Good news this year ?

Poppy

Flashaholic
Sounds great scout!

From the hectic commute to NYC, to living in the burbs watching chickens laying eggs! Beautiful!!! :)

BTW your sky might be dark enough to catch a couple of shooting stars tonight.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
OK folks, if we could align more to the topic at hand; am particularly interested in the public good news out there, that resonates with our members. :)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe even a Jurassic park ? ;)

He is clear that he wants to move to Greenland, so got to be cool-weather critters... Arctic fox he wants to have. (Am I speaking like Yoda?)

From GlobalGoodNews.com:

The risk for a person to develop dementia over a lifetime is now 13 percent lower than it was in 2010. Incidence rates at every age have steadily declined over the past quarter-century.

Exploding stars created the calcium in our bones and teeth, study says
5 August 2020 - The calcium in our bones and teeth likely came from stars exploding in supernovas and scattering this mineral across the universe in massive quantities, according to a new study. In fact, half of the calcium in the universe likely came from calcium-rich supernovae.

In New Zealand, life is ordinary again after 101 days with no community spread
10 August 2020 - New Zealand has now gone 101 days without any community transmission of the coronavirus, and life in the country has largely returned to normal

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
He is clear that he wants to move to Greenland, so got to be cool-weather critters... Arctic fox he wants to have. (Am I speaking like Yoda?)

From GlobalGoodNews.com:

The risk for a person to develop dementia over a lifetime is now 13 percent lower than it was in 2010. Incidence rates at every age have steadily declined over the past quarter-century.

Exploding stars created the calcium in our bones and teeth, study says
5 August 2020 - The calcium in our bones and teeth likely came from stars exploding in supernovas and scattering this mineral across the universe in massive quantities, according to a new study. In fact, half of the calcium in the universe likely came from calcium-rich supernovae.

In New Zealand, life is ordinary again after 101 days with no community spread
10 August 2020 - New Zealand has now gone 101 days without any community transmission of the coronavirus, and life in the country has largely returned to normal

CSNY, "Woodstock": "We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon,
And we got to get ourselves back to the garden."

markr6

Flashaholic
We're getting a Trader Joe's in town. I don't know anything about them but I hear good things. Hard to get me excited though because all I care about is that the shelves are stocked with Cheez Its, Extra Toasty. And the 9 other things I buy over and over. Talk about boring.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
CSNY, "Woodstock": "We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon,
And we got to get ourselves back to the garden."

Very cool. (CSNY stands for the music band "Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young" for all you whipper-snappers)

It's curious about Trader Joe's: Some people don't like it, but there are plenty of 'health food' cheez-its options, really; just as empty (or sufficient) of nutrition yet tasty good. Our store is virtually always crowded in the parking lot. The cookie section is stellar. Look above the frozen foods. If the prices look high to you, just breeze on over to the nearest Whole Foods, and you will see really high prices; interesting expensive food.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Getting a Trader Joes is good news? I guess it depends on your finances, and lifestyle.

I found it amazing that at the Trader Joes near me, there would be a line of 15-30 people standing in the hot sun, properly spaced out, waiting to get into the store after it reached capacity.
Yet, One mile East there is a huge Shop Rite with no line, and a Stop and Shop 1/2 mile West, again, no line.

I've been in there a few times and it was too expensive for my blood. I can see the attraction for some, though. For those who want to cook, but don't have time to prep the food, it can certainly be a time saver. There, one may buy peeled and spirilized vegetables, or pre-seasoned chicken in small portions (one or two servings). Probably a variety of veggie burgers, and meatballs spiced differently.

So the meals will be tasty and healthy, and the type that you can pop into the oven, throw into the steamer, or frying pan and be ready to eat in twenty minutes.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was a good day for gun owners in California today. A law that retroactively made gun owners criminals for legally purchasing gun magazines was declared unconstitutional. I don't care what your stance on guns is, no state should be able to pass an ex post facto law against a particular group (a bill of attainder) to take away a constitutional right. Glad to see the state lose that case. It's a good day for all Americans when our rights are affirmed by the courts. It's a step in the right direction to getting our freedoms back. I'm much happier to see that law abiding citizens will no longer be marked as criminals (this is more important to me) than I am about what this means for our gun rights going forward.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] no state should be able to pass an ex post facto law against a particular group (a bill of attainder) to take away a constitutional right.[...]
While I do agree with you for the most part, my understanding that the more egregious 'ex post facto' portion that you reference had already been blocked by a District Court judge (& was upheld); what was overturned today was the more established 'new owner' prohibition w/ grandfather clause.

At any rate, this being good news I'd rather not exclude it for now; however, I would please ask that further discussion on this charged topic be directed to the Underground.

Thank you all for your understanding,

Last edited:
We reside in Pierce County, and I recently read that the PC Sherriff's department is going to hire 25 more deputies. Most likely, due to a $10,000 signing bonus offered to lateral transfers, all of the new hires will be experienced officers, previously employed by the Seattle Police Department.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
More good news that all of us can appreciate:
CandlePowerForums has been running so smoothly for so long, it is the new normal that has been going on for quite some time now (years?). THANK YOU!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I listen to it on the radio HoF. Good commentation leaves our imagaination to its own device. Way scarier.
War of the Worlds scary. \+;

On the good news front my pa n law left an alkaleak in his Pelican 2350, asked me to fix it. After some trial and error it works again. And a seller at the big river still has some Icon Solo in stock. Well they did until last night. I bought the last ones they had. Love those Maxwell Smart looking things.
"the old flashlight in an inkpen trick".

Poppy

Flashaholic
Icon Solo... never heard of it, so I had to google it and Amazon has them for $6.99 a 2x aaa light pretty cool looking. I was tempted to get one, then figured "Ah it probably has a stupid blue white tint."

So my friend, I guess it is time for a quick little review for "Even $8 lights aren't so bad anymore"

What is the tint like?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I should have phrased my last post differently. A hurricane is heading north toward southern California (and staying off the coast the whole way). By the time it reaches us, it should be broken up and provide much needed rain. After a record heatwave, this will be a welcome change. It might put out some of the fires and the cooler temperatures it will likely bring should put an end to the blackouts caused by the heatwave. Though it appeared so, in my last post I was not being sarcastic. Ironic, maybe, suggesting one disaster would counter others. Every cloud has a silver lining. This one just happens to be a Category 4 hurricane.