Gerber LX 3.0 Versus Streamlight Jr. Luxeon

MrMom

Enlightened
I only use NiMh in my SL Jr.

IMHO the SL Jr. is the best bang for the buck for purchase price and feeding costs using NiMh's.

A tailcap push button light is quick to deploy. Fumbling with a twist cap slows you down.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MrMom said:
I only use NiMh in my SL Jr.

IMHO the SL Jr. is the best bang for the buck for purchase price and feeding costs using NiMh's.

A tailcap push button light is quick to deploy. Fumbling with a twist cap slows you down.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sentiments exactly... I run mine also on NiMH's and with the 2500mAH Energizers I picked up at WallyWorld it greatly increases the runtime over the Alkalines...

Glenn

Enlightened
My Son has a SL Jr that I gave him that he runs HARD on NMh.
He has to charge them 2-3 X a week he uses it so much.
He is a mechanic.

The only complaint he has is that using it with the NMh cells is there is NO WARNING when they are about to expire. They keep in regulation until they can no longer run on them. The light being regulated plus the flat discharge of the NMh is what is the cause I am guessing.

HE REALLY LIKES IT !
He just has to be sure to carry a backup light/spare batteries.

Glenn

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how the UK 4AA eLED would work for this use. It will have longer runtime, should work fine on Nimh's, and should be plenty durable. Also it is shorter than the 3AA models so should fit in a pocket a little easier.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think a UK eLED would be almost completely washed out by the usual lights around the garage. all but maybe the smallest little spot @ least. maybe it'd do okay working underneath vehicles, but anything on the topside you can probly get better lighting from a CCFL or flourescent light.

Brooks

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
manhong said:
I am looking to purchase a flashlight in the next month or two. I am currently deciding between the Gerber LX 3.0 and the Streamlight Jr. Luxeon. I have read the reviews on both flashlights (on www.flashlightreviews.com) and now undecided on which one to buy. I was hoping that the users here could help me decide. Basically, the flashlight will be used for general lighting purposes and looking beneath cars when they are hoisted on a hydraulic lift. Any input is greatly appreciated. If you have any other suggestions on other flashlights that I might be interested in, I am definitely willing to consider other products. I was hoping that the flashlight would use AA or AAA batteries (to keep costs down) and that the flashlight can preferably use rechargeable batteries.

[/ QUOTE ]

I own both lights. If I were choosing just one I would choose the Gerber for best overall light output.

gvmelbrty

Newly Enlightened
I own both and I think you should just buy both too, but ultimately, I think you will prefer the SL Jr Lux for its everyday ease of use.

Although I like my Gerber LX 3.0, it's a little too heavy to carry around in the front pockets of my overalls and the extra weight causes it to be slightly annoying in the side-leg tool pocket as well (though the Gerber's extra length makes it easier to "draw" from that location). The Gerber is built like a tank, but I feel the extra weight is overkill.

And as was said by others, the Gerber's twist-on tail cap slows me down and requires that I use two hands to turn it on (though by backing off the tail cap by 1/10th-a-turn, you can use the Gerber in momentary-on mode). I much prefer the Jr's one-handed clickie (although I think mine is a little too hard to depress).

The SL will just suddenly go out on you when the batteries get weak, so I feel the need to carry extra AAs in case that happens. The Gerber just gets slowly dimmer, so you know when it's getting time to carry spare batteries or when to just replace them.

Another thing, I use my lights at work and the silver-colored Gerber is now covered with embedded dirt/oil stains and has lost some of its original beauty - if that matters to you (I could try washing it I suppose). Because the SL is black, it hides the dirt and still looks fairly new (but with a few nicks).

One of my SL Jr Lux's has developed spider web cracks all over the reflector surface. It doesn't appear to have adversely effected the beam so far, but I may make a warranty claim in the future. The Gerber has a little battery rattle which harms its sturdy feel (you could easily line the battery tube with something to get rid of it though). If the SL Jr. has some battery rattle, you can just screw-down the click switch a little tighter to get rid of it.

The Gerber is brighter, and once in a while that comes in handy, but when I grab a light on the go, I always grab the SL.

-gvmelbrty

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my JR LUX a lot and what I do to avoid being left out in the dark so to speak is I change out my 2500mAH NiMH's every couple of days whether they need it or not and if I am running my 1600mAH NiMH's I will change them out the very next day. Running 2500mAH NiMH's one should get over 3 hours of continous regulation. I would think that would be more than enough working in a shop cause I wouldn't think that you would have a need to run it continous, or would you???

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I worked in a garage this kind of light would only be used occasionally, probably for less than an hour per day. Most of the time we used bigger corded lights that provide flood. Occasionally when you need to see down in a tiny dark space you need a pinpoint light which is what I would use the SL Jr. Lux. for. (Now I wonder if an Inova X1 would do that.)

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bjn70 said:Occasionally when you need to see down in a tiny dark space you need a pinpoint light which is what I would use the SL Jr. Lux. for. (Now I wonder if an Inova X1 would do that.)

[/ QUOTE ]
The X1 actually does excels for that- it doesn't splash a lot of light to the periphery and allows you to shoot a narrow beam of light through a maze of stuff to light up only the area of interest.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Kodiak's question, I got my SL JR from the FireStore.com for $25, but they've since gone up. They're at Botac for $25, I think, but I remember negative comments about Botac on CPF. Strobe-Direct.com has them for around $27.77. Anyone had any experience with Strobe-Direct? Also, BrightGuy at $30 has tip-top customer service.