFT. I will certainly pursue this for any pertinent future products however. The possibilities make me salivate just thinking about it.:drool:

Oh, I hadn't heard that. Either way, keep us aprised; it seems like this technology could produce an even better aspheric thrower than the DEFT.

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd personally like to see smaller versions of the deft, sacrifice some throw to make it more pocketable.

ama230

Enlightened
as old 1.99 beeper commercials said, we could tell you how we do it, but do you really care?

I like this guys attitude.... Most of the stuff I develop is rather simple but when you explain how you did what you did, they:

1) Still don't believe you, and you get your head cut off or stoned to death.:devil:

2) Quickly lose interest since they think they understand it and say thats too simple. Not understanding it at all they just lose respect and say I could have made that.:tired:

3) Need to apply their own ideas and theories to validate your findings. This is a number one pet peve of mine. Well when I did this it didn't do this or that. I have tried this and it doesn't work. You need to replicate and record your findings and get rid of the variables and stick to the non-variables and you might find some cool stuff.

Of course this guy isn't a flashlight nerd like the rest of us but was able to relate and this is more than needed. I give the guy two thumbs up for doing what he does and keep up the good work because small tweaks can go a long ways.lovecpf

MikeAusC

Enlightened
I wonder how much improvement this Collar will make with XR-E LEDs, since they have a narrower beam than the CBT LEDs.

The XR-E has a half-intensity angle of +-45 degrees, whereas the CBT has a half-intensity angle of +-55 degrees.

MikeAusC

Enlightened
I've read all 206 msgs here, but I'm surprised there's been no mention that this technology has already been licenced to a torch manufacturer - and focussed:naughty: specifically on "Throwers".

From http://www.ereleases.com/pr/wavien-...dustrial-taiwan-flashlight-applications-35490

"VALENCIA, Calif., May 10, 2010 — Wavien and TaYih today announced that TaYih Industrial Co., Ltd. has licensed Wavien's Premien(TM) LED Recycling technology for use in ultra-narrow beam, high-output tactical LED flashlights. This new design produces over 80% increase in output intensity compared to standard technology. Wavien's Premien Recycling Collar is a very low-cost component that captures the wasted light in conventional LED lighting designs, recycles the light, and directs it back into the output beam. Wavien continues to optimize the system performance using the Recycling Collar and plans to expand the technology into other lighting systems that are compatible with standard lighting fixtures.
"The ability to brightly illuminate an object from a distance with sufficient brightness has been a goal for many lighting designers, especially for specialty flashlight systems where an ultra-narrow, targeted high-intensity beam is needed, such as search and rescue, and law enforcement operations," stated Dr. Kenneth Li, President and CEO of Wavien, Inc., who is also the inventor of the technology."

zzonbi

Newly Enlightened
Old idea, well done nonetheless. As expected efficiency suffers, there's roughly half the flux now in exchange for 1.5x the lux, smaller solid angle, less blue.

Since there's little else to do besides retroreflection (better dies, nanopatterns, high amps/low temps), it's worth it for higher brightness. A similar idea is to replace part of the phosphor with a mirror.

Pitty those CBTs aren't cheaper.

enginyr

Newly Enlightened
Man I give kudos to this guy for keeping his cool early on because you guys were quite harsh and showing no or little remorse. lovecpf What happened to the welcome, so and so. Where's the love?lovecpf.

Anyways from the photovoltaic's aspect of this(PV panels and LEDs are very similar but different processing(Photons In/Photons Out) and the help of Albert Einstein I will hopefully explain this a little better. As the law of conservation states, there is no extra energy being created here its just being transferred and thus projected in a more useful way(efficiency).

Then for the photons being slapped around here:whoopin:, when you concentrate a source of photons when striking a PV panel you increase the efficiency and thus more work is being provided. This is then concerning diffusion, diffraction and reflection and when at least two of these are kept within a limit you will have almost 2-3x better results than before, and it almost seems like you are creating energy but you simply can not. Electricity, water and air all have the same general characteristics if you want to picture what is going on here. If you can relate to this crazy smart guy, til the end of days, has this theory of relativity that clearly states what is going on here. Then from what this kind gentleman describes still proves valid. Whether it be channeling electrons, protons, voltrons(just a joke:drool:), photons when directing these in a manner that applies to modern day physics(and undiscovered physics, as we have yet to find out) it has proven to be successful.

Also I would like to see a new technology take off as leds are still an infant technology and deserve their spotlight. This is just like the new electric bike that has twice the torque of a ducati race bike and is lighter. These things are just around the corner and I am psyched as well as this led that will beat incandescent technologies like HID, flourecent, etc...(I am just relating the glass and vacuum technologies and I know how they are different but are ancient but still are good) Some use a filament and some use a charged gas and some plasmatic.

Please keep these minds flexible as the "world is flat" comments are getting old and whats the fun in believing so. No one is saying your wrong but please give some slack as this guy has some stuff to back up his claims.

Also I don't think you are seeing the main point is that the big wigs on here are being asked politely if they will first answer a question and two give their opinion. Also there is a little of mis-communication going on here as you guys have your lingo on here and some have to maybe catch up(me included):duh2:. This guy is not showing off but rather consulting with experts to validate his findings which I would consider as a huge compliment. Also, just like the few gifted, are bad at explaining what they are thinking so give them some time and both parties can learn.

If it hasn't been mentioned :welcome:Enginyr.

Thank you!!!