Gladius VS Surefire L6?

Toecutter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies..

So the L6 has more spill than the Gladius?
I thought the L5/L6 beams wer pretty tight as it was. The Gladius must way tighter...

Not really into all the stuff the Gladius does, I just want a beam with good throw and good spill..More like an incan bulb..

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L5 and L6 lights have tighter beams than a L4, but the hotspots are still rather big and the throw reduced compared to a LuxIII. It's the nature of the beast - multiple emitters are harder to focus than a single emitter, which means that you're going to get less throw regardless of how it's packaged, unless you've got a reflector or optic which takes all that into design. The Gladius' spot isn't bad, but its throw is superior to that of pretty much any LuxV light I can think of.

If you want good throw and spill without a lot of extras, maybe you should get a McLux PD. Otherwise, if you don't mind a big head and want maximum throw with some spill, try the Aleph 3 head on a 2x123 body and a LuxIII. The Gladius has some spill, though it'll be tighter than the L5 to some degree.

seattlite

Enlightened
I have a Lux V/VXOS/BB750 in an Aleph 1, and I think it has a darn good combination of throw, spill, and "pocketablity"(with a 1xRCR123).

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The L6 has a big hotspot and a bright but relatively tight (big reflector) corona, whereas a 27mm/LuxIII combo (Gladius) will have a needle-like hotspot and a relatively big but weak corona. This means that the corona of the L6 will "throw" further than the one of the Gladius being more useful at medium distances while the Gladius still wins hands down in the throw department of the hotspot.
bernie

Toecutter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies..

The Gladius does not sound like what I want in an LED light.

I'm not really into all the features it has, especially if the beam is so tight..

Led's with lots of throw, but limited spill aren't my thing. I don't believe in LED's for throw as they can't punch through ambient light and while the beam reaches the target, it really doesn't light it up as an incandescent does..

L6 it is.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eh, you'd be surprised with regards to throw in an LED if you would but use a LuxIII in an Aleph 3 head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It'll shine out to medium-long distances the way a Stinger or several other 'duty' incandescents will. Again, ask yourself what you're using this for - if you need reach beyond 50 feet, the L6 won't do it for you either, and it's not as good a flooder as either an L4 or an Aleph 3/LuxV combo.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The Gladius' spill isn't "limited", it is rather huge in fact, but compared to the L6's spill it is weak ... making it a poorer choice for medium distance illumination of larger areas.
BUT ... a 27mm LuxIII beam is still one of the best around, we're being quite critical and sophisticated here.

Some "reality shots:

A 27mm light LuxIII driven at 917mA which should be a bit less than the Gladius' power rating:
rl_led_08_prt_TWAK_917.jpg

SF L6:
rl_led_14_l6.jpg

SF L4:
rl_led_06_l4.jpg

So ... you see the difference. Let me tell you though that there is a huge corona with the 27mm, but it is too weak to make it on the picture. With your eyes however, it is still usable at this distance. albeit less so than the corona of the L6.

bernie

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
how many feet does the beam throw?

I saw the beamshot of gladius but I am still uncertain how far did the gladius beam throw in distance. I am interest in distance over 250ft. I am sure that it is very bright light.

Latest posts