Arc4 public beta test of new switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion, every flashlight that goes undamaged after multiple 3 feet drops deserves a mention in technology history books.

This said, I have three Arc4 rev. 2 flashlights, and I am pretty satisfied of the switch but I do not drop them, not even from one foot, because I am aware that the battery flattening, resulting fron the drop, will render them unusable.

This said, Peter, what will be the arrangment for rev. 2 international owners?

Thank you for your hard work

Anthony

sithjedi333

Enlightened
Will the new design incorporate a tailswitch guard? Seems to me that would reduce much of the direct impact on the switch when dropped.

Deanster

Enlightened
T_i_N - could you perhaps give it a 'magic marker test'? - grab the light in your fist, switch down, and from an overhead position, smash the switch a half dozen times onto a counter or something solid, as a kid would do to a magic marker, flattening the tip into a useless jumble?

If the switch can take that (much more aggressive than a drop, due to increased force and 90* impact angle), it's fine by me.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Deanster,

I've actually done that test numerous times. Twenty (my magic number) times to be exact. It is much harder on the switch but it unfortunately doesn't leave any scratch marks on the body /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif When I'm done with this, I want at least some evidence that I performed the job as required. IMO, I think the test is conclusive but the beta test required at least a week of abuse. So we shall continue the abuse.

CM

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Update: The testing is going well. No issues with the switch action after the freezer test. I've been in the backyard most of the day today, doing the normal lawn stuff. From time to time, I tossed the Arc4 from one end of the yard to the other. This distance is well over 100 feet. I ran over the light with the lawn tractor a couple times, with the tires.

The light is still performing nicely.

M_R

Enlightened
Peter, Ray, CM,

After reading this tonight the marketeer inside of me was inspired. I must first give you a quick history¡ NEWBIE only by membership and investment. I've loved quality all my life and WRT FL's I've always made sure that my 4D and AA MagLights hade fresh batteries. Once I found CPF last month, after days of research and hesitation to make the $$ plunge, I ordered an ARC4 2nd and then two Photon Freedoms for the car keys; BB&MM sandwiches for my MiniMag and a PP for a LH all followed . Funny thing is all I have in hand to date are my originals as the 2nd and Photons were shipped to the US to avoid brokerage/duty and 15%tax, alas to be delivered tomorrowƒº. In the heat of my spending spree, the resent surge in the B/S/T market in the last day has tempted me too many times, and after reading this thread I thought I would ask for dibs on one of the beta Arc4's once testing was complete for sentimental and historic reasons¡ but then I thought of hot air balloons.. video cameras.. and realised that these test units are Arc's best possible marketing assets, and should never be sold! Actually I will suggest the following. This may be expensive at first but listen to the vision. Peter you could arrange to have video cameras sent to your testers to document the history of testing/abuse that these lights have handled. The records drops are not only testing the new (although this re-engineered level of functionality in my eyes was only inevitable) switches, but directly proving the design and overall supremacy (in its category) of the ARC4 as a virtually indestructible top of the line and revolutionary flashlight (EDC doesn't even factor in!). The history of the abuse could be documented both in text and rich media for promotional purposes and although newer models will follow, the testers (actual lights) should continue their documented abuse for, as a see it, eternity!!! I did mention hot air balloons.. I've never been in one and it would be interesting to know if any of you have had exposure, but I see huge sponsorship opportunities with free balloon trips for the testers (CPF'rs) in the Arc branded balloon showing off the drop test on the original ARC4 testers from not dozens of feet but thousands! Do you think they would hold up?? I wouldn't be surprised. At any rate, full fledged Air Balloons might be a bit grand for continual use, so smaller unmanned but yet visibly brand-able versions (in the shape of an Arc) can be set up for remote controlled releases at trade shows etc. This will also prove that with the exception of accidental loss or thousand foot unrecoverable hot air balloon drops, lanyards are not required for the ARC4! A video could be created for looped play at your future dealers and then ARC's would rule the world!!! OK, maybe a bit over the top but I think you really have something here. So happy testing; and I now know that once I get my hands on my ARC4 tomorrow that I will definitely not worry about any type of drop as the fix is here! Great work guys!!!

Regards,

Matthew

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Rev3 Switch Testers and Peter G, I have another brand battery that could use testing with the new switch... That is the RadioShack brand. I just tried one with mine the other day and they are horrible. With all the other batteries working though, I highly suspect the RadioShack batts are workable.
Cameron

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matrudenko,

I have considered video taping my hammer test. However it would have been in DVD format (elementary streams) and I do not have the time to convert it to the proper format for posting here.

bobisculous,

The new switch are more battery proof because of the increased travel. Three 123's in my test light have been crushed to the point they no longer work in the Arc Rev1. But they continue to work in the new switch. I really think Peter has a winner here with the new design.

CM

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
will the switch work with the hopefully-soon -to be- coming tail guard?

if so, I can be apart from my rev1 for 3 weeks!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
This new switch has performed flawlessly. Nice job Peter. Earlier, I had reported that I was going to drag this around town from the bumper of my car. I've reconsidered that, mostly due to my fear of losing the light and now realizing it until it's too late. In retrospec, the only thing that test may have done is destroyed a perfectly working light.

From the testing I've done to this point, I can comfortably say that a user should not have any issues with a casual fall for heavy use of this light. I have not run into any battery size issues either. I've been thru Duracell, SureFire, Energizer and Battery Station cells so far and all is well. This cells have even been deformed and the Arc4 has worked flawlessly.

Commander

Enlightened
The new switch sounds great.

And 3 weeks is also great.

But will the new "firmware" update be out soon?

That will save me from sending the light in 2 times...

Regards - Thomas

coccolithophorid

Newly Enlightened
These tests certainly show the switches toughness, but I want to know about its longevity. Will this switch work well after 10,000 clicks? I'd like to see some type of device that would click the switch for days on end, then see those results.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Building such a device could be done and we have considered it. However, I think the cycle life is going to be pretty good. The switching component we are using is rated by the component manufacturer at over 5 million cycles.

Peter

georget98

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
coccolithophorid said:
These tests certainly show the switches toughness, but I want to know about its longevity. Will this switch work well after 10,000 clicks? I'd like to see some type of device that would click the switch for days on end, then see those results.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you want to test switch life over hundreds of thousands of clicks, follow this procedure: 1) hand the light to a CPF member, 2) say "this ARC-4 has been modified with a special digital quadrature nano-hysteresis mode which produces hyper-tactical pulse groups of up to 900 lumens. To activate, click the switch 147 times in exactly 53 seconds."

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Peter: goody goody goody goody goody....!

if McGyver had carried a light, it would have been an Arc4

RayT

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mr. Blue said:if McGyver had carried a light, it would have been an Arc4

[/ QUOTE ]
McGyver could have made his own Arc4 with some string and tin cans. Why would he want to carry one?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a few items McGyver didn't make but always carried like his swiss army knife for one.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the Rev3 switch come with the tailguard or will this be an optional item? I don't think I've found the answer to this anywhere on this thread..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts