Arc4 public beta test of new switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

sithjedi333

Enlightened
hmm... video does not come up for me

Page Not Found
The page you are trying to locate could not be found. Please try again later. We apologize for the inconvenience.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I just opened the package with the beta unit. I first set it to my desired levels (4 and 7), cycled it through some of the menu options, then dropped it 3' (6-times) onto my cement porch floor. Three of those drops were a direct hit on the switch side. I tried all the critical functions (setting the modes, double-click, double-click, triple-click and hold). It's still working well. The feel of the switch has not changed due to the falls.

I actually like the new tension of the switch. I don't find it too hard to press and it has a much better "secure" feel to it.

My next step was to ask my wife to walk across the street where I was to play a game of catch. We performed 3-series of passes back-and-forth, of which neither of us caught the light with each toss. That's (6) times where the light was thrown ~15-20 yards and landing directly on the pavement each time. This unit looks dented pretty good already and I haven't even had it for an hour yet, however it's working fine. I'm going to play around with it some more tonight, however it currently in the freezer cooling off. Assuming I can't break this light, I'll be testing it over the coarse of the next week or two.

My final test will be to tie this Arc4 to my bumper and drive with it dragging, scraping and bouncing the ground for 1-mile.

RayT

Newly Enlightened
Seems like a nice switch. I take it from the sounds on the video that your building is close to an airport. Nice monitor on the desk. I also hope that one of those sticky notes on your desk says "Send Ray Thompson an Arc4x Rev3 when they are finished."

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
T I N,
Woohoo! Sounds like you are having a good time making sure Rev3 will be the last revision. After all, testing can't be completed until the light is completely destroyed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well, if nothing else, i think we can all safely conclude that peter is every bit as crazy (or crazier) than we thought! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

everything is looking good peter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, my....thats quite a test that TIN has put this through. Sounds like a winner to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
This will now become the "benchmark" test for all future flashlights. "Excuse me, but has this light been 'granseed'?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Wellspring

Newly Enlightened
You could drop it off the balcony over the student center.

Or better yet, leave it in the registrar's office overnight. If it can survive immersion in pure, uncut Murphy's Law, it can survive anything.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Just so you all know, Peter figured that CY and I would need a week or two to put these tailcaps thru the paces. I'll be honest. In the last couple hours, I've put this light thru more abuse, more falls, more drops on the bezel and tailcap end, that anyone could do in normal usesage in a lifetime. Is the light scuffed up? Sure it is. Is there a few dents where the light landed on a small stone while I THREW it onto the pavement? Damn right there is.

Does it continue to work in all modes. YES.
Does the feel of the switch feel like it did on my 1st press. YES.
Did the lens fail in anyway. NO.

I just finished rinsing the light to get the dirt, mud and grass off it from the kicking around it just took in the back yard. Without drying it off, it's now resting in the freezer where it will remain until 6pm tomorrow night where the abuse will once again commence.

Peter, without jumping to conclusions prematurely, I think you've got it Sir.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
wellspring: how about just throw it as hard as you can as that silly
campanile. just kidding. i don't want to get in trouble /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Hey.. are you at tech?

Peter: idea. how about after these fellas are done with abusing the
rev3's put it up for auction CPF benefit. Me personally, I hate
having new things that I don't want to scratch up. Thats why I like
getting hardy used equipment that I don't care about beating up and I
just use it just to use it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I bet it would get pretty high /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This is of course these lights make it through the abuse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif))

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, thats incredible, for anything to survive that. Not just flashlights, but 'things' in general. You say these will be a retrofit for our current rev1's and for the most part, rev2. Will they be available to everyone once manufactured and what will the cost be you think? I know everyone jumps on this question fast, so no worry if no thoughts on that yet. Just wanted to get the question out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I am excited about this switch and the fact that it will go on the rev2s. One more thing to brag about(the fact that you can do anything to it, and it will survive). I am not taking this new switch for granted at all... Peter, your light was already a revolutionary peice of work, so this is just an addition to it. Good Job,
Cameron

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard of a hammer switch test and since I haven't been able to really challenge this thing and Nascar is really upping the ante, I figured I'd give it one good whack.

Result: Still working. Menus still navigable. Maybe I should do this *again* but video tape the test? I'm amazed at how much this thing can take. The switch seems to be easier to press now but that's maybe because I'm getting used to the 7lb pressure. More to come...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Most impressive Ray and Peter G. !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I wanted to post earlier today after reading Ray's test methods but couldn't stop laughing! Sheesh, I hope you and your wife can get better at catch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

W4DIZ

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Wellspring

Newly Enlightened
Formerly at Tech. Whew, formerly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For those of you who haven't seen it, the Kessler Campanile is a vertical 100 ft barbed metal spike coming out of a pool at Georgia Tech. It's affectionately known as The Shaft, and the pool is dyed blood red for finals week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.