Gerber LX 3.0 vs. Streamlight Luxeon Jr

cognitivefun

Enlightened
Okay, now I have both. I have BTM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The LX3 has *a lot* more light, IMHO, including more throw and a wider beam than Jr. here. Jr. is great because of size (almost a penlight), but LX3 lights up the joint a lot better.

I am eager to walk the dog tonight with LX3.

thanks for the tip on momentary activation.

BTW, the other thing I love about the LX3 is that it makes a handy baton in event of trouble. It is a solid light that could easily be employed to discourage someone who would be making trouble. Not something to be discounted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am also eager to test out NiMH batteries in the Gerber.

Question: lithium batteries okay or not okay? I read a post that said not okay but can find no manufacturer documentation to that effect.

Raven

Enlightened
Yes, but since the LX3 is unregulated, it will only be brighter than the JR for a short period of time, correct?

Longbow

Enlightened
Raven, the LX3.0 will remain brighter than the Jr. constantly if they are both run constantly. However if the LX3.0 is on first, it will remain brighter (considerably) than the Jr. for about 2 hr.

Longbow

Enlightened
If a Jr. is brighter than a LX3.0 it is because either the Gerber has used-up batteries or has a warranted defect.

Raven

Enlightened
I'm going to buy a Gerber, but I still don't understand why it isn't regulated. Extra cost to manufacture?

Longbow

Enlightened
Regulation uses/wastes 10 to 35 percent of the available battery energy in order to provide longer non- dimming light output. It does increase manufactoring cost. It also introduces more chance for failure due to the increased component count and assembly operations. Many unregulated lights give a long span of high output befor noticeably dimming. About two hr. for the Gerber LX3.0.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
who needs regulation if you can use rechargable NiMH batteries?

I am still wondering if lithium batteries are okay, as that would be ideal for a Gerber that is to be left in the car...

cognitivefun

Enlightened
walked the dog tonight...the Gerber is way brighter than the SL Jr. by a longshot. Great throw and good spill, excellent white color. A magnificent light.