Fenix P2D OR P3D

If you had to pick one?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I'd have to say my P2D-CE which is now my EDC. Great size, regulated, multiple output levels...

Having said that, I'm ordering a P3D as well.

Nathan

Enlightened
GarageBoy said:
what about P1D CE with the leef body?

I prefer this combination over the P2D or P3D. The Leef has a forward clickie and there's no need to twist the bezel to change modes. It also adds a little a little length to the P1D so it's easier for me to handle.

Nathan

Enlightened
GarageBoy said:
Which one is brighter though, the P1D CE or P2D

They both have the same maximum of 135 lumens.

The P1D CE levels are:
72 lumens (2.8hrs) -> 135 lumens (1hrs) -> 12 lumens (21hrs) -> Strobe -> SOS

P2D:
• General Mode: 9 lumens (30hrs) -> 40 lumens (5.5hrs) -> 80 lumens (2hrs) -> SOS
• Turbo Mode: 135 lumens (1hrs) -> Strobe

Learjet

Enlightened
My P3D CE arrived today. LED is nicely centred and beam fairly smooth. To the eye the beam looks very nice white. Different to my P2D though, it looks to be tinted ever so slightly green by comparison. Still very acceptable to me.

The P3D is slightly brighter, as it should be, but not as much as I thought it would be.

The P2D remains my favourite. It's nearly as bright, but smaller and lighter to carry. The only disadvantage is runtime.

P3D CE left, P2D CE right. Camera white ballance set to "daylight".

Both set to low.
compare4qp4.jpg

Both set to turbo. Notice colour tint change. Edit, that may be the camera as there was a break between shots even though the camera was set to daylight both times.
compare5nt9.jpg

Last edited:

Krit

Enlightened
If we can upgrade reflect to ROP for smooth beam, it will be my good EDC light.

Learjet

Enlightened
I have a quirk with my P2D. When set to start on low it briefly flashes bright just for a fraction of a second. I thought this was normal until I got my P3D which doesn't do it. Anyone else have a brief flash on low?

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my P3D for a few days now. I guess the only reason I selected it was for the added runtime. Being a bit brighter is ok too...although not much. You gotta love the P2D for form factor though. If someone told you ten years ago that you would have a tiny 6 mode light running on one cell that can do what the P2D does....they'd have laughed you off the planet....amazing

Nathan

Enlightened
Learjet said:
I have a quirk with my P2D. When set to start on low it briefly flashes bright just for a fraction of a second. I thought this was normal until I got my P3D which doesn't do it. Anyone else have a brief flash on low?

My P1D CE does this when I cycle through to low. I can actually see it become dimmer. Doesn't bother me at all.

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like the P3D more than my P2D, because the P2D is not as bright is my P1D . Even though there the same my P1D is brighter.

Gointothelight

Newly Enlightened
The P2D is quickly becoming my favorite light to keep in a coat pocket BUT if I were going camping there is no question the P3D would be my constant companion.

I heard such bad things about the P3D that I ordered several hoping that I'd get one good one out of the bunch... they were all good and I'm keeping them all. This is the perfect light to keep in an emergency pack or in first aid or dissaster kits; it's compact, super bright, has multiple levels and options for extremely looooong runtimes.

A pocket light is a great thing to have just in case something happens... but if something has happened or is very likely to happen, you'll need power and runtime options built into a single package.

A blazing light that lasts 30 minutes is a lot of fun to have but won't help you much after a hurricane, nor will a cr2-ion, even with a cree mod, (my favorite pocket light) but the P3D will with options ranging from a scorching bright light to a long lasting milder beam only a couple of clicks away. With a couple of extra batteries this light could serve you well for several days or longer... can't ask for much more than that.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
P2D here. Plenty bright for almost everything (in fact, it is scary bright compared to the pre-Cree days), but still very small for belt carry.

The small size gives me more room to carry other EDC items. I am very much into small EDC items that pack a big punch.

yo

Delta

Enlightened
Gointothelight said:
I heard such bad things about the P3D that I ordered several hoping that I'd get one good one out of the bunch... they were all good and I'm keeping them all.

How does your wife handle that logic? If I ordered several of one thing in hopes that ONE would be good...then they were all good and I kept them...my wife would have my head on a stick. The old "I traded Mike something for this" -or- "I sold some stuff on eBay" excuses couldn't even save me.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm a run-time guy, so for the length of one more 123...I have to go with the P3D

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
im thinking about buying a P3d ce to replace my surefire G2 w/ p-61
however my P2D ce takes care of everything, although i want a light for my pouch, and since this is more power and better on batteries, its a logical choice for a GS or 6P replacement.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I really want to know is this: How much longer is the P3D runtime vs the P2D x 2? The x2 represents using 2 cells one after the other.