Good news this year ?

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love classical music. One of my favorite programs come on on Sunday mornings (from 5 am until noon iirc) - Sunday Baroque. Great listening. You can sense the stress just leaking out of you.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
At my work it is a fast paced assignment where months pass like weeks. It is coming to a conclusion though with nothing looming on the horizon. Sigh, life as a consultant.

Well silver lining thing, last Saturday my area received a Texas style rain event where 5 gallon buckets of rain fell on an area about 50 square miles for a solid hour. It was up to 9" of rain. All that water runs down stream. And roads cross streams. And people live on the edges of those streams. So water buldged out of the stream banks taking it with peoples lawn furniture, boats, sheds etc and that stuff got lodged up against bridges while the massive run off made its way down stream. That means in some cases bridges way out in the country side slid on their foundations or in some cases got flipped over like a pancake and flowed downstream like a small boat.

Nobody got hurt but being in the country side there aren't any alternate routes between the farms and the market unless one travels dozens and dozens of miles around in a detour. Emergency bridge repairs needed means this consultant was notified that any day contracts will be let for these bridge repairs. So much for the 100 day vacation (called furlough) this winter. This will be my third time doing this and the last time was a lot of fun.

I don't mean fun like a tiptoe through the tulips all day fun, but fun like get to see cool places time forgot. Like what were once wagon trails that played a role in the building of America, or played a role in history. One project was replacing a bridge built in the 1930s on a road George and Martha used to travel regularly to get to church. Another was a shortcut general Custer (yes that Custer) used to get ahead of General Lee retreating to NC to meet up with other troops and keep the war going, but Custers decision and luck led to the end of the Civil War in America a few days later.

It's funny how we go through day to day through life and except for a few never really consider the past and how we got where we are today. But assignments like what is looming create an oppertunity to learn about the past good, bad, ugly and in between. Being a consultant means it could be the worst assignment in my 33 years or it could be the best. My chips are on somewhere between but the good news is a 9" rain event that caused my roof to leak will probably provide the financial resources to have a new roof installed without having to do a second mortgage on my house.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Icon Solo... never heard of it, so I had to google it and Amazon has them for $6.99 a 2x aaa light pretty cool looking. I was tempted to get one, then figured "Ah it probably has a stupid blue white tint."

So my friend, I guess it is time for a quick little review for "Even $8 lights aren't so bad anymore"

What is the tint like?

I posted a few words about the Solo at the thread in the budget section.

I had a slew of them at one point but gave them all away. The one remaining one had factory batteries in it that leaked and ruined the light. So I bought some more.

The good news is they arrived a week early. More good news is none of the batteries installed at the factory had leaked on any of them.

Radio

Modulated Moderator
Where to begin? Well, I'm still alive, since the range was shut down for so long I began playing with my flashlights again. Boy, have things changed! I have bought dozens of new lights, amazing lights. I remember playing with and helping to build some of the first LED lights. Bunch of grand kids, all three of my boys have bought new homes this year, all less than thirty minutes away from me. I have less than eight years to go until retirement, I may actually make it. Hoping all of my old friends, and I do mean old, are still here. I miss Larry, but I'll never forget all the good times. I guess I'm back, anyone know of any good lights? :)

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Churches and some businesses can open indoors now in San Diego county. I'll be in an air conditioned building at church this Sunday when it's supposed to get up to 112 degrees. That's pretty good news for me.

scout24

Flashaholic
Good news? We've had some beautiful mornings the last few days. The garden has produced well all summer. I watched deer, turkeys, rabbits, groundhogs, squirrels and chipmunks on my dog walks today. I was able to get up and walk them! Some days that's no mean feat. I've been able to shoot my bow a bit. Our chickens are laying eggs and are endlessly entertaining to watch. Despite some empty spots on the shelves, there's an embarrasingly wide variety of food in my local grocery store. There is some doom and gloom, but there's a lot to be thankful for.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
My power is back on after a 2.5 hour blackout from 8-10:30 p.m.. Someone hit a power pole in my area. Luckily, the blackout occurred when it was dark and cooler outside (it was 101 degrees today). Got a good chance to use my lights and we were pretty well prepared for a nighttime blackout. Of course my house didn't look like it lost power. It was a good test run in case we have rolling blackouts again (possibly this weekend). I just don't want to have them during the heat of the day. You realize how thankful you are for having things like electricity and a.c. after going without them for even a short time.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Sounz like in your case the good news is there's no more bad news. Sheesh!

