Good news this year ?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I'm out riding my bike almost every day. When winter rolls in I have my Concept 2 indoor rowing machine to fall back on.
Will file for social security this month. [...]
Oh man that's awesome congrats, I bet you earned it. :thumbsup:
Only a couple days ago I was just doing some retirement planning on my end, so am excited for you.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The founder of Jelly Belly has turned into Willy Wonka. Who wants to find a golden ticket and win a candy factory? No joke.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Great news, harro!

The paperwork associated with a necessary background check went through, and I finally received the certification I'd requested. Given the delays associated with pretty much ANYTHING this year, I'll call that a win! The results were never in doubt, but the fact that I have proof of the completion is nice.

Light-saber

Newly Enlightened
Gas prices have been hovering around $3/gal which is really low. But significant decrease in the need to drive since lockdown, so not appreciating the drop in fuel cost. :)

Stay well, folks!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A buddy of mine (a cow farmer) told me about what is called "a seed bank" where approx half the seeds have a soft shell for quick germination and the other half a hard shell to store in the soil for times when the quick germinating seeds don't make it. Drought, temperatures and other factors often cause grasses to either go dormant or die. The seed bank ensures continuity of the species.

It seems in the middle 1800's when a bunch of Egyptian tombs were raided they often found grass and wheat seeds in the palm of the mummies. And the seeds would germinate!!

On a not good news note I was trying to eradicate an invasive weed in my yard called Japanese clover. When I learned it's seeds "bank" for up to 8 years I just figured "welp, that's it". Then I learned when to strategically spray Spectricide prior to the stems becoming woody. After eradicating the total crop one spring I would pull each new sprout as they popped up. Literally dozens would pop up each day at first. Every day, all summer. Year 1 was awful but I persisted. This year (#5) was way more manageable. There were probably less than 100 sprouts this year. If left unchecked under shade trees it destroys every other grass plant and even the other weeds. Then it goes dormant in winter leaving bare soil showing. So by combining a grass called creeping red fescue with careful plucking of the Japanese lespedeza I had a decent grass cover last winter and this year looks even better.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blyk, how are your neighboring lawns, do the owners do same treatment to their lawns?
Or does it matter having infected lawns a spit fling away?

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
A buddy of mine (a cow farmer) told me about what is called "a seed bank" where approx half the seeds have a soft shell for quick germination and the other half a hard shell to store in the soil for times when the quick germinating seeds don't make it. Drought, temperatures and other factors often cause grasses to either go dormant or die. The seed bank ensures continuity of the species.

It seems in the middle 1800's when a bunch of Egyptian tombs were raided they often found grass and wheat seeds in the palm of the mummies. And the seeds would germinate!!

On a not good news note I was trying to eradicate an invasive weed in my yard called Japanese clover. When I learned it's seeds "bank" for up to 8 years I just figured "welp, that's it". Then I learned when to strategically spray Spectricide prior to the stems becoming woody. After eradicating the total crop one spring I would pull each new sprout as they popped up. Literally dozens would pop up each day at first. Every day, all summer. Year 1 was awful but I persisted. This year (#5) was way more manageable. There were probably less than 100 sprouts this year. If left unchecked under shade trees it destroys every other grass plant and even the other weeds. Then it goes dormant in winter leaving bare soil showing. So by combining a grass called creeping red fescue with careful plucking of the Japanese lespedeza I had a decent grass cover last winter and this year looks even better.

He might enjoy Sacred Cow: The Case for (Better) Meat, by Diana Rodgers, Robb Wolf 2020. As the title says, a case for better meat and debunking of the veg and u.n. and media propaganda against red meat in general.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
KG, my neighbors have largely removed the large trees in their front yard so a strain of Bermuda grass that doesn't grow in shade dominates their yards. My yard has 2 large oak trees.

My next door neighbor has a large crop of the lespediza, which is where mine came from. I have taken the war against lespedeza across the property line and slowly the invasion is being thwarted. She has a large dogwood tree that also stops the Bermuda from growing.

