Best P60 dropin

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm waiting on an order from Vinhnguyen. His XML's are all directly soldered to copper. Lot's of single or Multi-mode driver options up to 5.8A/1450 lumens OTE with an XML-T6. And they cost $45-55 bucks!! Can't wait to try one. I have a Triple, but found even the 600-700 lumen XML reflector drop-ins are better throwers by quite a bit. The Triples are fine if you are looking for sub 50 meter performance. I guess I just prefer a hot-spot with my lights. The Triples can take a lot more Turbo-run heat, because the body of the drop-in has a lot more metal/mass than a reflector. I've had quite a few Nailbenders and Malkoffs, but I need something more than "Ordinary" in Performance these days.

Last edited:

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks kengps, it seems like the ones from Vinhnguyen add a different dimension to my dropin world.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...p-in-for-sale-8-18-2012-Price-Drop&highlight=

He offers dropins with moonlight mode! =O They appear to be on the lower end of the pricing spectrum as well. Does anyone know what sort of quality should I be expecting?

It makes reconsider whether I even need to limit myself to just one dropin, as the price of one malkoff equal 2 or even 3 of Vinhnguyen's light especially when considering he offers FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING! =O
This is especially significant when some dealers offer international shipping (outside US) starting from a price of $30+ which is just ridiculous.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's an option for a less expensive but bright Solarforce drop in that is advertised at 820L with 5 modes including strobe, SOS. You can also get it in 3 modes without strobe/SOS too. Its most likely 820 lumens at the emitter, and about 650-700 out the front.

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=RB&s=40&id=470

Here's the same one with the XM-L U2 with 880 lumens: 3 mode version. $16... I'm gonna order one of these soon!

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=RB&s=40&id=492

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
And it lasts as long as $16 will carry you too.
Wrap it in foil or copper tape to help heat escape or before long it eats it's self.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Killed 3 cheap solarforce modules. Drop the light on the floor and magic smoke will appear. If you ask me, solarforce should not be mentioned in a "best p60" thread.

Last edited:

LightJaguar

Enlightened
Solarforce modules are not bad at all for the price. I might burn in hell for saying this but I just took off my M60 off of my Surefire M2 and put in a Solarforce XML P60 module. Much brighter but I'm sure way less reliable. However I do like the brightness and the 3 different levels plus memory. When I bought the M2 I think it came with an XML generic module or a XP-G with 3 levels too. It was wrapped in some copper foil. It was a good module and at the time it replaced my M60. However one time on a foreign Airport security did not want me boarding the plane with my LED light. They pretty much told me to pack it in my documented luggage (pretty much impossible) or throw away the light. I asked them why and they said the LED was the problem. So I opened up my M2 took out the Generic module and it went into the trash. That made them happy. I was so thankful that it was not my M60 that I had to throw away.
Anyways I recently got the Solarforce XML P60 and I like the neutral tint. However a word of caution. The ones that are linked on this page did not fit my black C2 or my HA M2 out of the bag. My buddy took a Dremel to it and shaved off part of the bottom part. I'm thinking about opening mine up and potting this thing. Not sure if wrapping foil on this thing is doable since I already had to shaved some of it off to make it fit.
Anyways the custom stuff and Malkoff are much better. There is a guy at CPF marketplace that is selling some custom built stuff for $25. I paid $18 total for my Solarforce module including shipping.

mebiuspower

Newly Enlightened
The Malkoffs have the best thermal management available, and have lumen outputs and current specs to suit, so they run very reliable and don't overheat.

That's what I love to hear. There has to be a reason why Malkoffs cost so much more and I've never heard a complain about his drop-ins.

I have ordered a M61W and can't wait to get my hands on it. This is my first aftermarket drop-in.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
For sheer output horsepower and flood Kenji (aka kerberos) dropins.

Two on the right are the Kenji's; one quad nichia 219 and one quad XPG topping 1760+ lumens 5.6 amps using 1x18650.

wva3wp.jpg

16k9jld.jpg

27yy17d.jpg

The engineering and reliability is japanese super quality.

Thinking about getting a quad XPG2 next.

About $220 each, express shipped, but they are the best in class with program modes and carclo optics to boot.

His info: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/member.php?104078-kerberos0023

Last edited:

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened

N/Apower

Enlightened
I am a pretty big fan of the EDC Plus drop-in. They don't have the variety of Malkoff, but I like their modules at LEAST as much as the Malkoff modules I have.

Rat6P

Enlightened
I have Malkoff, LumensFactory, Nailbender, and EDC + dropins.
Nil issues with any. All work great.

Latest posts