The new Beverly Hills theme song:
Boys it changed……
Rolling Black outs……
Misery……
So the next thing you know ole Ted's real aware
The kin folk said "move Ted move away from there"
"Californee aint the place you oughta be"
So they loaded up the truck and moved from Beverly……
Hills that is……
Pandemic plague……
Hollyweird……

Theme music begins playing.

On the opposiste coast it's turning into Fall. Beautiful September sunsets on the drive home remind you your dirty windshield has been neglected all summer and cool, dewey mornings remind you not to forget your boots on the front porch again. The morning coffee smells a little better but the bed was so dang comfy in the cool night air that you over slept. The good news it's Saturday and you don't have to work today.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
For deciding good versus bad news, some see the glass as half empty, some see it as half full. I want to know what's in the glass first.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My step son said "the glass is never half empty as long as there's air". He said "it's kinda like digging a half a hole"……
I've always thought of the half thing as "room for more". Yet when it's full of spoiled milk it's time for a change.

ledbetter

Enlightened
Sounz like in your case the good news is there's no more bad news. Sheesh!

The new Beverly Hills theme song:
Boys it changed……
Rolling Black outs……
Misery……
So the next thing you know ole Ted's real aware
The kin folk said "move Ted move away from there"
"Californee aint the place you oughta be"
So they loaded up the truck and moved from Beverly……
Hills that is……
Pandemic plague……
Hollyweird……

Theme music begins playing.

On the opposiste coast it's turning into Fall. Beautiful September sunsets on the drive home remind you your dirty windshield has been neglected all summer and cool, dewey mornings remind you not to forget your boots on the front porch again. The morning coffee smells a little better but the bed was so dang comfy in the cool night air that you over slept. The good news it's Saturday and you don't have to work today.
Yeah, I'm glad California is getting some bad press so people will leave or stay away. Where I live the weather is perfect all the time and I've got no complaints. It's also good to remember that if California was a separate country, it would be the 7th largest economy in the world. It's big geographically and culturally. I've been back East, got family there, and it's ok but with those winters and then the humidity, I say No Thanks!

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I'm glad California is getting some bad press so people will leave or stay away. Where I live the weather is perfect all the time and I've got no complaints. It's also good to remember that if California was a separate country, it would be the 7th largest economy in the world. It's big geographically and culturally. I've been back East, got family there, and it's ok but with those winters and then the humidity, I say No Thanks!
Bad press promotes good change. If enough people vote with their feet, politicians get scared and stop passing stupid laws ( or they lose funding to pay for enforcement of stupid laws). If they finally get a clue that people would rather endure a hurricane over their rule, maybe we can finally break free of the real disaster in California, our government. (I mean I want a positive change in our leadership that doesn't restrict our rights and tax us into oblivion. I do not want anarchy or California to be allowed to secede from the U.S.) If people were once again free to make a living without restrictive interference, California would be an amazing place to live. I look forward to that day.

Empath

Flashaholic
Take note that the last several posts are completely off-topic.

The good news is that we can remedy that problem if necessary.

jrgold

Enlightened
we get monday off work, and im not quite sure why lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
we get monday off work, and im not quite sure why lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are American:

Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.

If you are not American then it's just good news. : D

harro

Enlightened
Purely a selfish bit of good news for me, i have a negative result (positive news for me ) from my first six month CT and MRI post cancer ( LeioMyoSarcoma ) scans. I feel like i have won the Lotto. To look down at the grass, and think it could have been so easily looking UP at the grass, had i not have gone to the doctor when i first noticed that little bit of pain. My chances now are 5% of any reoccurrence of LMS over a 10 year period, odds i will take any day.

Ohh, and we now have Starbucks Coffee in those capsule thingies that go in the coffee machines. Not sure if thats a +ive or -ive though. I know you guys in the US have had it forever.

:grin2:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm out riding my bike almost every day. When winter rolls in I have my Concept 2 indoor rowing machine to fall back on.

Will file for social security this month.

Whole Foods no longer limits quantity of egg and butter purchases.