Energizer folding 2 LED light at Target

thelightdude

Newly Enlightened
I was in Target today. The new package is completely different than the one in the above picture. It says premium led Nichia technology on the lower right bottom on the back of the package. It is the same emblem they put on the new led pen light they sell.

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
Probably the second gen has been discontinued for the 3rd (twice as bright) gen. I'd really like to see one of the latest rev. I'll have to make a trip to Target.
They also make a 4 D sized version, in the same case as the 4 D that has two fluorescent tubes.(except the plastic is red instead of green) That one is verly bright, and they claim a 180 hour run time.(Office Depot carries the 4D model.)

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullseye00 said:
Probably the second gen has been discontinued for the 3rd (twice as bright) gen. I'd really like to see one of the latest rev. I'll have to make a trip to Target.
They also make a 4 D sized version, in the same case as the 4 D that has two fluorescent tubes.(except the plastic is red instead of green) That one is verly bright, and they claim a 180 hour run time.(Office Depot carries the 4D model.)

I have the 4D fluoro model, but have never seen even a pic of the 4D led in red plastic. Didn't know they made that; any more info on it? Sounds interesting. Anyone have one?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
That 4D LED must indeed be very bright if its advertised runtime is about the same as the 4AA model. I've not seen this yet, either.

Geoff

thelightdude

Newly Enlightened
It's called the -Energizer Weather Ready LED Folding Area Lantern-.
It says it uses 8 Nichia leds and 4d batteries.
It is listed on the batteries.com site for $24.99

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
Phaserburn, I have one of the 4D red lanterns. It is about as bright on high as the 4D flourescent is on low, but I'm sure it has a substantially with a longer run time. Even on low it's still bright enough to light a decent sized living room fairly well. The exact same case as the flourescent, with a larger version of the diffuser tubes used in the 4AA folding lantern. I have not done a time trial and don't have any numerical stats. I've seen it in Office Depot for about $25. Is there anything else you'd like to know about it?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, thanks. What leds is it using (and how many) to achieve as much light as a single 4W fluoro tube? The Fluoro is pretty bright in total output. Considering the Fluoro version is under $15, I am curious as to what make this red one go. You'd need plenty of 5mm leds or more than one luxeon (if underdriven, as these would have to be to achieve the rated runtimes) to approach fluoro output.

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
Energizer's site is annoying. Some stuff is so easy to get to, other stuff you simply can't find.
There are 8 5mm LEDs, two at the top and bottom of each diffuser tube. The packaging says that they're Nichia. If the run time data on the packaging is accurate the LED lantern gives you double the run time for about the same amount of light.(LED's high mode vs. flourescent's low mode) I've found that Energizer's stated run times generally tend to be on the conservative side.
I've included some links below. The pictures in the first two links clearly show flourescent tubes, though the packaging states that it's an LED lantern. The 3rd link is a better picture, showing the diffuser tubes.

http://www.batteries.com/productprofile.asp?appid=383243&CMP=KNC-NT
http://www.batteries.com/FullSizePic.asp?appid=383243

http://www.servicelighting.com/catalog_product.cfm?prod=EF01849

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
Oops! I just found the cardboad insert that came with my 4D LED lantern, and it looks like I have the Pre-Nichia model, listing a 245 hour run time. So the current(Nichia) model is probably brighter(than mine) in relation to the 4D flourescent.

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I really like that light! Price is steep compared to the fluoro version, though. Wonder when they will hit Walmart etc and for how much! With shipping, this will be in the 30 range right now. Still, I'd like to get one.

Thanks for the info Bullseye. What makes you think there's a different version with Nichia leds (re: what makes you think yours doesn't have them)? If this light is brand new, which it looks to be, than it would be awfully quick to have more than one version.

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
Phaserburn, re: What makes you think there's a different version with Nichia leds - My packaging looks completely different than what is out there currently, doesn't say anything about Nichia LEDs and lists a different run time. Maybe they did more testing and decided to revise their original run time for a more conservative one, or maybe they just decided to chage the packaging. It has only been a few months since I got mine, so maybe they didn't actually change the product. I may get another and compare them.(I wouldn't mind having two anyway.) ;)

jar3ds - It looks like there's a Nichia version of the 2 LED 4AA lantern. We think it's the pre-Nichia version that is being discontinued.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked one up a few months ago. As stated earlier in this thread it is a great little packing/tent light as well as a great light for power outages. I have the Nichia version and it works reasonably well- I can read by it in my tent, for example.

Also, I picked up a 3AAA MMLED at Home Depot this weekend for less than $20... I like the output. It'll be a good light to keep in the car or as a backup light when out on the trails.

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
Chronos, do they still claim a 200+ hour run time?(I have actually verifed this w/ the old version. You do get over 200 hours with good alkaline batteries)

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullseye00,

I think that is what it said on the packaging. I haven't run it anywhere near 200 hours, but I haven't swapped out the batteries yet. It usually sits in my backpack, and I test it out each time I go for a hike. I'd say I've got around 30 hours on it, max.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked it up at the Target in Gaithersburg, MD a couple months ago. There were two on the peg, so I bought one for me and one for a buddy.