EDC, EWC, SDC & WDC defined.

tron3

Banned
carrot said:
How about FDC for Formal Dress Carry instead of SDC? SDC sounds too tied to a certain religion that not everybody shares.

Well hey, FDC is more akin to my initials, it would honor me even more. But as the inventor, it's my call. Sunday & Dress Carry it shall remain. More inclusive.

No way I'm getting into this politically correct nonsense! We can't even say Merry Christmas DURING Christmas. I don't want to go off topic and get the thread locked so this will be my only comment.

Why should Christians bow all the time to the whim of other beliefs - even to the point of excluding their own! This is reverse discrimination. One that is cleverly self imposed. How about a little reverse respect for a change?

SDC it was created and SDC it shall stand. Period. Sunday can mean different things to different people, not just church. Many people like to go out on Sunday, and dress accordingly.

Last edited:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
But then when you say something like, "You might like to SDC an EDC (or maybe an L1) where you can't EDC an M6," nobody knows what the heck you are talking about.

TMFA -- too many acronyms, IMHO. YMMV.

Scott

JimmyB

Enlightened
Obviously the following is my opinion only and as a new guy admittedly holds less weight. However, I prefer to use fewer acronyms and abbreviations. Some basic ones are fine but it seems too often posters use acronyms or terms which leave me guessing. I also see people referring to models without using manufactures. M6, L1, L2, and others can have multiple meanings. Someone suggested that acronyms provide quick and concise communication. I would agree with the quick, but would argue that concise is compromised. It doesn't really take that long to type the whole term.

JimmyB

My EDC which is also my ATF is an L1 which I bought at LH w/PP. Just MHO, YMMV.
smile.gif

tron3

Banned
beezaur said:
But then when you say something like, "You might like to SDC an EDC (or maybe an L1) where you can't EDC an M6," nobody knows what the heck you are talking about.

Scott, odd...I just understood what the heck you said.

How can an EDC be an EDC if you don't carry it every day? Maybe we are being anal here. MUST we carry our EDC in "Every DARN Case" like some kind of Flashaholic religion?

I think 3 is enough. EWC, Every Where Carry, including showers, is just a little too weird. Flashaholics are already misunderstood people and we don't need a stigma attached as well. :p :sssh:

EDC - for our general EDC
SDC - for said Sunday and Dress occasions
WDC - For work day carry. Lights you MUST use for work, but maybe not by personal choice.

Last edited:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
tron3 said:
I think 3 is enough. EWC, Every Where Carry, including showers, is just a little too weird.

Then call me Mr Weirdo... :whistle:

haha.. nah, i don't really do tat all the time, but I do carry/wear a light to the shower when there is a storm and I expect a blackout. Although I don't NEED to, it's just an excuse to light up if the blackout hits, and I won't be fumbling around too much and using shampoo as a face wash instead. :D

tron3

Banned
magic79 said:
and we need more acronyms because...? :huh2:

Because EDC is a very broad and inclusive term. The addition of two little acronyms lets a person quickly relay a meaning without having to go into long explanations.

SDC, and WDC are very inclusive, yet broad enough, to set apart the differences in the flashlights we carry. Is you see my other poll of how many EDC-type lights do you carry, only one guy owns just one so far. The majoriity own more.

Not all EDC's are created or used alike. If we are to progress as a forum, we must have uniform terminology.

Maybe your question was tongue in cheek but I had to answer anyways. :bump:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
tron3 said:
Because EDC is a very broad and inclusive term. The addition of two little acronyms lets a person quickly relay a meaning without having to go into long explanations.

SDC, and WDC are very inclusive, yet broad enough, to set apart the differences in the flashlights we carry. Is you see my other poll of how many EDC-type lights do you carry, only one guy owns just one so far. The majoriity own more.

Not all EDC's are created or used alike. If we are to progress as a forum, we must have uniform terminology.

Yes great leader and inventor, pls lead us onward! :knight: (sorry, no better icon :p)

magic79

Enlightened
tron3 said:

It was partially tongue-in-cheek and partially serious. If an acronym communicates better than the phrase (RADAR for example) that's great. But how far do we go here...GLTC, Green Light Tuesday Carry? (definitely tongue-in-cheek).

The other thing is, acronyms are not all that friendly for newbies and can be discouraging.

:poke:

Brangdon

Newly Enlightened
tron3 said:
No, it doesn't. It creates more ambiguity. For example, "work" might be an office job, or it might be clearing forestry.

More importantly, it doesn't convey any meaning at all to newcomers, or to causal vistors who can't remember the acronym. It is a barrier to entry. As is "EDC" itself - I try to spell it out the first time I use it in a post. It's really not that hard to do.

Terminology should be transparent, obvious, clear to newcomers. Please avoid acronyms.

Maybe your question was tongue in cheek but I had to answer anyways.
I'm serious. Of course, it's just my opinion and I'm not anyone special here.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Suggestion

PDC

Personal Day Carry lights that you take with you
when engaging in personal affairs or activities

NDC

Never Day Carry

Lights you just don't or would rarely never carry with you

*Bryan*

Enlightened
I personally think we are discussing way too many acronyms. We have all gotten along so fine with EDC and now it's likely that these terms will even confuse the non-newbies.... Sometimes, less is more.

2 cents..

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread reminds me of when I worked at the Pentagon. One day an air force guy comes up to me and says...
"I just got the CONUS, FIMIR, report from BuPers assigned from HQ and we need to QC this report ASAP before it's delivered to the LT 'cause the whole thing is FUBAR."

That was the day I realized I needed to move on to another job because I understood everything he'd just said. He didn't see the humor in the situation.

tron3

Banned
zespectre said:
This thread reminds me of when I worked at the Pentagon. One day an air force guy comes up to me and says...
"I just got the CONUS, FIMIR, report from BuPers assigned from HQ and we need to QC this report ASAP before it's delivered to the LT 'cause the whole thing is FUBAR."

That was the day I realized I needed to move on to another job because I understood everything he'd just said. He didn't see the humor in the situation.

But he got his point across quickly and easily, right? Guys, I know, sometimes less is more...but we are only talking about 4 acronyms here.

EDC, SDC, WDC, and the sometimes used ENC, Everynight carry. I'll start a new thread to start fresh.

pcmike

Enlightened
:lolsign: I just spit all over my LCD.. :awman: Now I gotta go clean it! :rant: :clap:

By the way, as of today I'll be EDC'ing my EDC from HDS. :naughty:

LEDcandle said:
Yes great leader and inventor, pls lead us onward! :knight: (sorry, no better icon :p)

*Bryan*

Enlightened
zespectre said:

Kinda reminds me of Good Morning Vietnam.
The VP is coming but that is on the QT and we better hurry cause the VP is a VIP or we'll all end up on KP...Soemthing like that but it was funny as hell.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
tron3 said:
But he got his point across quickly and easily, right? Guys, I know, sometimes less is more...but we are only talking about 4 acronyms here.

EDC, SDC, WDC, and the sometimes used ENC, Everynight carry. I'll start a new thread to start fresh.

In my magnificence I felt that another acronym (even more extra special since we already use the initals for an industry established acronym) was needed, CNC or Camoflaged Non Contribution. Since none of you were able to realize that you really needed this term, I Coineth it on your behalf and that it's use might proliferate and my glory grow I hath defineth it in the NFT (New Fresh Thread) that is aforementionedeth....

Last edited:

dim

Enlightened
CQ DX
QRZ?
QSL OM
QTH CPF
HI HI
EDC LX3
SDC X03
QRP RR 2AAA
QSL?