Good Macaroni & Cheese recipes?

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mac and Cheese anyone

Cook the macaroni with salt in the water 8-10 minutes. No more.
I use Velveeta cheese cut into small chunks, and butter. Put it in the pan with the macaroni and cover with the lid until it melts.
Put it back on low heat, and milk for consistancey, stirring constantly until all ingrediants are melted, and it is the color, and taste you want. You can add more cheese, milk or butter, but you can't take it out. Salt, and Pepper to taste. This will thicken as it cools, but if you save the leftovers you can always reheat with a little more milk.

Want to talk tomato soup, and grilled cheese? I have got that one down to perfection!

Radio

Modulated Moderator

Buy Annie's Mac-N-Cheese, all natural, best tasting ever, the one in the purple box with the bunny on it. Think it says Shells and white cheddar, you won't be sorry.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mothers are a great invention. My mom made the best. I just buy the kit, because I'm too lazy.

I think my mother switched from Velveeta to cheddar.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

Like Radio said, I'll second the Annie's.

Actually, I don't like others but my family does (Stouffer's, Howard Johnson's, and Kraft)

There's something about the tangy flavor of the dried mac & cheese. I think it's super sharp cheddar that does it, but if you're making the mac & cheese from scratch yourself you'd probably need to blend a cheddar with something soft-tasting like a Meunster or Monterey Jack, don't you think? Maybe a Provolone is a good in-between if you're too busy to blend 'em. You could try that. Oh, and definitely use the full-fat versions to get the richness.

What have you tried so far for recipes?

Last edited:

roguesw

Enlightened

thanks guys for all the helpfull advice, note to self, must try different cheeses
binky i have tried kraft and leonardo box varients
my own recipe so far has only involved using cheddar cheese and butter and milk, again, adding each ingredient to taste.
i will try differenty cheeses, i can get monterey jack cheese and some of you mentioned the tangy taste of the box versions, i thought i could use a spicy cheese, something like smoked cheese.

will have to go shopping this weekend and come up with something, maybe a mac and cheese with 3 cheese combination.
thanks guys

yes, i do love my mum's recipe but she adds some different spices into her mac and cheese recipes which i forgot now. have to ask her again.
Thanks a bunch guys
Cheers
Des

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can check Foodtv.com for recipes. Also, on the side of the bag of the elbow noodles, there is often a good recipe.

Eric_M

Enlightened

1/2 pound elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon powdered mustard
3 cups milk
1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 large egg
12 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh black pepper
Topping:
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup panko bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente.
While the pasta is cooking, in a separate pot, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and mustard and keep it moving for about five minutes. Make sure it's free of lumps. Stir in the milk, onion, bay leaf, and paprika. Simmer for ten minutes and remove the bay leaf.
Temper in the egg. Stir in 3/4 of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Fold the macaroni into the mix and pour into a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
Melt the butter in a saute pan and toss the bread crumbs to coat. Top the macaroni with the bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for five minutes before serving.

Sixpointone

Enlightened

Annie's definitely makes some real good Macaroni and Cheese. To add a little more taste, when it is completed, you can always add grated cheese.

YAK-28

Enlightened
here's mom's simple one-
1lb elbow macs
1lb velveeta cheese
1stick butter
cut up chunks of cheese and butter, combine in dish or pan, add milk halfway up the dish or pan and bake at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes.

looking for a bigger pan, that 18quart cooker pan just isn't big enough..

Donovan

Enlightened
What about the oddtodd.com's famous comfort food; Cheezy Tuna Surprise?
(if you haven't seen oddtodd before definitely check it out!!! www.oddtodd.com click on watch cartoons)

Cap'n Todd's
Cheezy Tuna Suprise

Mix it up.... it's good!

`

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Made Alton Brown's recipe (as posted by Eric - thank you!) again tonight - GREAT M&C!!

Still looking for the ultimate though! (and the one as posted by Eric is pretty darned good - I'd say some of the best I've ever had!!)

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like this, first, take a bunch of cheese and melt them. then cook your macaronis till it is very soft. then, using paper towels, quickily drain most of the water out of them. pour the macaronis into the melted cheese, sprinkle some good amount of salt into the mixture. now, reheat the mixture to melt the cheese again! now pour onto a plate and dig in with a spoon!

you make bake th thing a little of the nice crispy skin effect.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
8 oz. elbows or rottini
8 oz. extra sharp cheddar
15 oz. can of stewed tomatoes
1/4 cup of milk
2 tbs. butter
bread crumbs

This recipe is probably different from any other Mac & Cheese you've seen before. It's not creamy, coming out of the caserole dish in chunks. My kids, and the neighborhood kids, couldn't get enough. Had to fight for my share. :)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Put salted water on stove, in a large non-stick pot, bringing to a rolling boil. While the water is being heated, spray a light coating of PAM in a 2 quart caserole bowl. Open can of stewed tomatoes and pour into a large bowl. Quarter the slices of stewed tomatoes, and then add milk and butter.

Now the water is boiling, put in the elbows and bring back to boil. Set timer for 6 minutes, and then put the bowl of stewed tomatoes in the microwave for 5 minutes on high. Now, grate the extra sharp cheddar cheese into a large bowl, while the elbows and tomatoes are cooking. Set aside about an ounce of the grated cheese. Now the elbows and stewed tomatoes are done.

Drain the elbows and put them back in the large pot (DO NOT RINSE). Dump the grated cheese in the pot with the elbows. Now, pour in the stewed tomatoes. Elbows and stewed tomatoes need to be HOT! Stir, and then pour into the 2 quart caserole dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top, and the extra sharp chedder, that was set aside, next. Cover and bake on the lower shelf of the oven, for about 40-45 minutes.

You can substitute chunky salsa for the stewed tomatoes. I like to use rainbow rottini, when using chunky salsa. Corn chip crumbs, instead of bread crumbs.

oldgrandpajack