First Impressions Fenix TK45 ( Production Model )

Scuderia

Newly Enlightened
wow, great review! :party:

Thank you.

According to selbuilt's review R4 version puts out more lumens than Catapult (rated as 1000lm), M2C4 (rated as 900 lumens) and others. Production version with R5 should be even few percent's brighter.

I hope the following picture will help. I've did some ceiling bounce shots in a controlled environment. This is the only layman method I know to determine output. Camera set to manual exposure on tripod with torches at a fixed angle.
Image00001-6.jpg

TOP LEFT: TK45 TOP RIGHT: TK40 BOTTOM LEFT: CAT V1 BOTTOM RIGHT: RRT3

Subject: El Cheapo 10440 light
Please note that its slightly over saturated after my RAW file conversion.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
According to selbuilt's review R4 version puts out more lumens than Catapult (rated as 1000lm), M2C4 (rated as 900 lumens) and others. Production version with R5 should be even few percent's brighter.

Then I hope somebody sends a TK45 to BigC for testing! I've been waiting to break to the 1000 lumen barrier for too long now.

The SR90 looks like Paul Bunyan's flashlight. It's just wrong.

Last edited:

Scuderia

Newly Enlightened
Then I hope somebody sends a TK45 to BigC for testing! I've been waiting to break to the 1000 lumen barrier for too long now.

The SR90 looks like Paul Bunyan's flashlight. It's just wrong.

I don't think the TK45 can hit 1K. Even at the rated lumens of 1200, the RRT-3 barely makes it into the 1K mark IMO.

SR90= Paul Bunyan :crackup:

Scuderia

Newly Enlightened
Sorry about off-topic, but can you tell something more about this little light that looks like Maratac AAA in red HA ? :popcorn:

I'm not sure if you can find it in your country, its a twisty ILite Keychain light with reversible clip. Got it for approx 19.90 USD excluding shipping. Its currently my shirt pocket light. Running it with 10440 is crazy bright. Please refer to the specs below

LED: Cree XPE R2

Battery Type: 1x AAA Battery

3 Mode Output: (on normal AAA) 1.5lu @ 50hrs, 18lu @ 4hrs, 90 lu @ 55 Mins

3 Mode Output: (on Lithium AAA) Max 200lu

Length: 66.5mm

Diameter: 14mm

Weight: 9g ( without batts )

Colors: Red , Blue , Black.

PM me if you're interested.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't think the TK45 can hit 1K. Even at the rated lumens of 1200, the RRT-3 barely makes it into the 1K mark IMO.

SR90= Paul Bunyan :crackup:

I didn't think so either but the review suggests it might.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Wait, I'm confused. So if I use 8x Eneloops, am I supposed to go near 1000 lumens on the TK45?

You can not really trust the specified lumen for different lights, some are OTF other are emitter and they might be more or less optimistic.

CyberCT

Enlightened
You can not really trust the specified lumen for different lights, some are OTF other are emitter and they might be more or less optimistic.

I thought the test above measured OTF lumens, and more than factory rated. That's why I'm confused and asking.

To the original reviewer, can you do some distance beam shot comparisons between the TK40 and TK45? I like the TK40 but like others have said I really wish it had more flood.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I thought the test above measured OTF lumens, and more than factory rated. That's why I'm confused and asking.

It does, but why do you expect Cat II to produce 1000 OTF lumen?
It is around 600 lumen!

To the original reviewer, can you do some distance beam shot comparisons between the TK40 and TK45? I like the TK40 but like others have said I really wish it had more flood.

In my next beamshot with big lights I will include TK40, TK45 and Cat II, but I have no schedule for that yet.

jbay

Newly Enlightened
To the original reviewer, can you do some distance beam shot comparisons between the TK40 and TK45? I like the TK40 but like others have said I really wish it had more flood.[/QUOTE]

You will find some comparison beam shots of the TK40 and TK45 at both these web sights.
I have a TK40 but the TK45 is quite impressive also .

http://fonarik.com/test/indexen.php
and
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/270901

recDNA

Flashaholic
Do you agree that the TK45 outthrows the TK40? I had heard that it is more of a flood light with less throw.

CyberCT

Enlightened
Wow. After looking at those two sights above I'm very impressed. I might have to pick this light up.

Scuderia

Newly Enlightened

You will find some comparison beam shots of the TK40 and TK45 at both these web sights.
I have a TK40 but the TK45 is quite impressive also .

http://fonarik.com/test/indexen.php
and
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/270901

I would love to help, but I think the guys in Russia beat me to it. They did a excellent job in the tunnel. :thumbsup:

Do you agree that the TK45 outthrows the TK40? I had heard that it is more of a flood light with less throw.

The TK45 does not outthrow the TK40, they have very similar throw distances. TK45 has a brighter spill around the hotspot but not necessarily outhrowing the TK40 IMO.

CyberCT

Enlightened
Have you by chance left it on in turbo mode until the batteries died? How hot did the head actually get? I ask because the product description says the head design will allow turbo mode to be on without overheating or getting too hot.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I would love to help, but I think the guys in Russia beat me to it. They did a excellent job in the tunnel. :thumbsup:

The TK45 does not outthrow the TK40, they have very similar throw distances. TK45 has a brighter spill around the hotspot but not necessarily outhrowing the TK40 IMO.

Still can't use L91's right?

We need someone to measure lux and lumens of the production model

Last edited:

CyberCT

Enlightened
Have you by chance left it on in turbo mode until the batteries died? How hot did the head actually get? I ask because the product description says the head design will allow turbo mode to be on without overheating or getting too hot.

Besides this question, have you put the light down and taken a walk from a little of a distance from it? Does the head look like 3 lights next to eachother or just one bright light?

Scuderia

Newly Enlightened
Still can't use L91's right?

We need someone to measure lux and lumens of the production model

Checked with the Fenix Distributor, they don't recommend the usage of Lithiums. Might damage the emitter in long run.

edit: just got a confirmation from fenix factory, lithiums are not permitted for TK45. the extra voltage will fry the emitter.

Nice Pics Scuderia - Thanks

Thanks

Besides this question, have you put the light down and taken a walk from a little of a distance from it? Does the head look like 3 lights next to eachother or just one bright light?

One bright light at 20ft. Will be able to see 3 lights as you go nearer.

Last edited: