EDC, EWC, SDC & WDC defined.

*Bryan*

Enlightened
:wtf: :help: All these acronyms make it impossible to undertsand. I understand a need for "some" acronyms, but I think it's these are just too much.

I agree it will confuse newbies and stress the need for searching.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
dim,

Morse is one thing, but. . .

My opinion on the use of acronyms in forums is that it should be minimized. I don't like having to constantly try to decopher what someone means. When I hit a certain point I stop reading the post and skip to something intelligible.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Scott

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uhhhhhh,
EDC is understandable... it applies to a light that is always on you if you are wearing clothes. Normally, (for me) it is on my keychain--a Peak Matterhorn 3 LED light.
EWC makes sense but it can be almost as short if you spell it out... say Work ... one more letter but if a person sees this
EDC Peak Ocean AAA
Work Peak Mediterranean 2AA
They know what Work is so it is not hard to understand. Now before we get anal and start listing lights that you have at work (nFlex WX1S 8AA Mag) it can generally be construed to be carried.
EWC is rather odd since most people do not sleep, shower, get surgery etc with a flashlight on. I have worn my EDC on a lanyard 24/7 for five months in the desert but only on those unique occasions. DTG would be more accurate--Dog Tag Carry but it pushes something that is not normally done.
I don't have a SDC since my EDC is my KCL (Key Chain Light), it is strong enough for that use so SDC is interchangable for EDC. Other oddities would be BOL (Black Out Light) BDC (Blood Detection Carry) EUL (Emergency Use Light) CL (Car Light) WL (Weapon Light) HL (Head Light) DL (Dog Light) WPC (Wife's Purse Carry) NSL (Night Stand Light) BPL (Back Packing Light) TL (Tent Lantern) LL (Loaner Light) and my personal favorite ISIOCPFAHTBIDUIBCGROIBIAAFNCL (I Saw It On Candle Power Forums And Had to Buy It Don't Use It But Can't Get Rid Of It Because I Am A Flashaholic Never Carry Light)

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX said:
and my personal favorite ISIOCPFAHTBIDUIBCGROIBIAAFNCL (I Saw It On Candle Power Forums And Had to Buy It Don't Use It But Can't Get Rid Of It Because I Am A Flashaholic Never Carry Light)

Bent, that is an Acronym of exquisite beauty . Absolutely Gorgeous and I bet it just rolls off the tongue as well. Would you post a phoneticly spelled rendition? I believe that most of my lights are of the ISIOCPFAHTBIDUIBCGROIBIAAFNCL variety so I'll find many opportunities to use this. My personal favorite as well! Well done!:goodjob: :crackup:

Oh, it's a joyous experience to pronounce ISIOCPFAHTBIDUIBCGROIBIAAFNCL out loud! I think I'll right it down and stuff it in my wallet for when I need some cheering up :grin2:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, OK... now that you have put up with ISIOCPFAHTBIDUIBCGROIBIAAFNCL there is actually the darkest, deepest, most hideous flashlight of them all. The one (or more!) flashlight(s) that many CPF'ers own but never want to talk about, think about or admit you actually have.

Time to bring the evil flashlight to the surface (whew! My name is Benthead and I am a flashaholic) The truely evil
IWTFSBTMWGMWIPIASWRTIHNUBICEAISSWNLMLIDFTROMLTIHTUIOOTPTHTINATFIBATGTABTBNBTBWBTULSISTPMLSOML

(I Wanted This Flashlight So Bad That My Wife Got Mad When I Purchased It And She Was Right That It Has No Use But I Can't Ever Admit It Since She Will Never Let Me Live It Down For The Rest Of My Life That I Have To Use It On Occasion To Prove To Her That I Need All The Flashlights I Buy Although The Guy That Always Borrows Things But Never Brings Things Back Won't Borrow That Useless Light So I Suffer To Protect My Last Shred Of Manhood Light)

Although the acronym is rather long, it describes my 5D Cyan LuxeonV Mag mod very well... it sure is bright... great for blinding people and beating them with... uhhhh....

Last edited:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gosh, I guess I was wrong to dismiss these concise and convenient classifications of parlance (CCCP) ;)

Here are some more for consideration:

WWF -- work week flashlight
WTC -- want to carry
DC -- duty carry
AC -- always carry
WTF -- work tactical flashlight
NAACP -- not always armed carry for patrol

I'm absolutely sure there are more (ASTM).

Scott

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
At this point I feel it my duty to point out that if you can't pronounce it as a single word then it's not an acronym it's an abbreviation.

