Beamshots A2 L2 SL K2 E1L L1 E1B P3D R100 Q5 M60 EO9 P60 P61 P90 P91 EO9 HOR5 MN16 M6

EV_007

Enlightened
Very pic heavy... dial up users beware...

So all this talk about beamshots and seeing them inspired me to go out to the back yard and snap a few of my own comparing some of the popular lights and lamp assemblies.

This series of images only shows overall brightness compared to other lights. This is only ONE variable in a flashlight. There is also form factor, size, power source and user interface that also play into the overall characteristics of a flashlight.

You can get pretty good beamshots even when ambient light is present in the city or burbs in my case. For example, the streetlight actually acts as a constant point of reference which shows the exposure locked down and is pretty consistent from shot to shot. Also this is a "standard" object which everyone knows.

I also have a picnic table and a cardboard box in the "target" area in the name of standardized consistency.

I overexposed the series slightly to show the spill of the beams rather than the detail in the hotspot. If I were more ambitious and not getting eatin' by mosquitoes, I would have bracketed one above and below the average settings.

I also found an interesting feature with the software that came with my camera. When downloading images to the PC, it gives you brightness histogram of EACH image. Thought it would be useful in seeing the brightness level graphed out. The control shot shows the camera settings for all the shot in the series. I wanted to bracket and do three different distance shots, but the bugs were attracted by all the lumens. Go figure eh? I think the neighbors thought I was looking for a prowler or something.
:grin2: I now see why people don't like to do beamshots in the city.

The 50 feet mark would be average distance most people would encounter when using lights outdoors. The yard goes back to 150 FT, but again the bugs put a kobosch to that idea.

I used the low on my A2 YG to make notes during the shots which I found extremely well adapted for close up night work. A table was another helpful item to have when comparing lights so that you can lay them out.

Control-Panel.jpg

Tree and picnic table and cardboard box in shadow. I did a second series of shots a couple of nights later, thus the images may not line up exactly, however, the distance to subject and camera settings remain the same.

MINI_MAG_E1E_MN01.jpg

E2E_MN02_03.jpg

E0_1R_2R.jpg

P60_61.jpg

P_90_91.jpg

EO_9_HO_R5-1.jpg

M3T_MN16_M6_MN21.jpg

A2_U2.jpg

SF_PP_10440.jpg

L2_R80.jpg

E1B_F04_E1B.jpg

E1L_L1.jpg

K2_SL_PP.jpg

P3D_R100_Q5.jpg

MALKOFF_M60_M60C.jpg

The two Malkoff M60 drop-ins I received were slightly different in tint from each other. Both are by far the nicest LEDs I've seen in terms of overall output and tint. I prefer the warmer version.

4_compare.jpg

Quick look at similar powered incan and LEDs side by side.

e1B_fo4_UP.jpg

This is the E1B with the F04 setup along with the E2D tailcap for tail standing with teeth.

M6_M3T_WF500_.jpg

M6_M3T_WF500_bezel_.jpg

Just a quick lineup of the top "brightest" performers of the night. The M6 MN21 on primaries which have been in there for a few months. The M3T CB powered by AW 2x17670s (A19 cell extender not shown) and the WF500 with Lumens Factory HO-R5 bulb run on AW 2x18650s.

SureFire_M6-1.jpg

SureFire_M6_open.jpg

The M6 in stock form.

SureFire measure the lumens from the light that actually comes out of the front of the lens whereas most other manufacturers measure and advertise their lumens at the bulb. This is why the higher lumen ratings on non-SureFire lights do not appear brighter than SureFires. Example the MN16 rated at 225 lumens in the SureFire M3T is brighter than the 630 lumen HO-R5. They are housed in similar sized reflectors.

The HO-R5 is quite a performer for the money in the Ultrafire WF500 package.

UPDATE: I decided to "play" with the WF500 the other night and when I clicked on the light, no joy! The tailcap did not click in all the way. I opened it up to see if I can fix it, but he cheap soder joint came loose. The switches on lights is the weak link IMHO since it is a moving part. Very disappointed that it went out without warning and only on its first charge too. The Ultrafire batteries got tossed long ago. I guess you do get what you pay for. I was able to get it to light by unscrewing the cap and removing the metal ring, but now it only goes on when screwed in half way. All is not lost, but safe to say I will not be buying fauxations anymore.

Last edited:

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
this page is being saved to a folder on my desktop for future reference. thats sweet. awesome job and thanks for sacrificing your body to the bugs to do this!

EV_007

Enlightened
Nice work.
Thanks for the effort.
Does the P3d R100 look as good as your warm Malkoff in person? I like my Rebel lights for thier warm tints. :twothumbs

The Rebel 100 appears a little bit greener to my eyes compared to the warm version of my M60.

The Rebels have nicer tints in general compared to the other LEDs. They don't seem to put out as much light, but that's not a huge trade off.

EV_007

Enlightened
this page is being saved to a folder on my desktop for future reference. thats sweet. awesome job and thanks for sacrificing your body to the bugs to do this!

All in the name of lumens. :twothumbs

I only had 3 bug bites when all said and done. They buzzed around more than anything else. I tried not to stand still for them either.

digitaldave

Newly Enlightened
THanks for posting these beam shots, I'm sure they will prove a very useful reference point :).

Sadly for me, they have muddled up my Surefire purchasing decision :(. I've been looking at the E1L vs L1, and I thought I'd decided on the E1L, but those beam shots make it look positively anaemic! And it's interesting to see that the E1B is about the same as the L1 - from what I've read, I had the impression that the difference on high between all three isn't that great, but these shots say otherwise.

Regards,

Dave.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Way to go on those photonic shots! :thumbsup:

I tried taking beamshot pictures of my flashlights, but since I'm no photo-graph-er, it didn't come out. . .:shakehead

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow that rebel 100 looks so much better than the Q5, damn anyone know where i can get one or wanting to trade for my Q5

Paul520

Newly Enlightened
Excellent! On your Surefire P60 shot, what was the host?
(ie- Would a 6P look like this?)

Paul520

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot, EV! That is more than I expected at the 50 ft. mark from the 6P. This beginner will be getting one now. And a Lumens Factory upgrade if needed.:twothumbs

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for all the beam shots, very nice work there.

interesting how the M6's 500 lumen lamp killed the Lumen Factory "630 lumen" lamp.

I guess Lumen factory needs to find a more honest way of rating their lamps.

EV_007

Enlightened
thanks for all the beam shots, very nice work there.

interesting how the M6's 500 lumen lamp killed the Lumen Factory "630 lumen" lamp.

I guess Lumen factory needs to find a more honest way of rating their lamps.

Remember, most manufacturers advertise bulb lumens, not torch lumens like SureFire does which actually gets measured after the light is reflected/absorbed by the reflector and lens.

Surefire may even under rate their lumens.The M6 on fresh cells is probably putting out around 650 lumens out the front.
:thumbsup:

Latest posts