Best lumen for the money LEDs

coolwaters

Newly Enlightened
im coming around for my next project.
can someone let me in on the best LED deal?

i was thinking the SSC P4 but did someone find something better?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The cheapest LED that uses the EZ1000 die(the same die used in the Cree XRe and Seoul P4) is the Edison Opto KLC8, $4.34 shipped form DX. The only problem is that it leaves a yellow ring around the hotspot.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
at 1 amp scc p4 is better. and cheaper...
anyone will ever learn, that the model has nothing to do with output? :rolleyes:

the Cree XR-E in its rank "Q5" is the brightest atm, if one wants a P4, than at least an "U"-rank.

PS: search for problems with Seouls and with Crees, then decide again ;)

SemiMan

Banned
The cheapest LED that uses the EZ1000 die(the same die used in the Cree XRe and Seoul P4) is the Edison Opto KLC8, $4.34 shipped form DX. The only problem is that it leaves a yellow ring around the hotspot.

That is the KLC8, not the KLC8-X5 based on the data sheet link on the DX page. This version is not not great at least at guarenteed specs.

You can get Luxeon Rebel 80 lumen (minimum) for $3.74 quantity 1 on Future but I know you can get dinged on shipping for low quantities. They are cheap on a reel. Not showing stock for 90/100s though.

Semiman

daveman

Enlightened
at 1 amp scc p4 is better. and cheaper...
Prove it...

In all the tests that I've seen comparing the P4 U-bin to Cree's Q4 or Q5 bin (they're posted in the LED section), the P4 U-bin have gotten smoked each and everytime. "Even" the Reble 100 from Lumilleds performed better than the Seoul. Seoul specs its LEDs with impressive numbers on paper (some 190 to 240 lumens at 1 amp), but that range is SO HUGE when compared to Cree's binning range (107 to 114 lumens at 350 ma, 200 to 220 at 1 amp, etc...) the consumers, us, just don't know what we're getting for our money; 195 lumens or 235 lumens.