SCUBA (skoobah) a pronouncable, single, word and thus an acronym.
EDC (eee-deeee-see) just the letters together not a pronouncable word...an abbreviation.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks zespectre
Athough IWTFSBTMWGMWIPIASWRTIHNUBICEAISSWNLMLIDFTROMLTIHTU IOOTPTHTINATFIBATGTABTBNBTBWBTULSISTPMLSOML is an abbreviation, I would consider it an ambomination at this time.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
A carefully studied EDC set of light will fit be good for Sunday or suite carry, for work, for everything else, anytime and anywhere.
The majority of the persons carries a light following an impulse. Sooner of later, a person will realize the hard way that he carried the wrong light. Like being with a SF G2 during a long blackout in the underground, or replacing a tire with an Arc AAA.
THe best exercize is to find out the set of lights that will fit all dresses, will cover ALL bases of lighting requirement for ALL foreeseable time, and allow some rendundance.
To this basic EDC set, you add specific light for the purpose. Driving at night, I carry an M3T or Z3/KT2 in addition to my basic EDC set. Walking in the evening in the city, I have a G2/6P in addition to the EDC set.
If I am exended periods in the underground, I have a number of Infinities with me... always in ADDITION to my basic set.
And my basic set is U2 - mod KL1 - ArcAAA. This set is wearable in all occasions and cover all the lighting needs, except long distance spotting. Extreme reliability at all temperatures, and water resistance is part of the requirements for EDC. There is no reason to carry a light that you know it will stop operate if it falls off your hands, as an example. To name one, the unmodded Q3.
When you REALLY need a light, you will be glad to have the best of the best with you... if it fails, and they fails, you will feel like a foul... in the dark.

Anthony

*Bryan*

Enlightened
BentHeadTX said:
my personal favorite ISIOCPFAHTBIDUIBCGROIBIAAFNCL (I Saw It On Candle Power Forums And Had to Buy It Don't Use It But Can't Get Rid Of It Because I Am A Flashaholic Never Carry Light)

That's awesome..... :rock: :laughing: You made my day with that one....

carrot

Flashaholic
tron3 said:
SDC it was created and SDC it shall stand. Period. Sunday can mean different things to different people, not just church. Many people like to go out on Sunday, and dress accordingly.
I don't go out at all on Sunday. Sunday is catch-up-on-sleep day.

---

I also agree we should minimize the usage of acronyms. We may get used to it, but it'll turn off newbies. That, and most of those acronyms can be easily said as a modified EDC -- work EDC, formal EDC, etc. Doesn't work quite right if you expand it and say "work every day carry" or "formal every day carry", but most people will be able to get the point. When I first came on CPF I knew what EDC was already -- it is not unknown outside of CPF, and is fairly easy to pick up from context, but WDC and SDC and the others are more specific and thus harder to guess from the context.

I ignored this thread for half a day and now I don't have a clue what all these acronyms being used are. If we stick to a few good acronyms it'll be okay, but it seems to me we are getting carried away making new acronyms without a real reason -- EDC comes up a lot, but the others do not nearly as much, and it's easier to just say "fancy EDC" than "SDC (Sunday & Dress Carry)" to be newbie friendly. The idea wasn't half bad, but I doubt the many of the acronyms being created spontaneously are used nearly enough to warrant needing an acroym for it.

For instance, saying, "my work light is..." works fine, whereas "my WDC is..." requires some explanation.

Is typing a few more letters really that hard? I find that it takes little effort to say a full phrase instead of an acronym that may not be fairly universal. Acronyms that are so often used that they are often lowercase and still understood -- scuba, laser, and then internet acronyms -- lol, lmao, rofl, brb, afaik, iirc, and wtf have pretty much graduated to become words, or at least internet words. These are okay, because they've come into such great usage, but coming up with acronyms with very specific usage that may be used rarely seems pointless to me. Sure, making up acronyms is fun... but will estrange newbies.

Last edited:

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The poll looks like it's speaking for the people. I got a new sig line too.:devil:

*Bryan*

Enlightened
xochi said:
The poll looks like it's speaking for the people. I got a new sig line too.:devil:

I had my wife read all the "DC" threads and we were laughing are butt's off.
That sig line is priceless.

Perfectionist

Enlightened
Personally ...... I'm just looking for my TPF ..... The PERFECT Flashlight :D

An ideal light which could be carried everywhere, in any situation, with the features to cover all possible uses/circumstances ...... which would be ..... :)

1) the size or an ARC AA (maybe a little shorter)
2) runs on any AA battery
3) fully regulated
4) focusable (flood > spot)
5) multi-level brightness including SOS and Strobe etc
6) one button user interface (Photon?) with clicky on the body as opposed to the bottom (PALight?)
7) power in excess of 100 lumens
8) runtime on single Nimh in excess of 2 hours on max, 100 hours on min
9) multi colour beams including IR and UV (colours could be changed by twisting head?)
10 waterproof body made of hard-wearing (but still attractive) material (PALight?)
11) battery charge level meter (similar to the old Duracell batteries?)
12) included and removable belt clip or keychain attachment
13) a dozen embedded Tritium capsules (for easier location in dark .... OK I just love Trit:))
14) costs no more than $50 :)
15) special version made of Sterling Silver .....

Maybe in 5 years using nano-technology I guess :D

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
dim said:
CQ DX
QRZ?
QSL OM
QTH CPF
HI HI
EDC LX3
SDC X03
QRP RR 2AAA
QSL?
QRT

dim
I'm with Lear, I just flashed back to my first Field Day when I was a kid.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck I can think of a few more-

TPTC - Too pretty to carry
RCL - Rarely Carried Light
NCL - Naked Carry Light (light meant to be carried via lanyard around neck to/from the showers, hey no pockets, what you gonna do?