The lespediza was thought to be a good erosion preventer and animal feed after WW2 in my state. Time has shown the opposite to be true.

5S, my buddy taught me a lot about proper soil management and how to naturally establish grasses that can sustain themselves without comercial products and lots of watering. Part of his farm is dedicated to growing grasses for horse feed also. I asked him how much steak he eats. He told me he doesn't eat beef.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
BF, My hat's off to you! Lawn maintence is a lot of seasonal work
Here in CA we have both deciduous and live oaks. The live variety constantly shed leaves throughout the year
I removed the lawn completely around the trees bases about 10ft diameter, and then laid drain rock paths with bender boarders. I decided lawn maintenance is too much time consuming work for this retiree :)
We live in an unincorporated area of my county. Like you property lines are (were) wide open. Recently city folks moved in right next door and they immediately installed chain link fences. It looks like a huge dog run, so we're waiting to see what animals move in as well
The good news is my established hedge of Photinia and Privet is tall enough to block out their shinny new cage

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kestrel,

Nyctophiliac,
I miss your photos with lights around the UK.
Maybe we'll see more of them?

Katherine,
I enjoy your posts. Glad you joined us.
Playing piano, while brewing coffee! :thumbsup:

:)

Poppy, have a peek over in the Amber HDS thread. Sorry there have been no new pictures for so long, but hope those meet your approval!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Cage is right Gary. Funny how that works.

When I first moved into my house the neighbors did not know what to think. People who had lived in the neighborhood since it was built in the 50's and 60's that did not realize I did too, only 3 blocks over. I enjoyed tweaking the younger ones at first. Spread some mulch and watch what they do. I did not intentionally cause a beauty contest but did enjoy watching others try to out "Jones" each other.

They spread more mulch, fancier mulch. Water the dirt lawn. Watch them bring in a landscaper. My ultimate tweak was to bring home a sexy black Japanese sports car and park it in the driveway facing the street and cover it up with a fancy car cover. Cost me 3 grand but the entertainment value was priceless. Several people traded in their Ozzy and Harriet vehicles for shiney new Hyundai's or big ole Chrysler muscle cars. Even the 88 year old man on the other side of me from the lespediza lady bought a fancy new red pickup with mag wheels and chrome accents shortly after I waxed down my 95 Ranger one day in 2011. May he rest in peace.

The good news in the whole thing is over time I have been a part of a block filled with flashlight junkies as that too was a contest at first. Peace was declared when I was walking around with a 1940's Burgess 3D light one evening. It kinda turned the lumen war into a psuedo flashlight club. Respect for the photons ensued.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
At the close of 2020, worldwide literacy was way up. Pollution was way down. Average lifespan was up and war was way down. Global poverty, under nourishment, child birth mortality are way down too. Illiteracy is better in the poorest countries now then it was in the richest countries in 1970.

And if that aint enough, think about this. If a pandemic had broken out just a few years ago the technology available at the time was lacking such that a vaccine for a novel virus with potential to kill could not have been developed so quickly.

Through technology more help is available for depression. More ways to help others has also increased with technology. More restaraunts deliver, more meals on wheels programs are taking place, and more people are volunteering to help others.
The Salvation Army had a record year for donations in 2020 too.

But maybe the most important good news of 2020 is we are more grateful for what we have despite all of the bad news we get bombarded with every minute of every day it seems.

So cheer up, 2020 was a great year in many respects.

https://www.facebook.com/46675576620/posts/10157303877916621?vh=e&d=n&sfns=mo
A little video showing some good did happen.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
AC⚡DC came out with a new album in 2020. For a bunch of 60+ year olds they still enjoy their hobby.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
A rather opportune day to bump this thread, lol.

I have had some good things come together for me personally, in the second half of this year.
Not going to bother with detailing those, as that isn't really the point of the thread tho. :eek:

We've had some nice new contributors to CPF this year; don't want to name names, but it has been nice reading some new perspectives here. :)
Have also seen some names from years ago, show up more often this year. Owen, Goatee, Flying Turtle, novice; a few others that escape me at the moment. :wave:

Last edited: